Author Topic: No right to free speech in NJ  (Read 3593 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
No right to free speech in NJ
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:07:22 PM »
2A supporter ejected from hearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQJ5HsLZ6E
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
Re: No right to free speech in NJ
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
I didn't watch your link, but I saw what I think is the same video elsewhere..

Were the people cheering his removal from the room? If so, I'm even more thoroughly disgusted.

Also, why do I get the general sense that the spiffier the uniform an agent of a government wears, the less they give a crap about other people's rights or even common decency?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
I didn't watch your link, but I saw what I think is the same video elsewhere..

Were the people cheering his removal from the room? If so, I'm even more thoroughly disgusted.

Also, why do I get the general sense that the spiffier the uniform an agent of a government wears, the less they give a crap about other people's rights or even common decency?

I'm not sure ... the site where I found the link seemed to think they crowd was applauding the man who was being removed.   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »
I'm not sure ... the site where I found the link seemed to think they crowd was applauding the man who was being removed.   =|

that was my read as well.

his right to free speech was not abused.  he just was denied the right to speak there, i  thought they were a bit quick to pull that trigger but he was getting a lil loud and bug eyed

he handled being tossed well. did not play into their hands
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
i  thought they were a bit quick to pull that trigger
The Senator was at least being honest and upfront about what he thought of his constituents subjects.
That level of candor is rarely seen.

Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »

his right to free speech was not abused.  he just was denied the right to speak there

"...and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Since the first is incorporated, they sure as hell did. I did not here him yell, threaten or berate his "betters" in strong, clear voice so that he could be heard.  He wasn't even looking at them, he's looking down at his prepared statement (that he is reading).

It wasn't how he said it, it was what he said that the NJ Senator didn't like and had him tossed on the flimsiest of pretexts.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
"YOU'RE out of order!  The whole freakin' system is out of order!" --Homer Simpson  (I know he was quoting movie lines, but it sounds better in Homer's voice)
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
"...and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Since the first is incorporated, they sure as hell did. I did not here him yell, threaten or berate his "betters" in strong, clear voice so that he could be heard.  He wasn't even looking at them, he's looking down at his prepared statement (that he is reading).

It wasn't how he said it, it was what he said that the NJ Senator didn't like and had him tossed on the flimsiest of pretexts.

your perspective is different from mine.  oddly even the member of his own group who posted the link acknowledges "he got loud"
ymmv
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 03:17:19 PM »
your perspective is different from mine.  oddly even the member of his own group who posted the link acknowledges "he got loud"
ymmv

Gosh, I hope that his slightly elevated volume and inflections didn't scare anyone, what with the importance of the message he was speaking.

I think he was very well prepared and dare I say, eloquent. The problem is that in these days, truth is an offense and those who are on the wrong side of truth will use any means to silence the truth.

Barack Obama

• friends
Re: Re: No right to free speech in NJ
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
as he got excited his eloquence waned. when they get loud and start repeating themselves its all down hill. he reminded me of the guy who got told to sit down shut up or get out at the middle school orientation. its sad i agreed with them both but as they started to lose it i found myself wishing they'd shut up, or at least cool out a bit. in both cases i was disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »
i've seen worse

no disrespect to the gentleman from jersey for his position was sound.  he just got a lil carried away. a modicum of self control is a good thing when public speaking

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »
I don't see the part where he got loud. I could see it seems like he was getting upset but he was completely calm.
It seems to me that they were clapping for him, and they were booing the guy telling him he was out of order.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:26 AM »
no?  even folks from the group he represents acknowledge him getting loud

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
Didn't sound that loud to me.

• friends
Re: Re: No right to free speech in NJ
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »
he wasn't. they were looking for a reason, and he gave it to them. twice. second time was when he responded to the "keep it on the bill" remark. he woulda been smart to stick to his planned remarks rather than argue with the chair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »
he wasn't. they were looking for a reason, and he gave it to them. twice. second time was when he responded to the "keep it on the bill" remark. he woulda been smart to stick to his planned remarks rather than argue with the chair.

It all depends ofn your point of view. Do you see them as civil servants or civil masters?

Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
It all depends ofn your point of view. Do you see them as civil servants or civil masters?

Hmmmm.  Eyeballs need cleaning.  I read that as "do you see them as civil servants or evil masters?" [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
Hmmmm.  Eyeballs need cleaning.  I read that as "do you see them as civil servants or evil masters?" [tinfoil]

I think your eyeballs are working just fine  ;)

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
Wow, imagine what would have happened had he stood up and said "Give me liberty or give me death !"

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
Wow, imagine what would have happened had he stood up and said "Give me liberty or give me death Don't taze me Bro !"

FIFY

Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »
when you get invited to speak in that type of forum you need to know the rules.  he handled their booting him well.
its like a forum  when they boot you your first amendment rights are not violated

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
No.  It is not a interwebz forum.  It's the .gov.  The one place where the Founders and the Supremes have stated over and over again that you have the right to be heard and not made to go away. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
No.  It is not a interwebz forum.  It's the .gov.  The one place where the Founders and the Supremes have stated over and over again that you have the right to be heard and not made to go away. 

could you point to that supreme court ruling?  and explain how it might apply here

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »
could you point to that supreme court ruling?  and explain how it might apply here

So because congress didn't make a law it's okay  ???