Author Topic: No right to free speech in NJ  (Read 3594 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: No right to free speech in NJ
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 03:22:09 PM »
congress?  i was asking for help finding the supreme court ruling he referred to

on gets "invited" to speak at legislative hearings
he got uninvited
he could still go outside say anything he wanted
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 03:25:16 PM »
congress?  i was asking for help finding the supreme court ruling he referred to

on gets "invited" to speak at legislative hearings
he got uninvited
he could still go outside say anything he wanted

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
when you get invited to speak in that type of forum you need to know the rules.  he handled their booting him well.
its like a forum  when they boot you your first amendment rights are not violated

An internet forum is privately owned. The GOVERNMENT, under the constitution, MUST guarantee your right to be heard.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

so you can't find that ruling either?
i liked what he said too.  but as soon as he got warned "stay on the bill" he screwed up arguing with the chair.  it gave them all they needed to have him removed

he'd have been wiser not to rise to the bait and continue his remarks
perhaps he learned for next time
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 03:40:10 PM »
Here you go.

1st Amendment Incorporation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gitlow_v._New_York

Specific Right to Petition for Redress of Grievances:

Incorporation is suggested in Edwards v. South Carolina, 372 U.S. 229 (1963) and is essentially the basis of Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620 (1996).

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »
Here you go.

Right to petition for redress of grievances:

Incorporation is suggested in Edwards v. South Carolina, 372 U.S. 229 (1963) and is essentially the basis of Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620 (1996).

and how do you envision that applying here?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:46:53 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
Re: Re: No right to free speech in NJ
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
so then you acknowledge his first amendment right was not violated?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »

I'm having a hard time with this "we have no rights unless the supreme court grants them" concept.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »
As am I, Tallpine.

As am I.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 07:12:47 PM »

How was it not violated?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
his right to speak was not infringed. his right to speak there after being ruled out of order did/does not exist.  he was free however to talk in the hall the parking lot in his car on the way home.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
Which qualifies as "petitioning the government...", how again?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
his right to speak was not infringed. his right to speak there after being ruled out of order did/does not exist.  he was free however to talk in the hall the parking lot in his car on the way home.

Are you sure about that? Have they been designated 1st amendment zones? :facepalm:
So all the opposing side has to do is rule you out of order and you are no longer allowed to present your views on the bill that is being discussed? I don't think the 1st amendment said you are only allowed to present your views as long as the ones in control agree with them. What exactly did he say that was so out of order that he was required to leave?

"Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech,...or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

I rewatched the video again, I am finding it really hard to find out where he gets loud. Does get the crazy lady eyes going though. Are you talking about the part where he says, "I am on the bill, and I will be heard."? That is the only part where his voice gets more assertive, but certainly not loud or shouting or anything.

What does he say after the guy says, "You are out of order and I will ask you to leave."?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

brimic

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »
The LEO doing the ejecting does have a spiffy uniform though.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama