Author Topic: Micro Stamping Comes to CA  (Read 5880 times)

Waitone

• friend
Micro Stamping Comes to CA
« on: May 20, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
I thought microstamping had been killed off because it is technologically not feasible.

Well, seems CA just implemented the technology thanks to a law signed by a former republican govinator.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/18/5430874/calif-law-takes-effect-on-microstamping.html
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1172123053
http://www.montereyherald.com/news/ci_23276318/california-enforce-micro-stamping-gun-law
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:35:36 AM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Micro Stamping Comes to CA
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
I certainly am not counting on it, but this would be a perfect opportunity for manufacturers to halt all gun sales to California, especially to law enforcement.

The one article stated, and I did not know, that the inventor of the technology "is an NRA member". Hmm.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »
Being an NRA member means nothing, heck obama could be an NRA member if he took 5 mins off of his golf game and ordered a staffer to shake down a donor and send in the $25 for him.   :rofl:
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 08:29:46 PM »
Being an NRA member means nothing, heck obama could be an NRA member if he took 5 mins off of his golf game and ordered a staffer to shake down a donor and send in the $25 for him.   :rofl:

This is true. My interest would be if the guy was a long standing NRA member or someone who joined just prior to or just after starting work on the tech.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
How does this work?   The  article said it stamps  the bullet with the  gun''s serial number.  Was this poor writing, or is this  accurate?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »
How does this work?   The  article said it stamps  the bullet with the  gun''s serial number.  Was this poor writing, or is this  accurate?

If it works as I have recalled, it's poor writing. It stamps the case with (possibly) the gun's serial number.

It does this by having a "microstamp" on the firing pin.

So, an EASILY defeated "safety measure" that will do as much for preventing or solving crime as the Maryland "ballistic fingerprinting."

In other words, nothing. But it will create a hassle and extra cost for legitimate gun owners.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:36:18 AM »
In other words, nothing. But it will create a hassle and extra cost for legitimate gun owners.

I'm thinking, from what I'm reading on state gun forums, that there is sufficient evidence for a lawsuit to at least temporarily halt this again. That said, and I wouldn't want to be the innocent party involved, but I would pull up a chair with popcorn in hand to watch the first trial for a shooting, with one of these cases as evidence, that happened to be picked up at a gun range and planted at the scene of a crime that occurred while that gun's owner was at work surrounded by dozens of witnesses.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 08:42:28 AM »
Sounds like many people in CA will be revolver shooters.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »
Sounds like many people in CA will be revolver shooters.

Or use one of those AR brass-catchers.

A neat rig would be an AR with a 5.7 upper with the 50rd stick mag up there, and it ejects out the bottom of the mag well into a recepticle to store your spent brass.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
Brass catcher.  Sounds like they should legislate that since it will slow down magazine changes.

Micro stamping is gun control.  Brass catchers would be "green" and encourage people to save or recyle their brass.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 10:00:03 AM »
So the idea, if I understand, is that the firing pin would essentially "stamp" the serial number on the primer.  A few thoughts immediately jump to mind:

1. A number is useless without a list to compare it to.  So, for this to work, you need a database of numbers to refer to.  Which means registration of all firearms.
2. If we're talking about microscopic stamping, isn't this also something that could be defeated by simply rubbing the face of the firing pin with sandpaper far a few seconds?
3. If the pin has to be "serialed" to match the gun, wouldn't repairs or replacement parts also have to be controlled and restricted?
4. Is there a grandfather clause in any of this legislation, or will any old gun become illegal for lack of an appropriate firing pin?
5. What about rimfires?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
Are serial numbers unique to each gun?  If Colt puts serial number C12345 on a pistol, does that mean Glock can't use the same number?  Can Remington put C12345 on a rifle or shotgun?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:39 AM »
You can use the breechface or bolt face rather than the firing pin to stamp the brass or primer, much more easily.

Replacing the firing pin will not defeat it.  And it could be so light to the naked eye as to be effectively hidden.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
You can use the breechface or bolt face rather than the firing pin to stamp the brass or primer, much more easily.

Replacing the firing pin will not defeat it.  And it could be so light to the naked eye as to be effectively hidden.

Yes, but if you finely sand the entire bolt and/or breechface, hidden or not, it will be gone or at least marred.

Which, if I recall correctly, was a problem in any case: the "stamp" wasn't always legible on the case/primer. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
So the idea, if I understand, is that the firing pin would essentially "stamp" the serial number on the primer.  A few thoughts immediately jump to mind:

1. A number is useless without a list to compare it to.  So, for this to work, you need a database of numbers to refer to.  Which means registration of all firearms.
2. If we're talking about microscopic stamping, isn't this also something that could be defeated by simply rubbing the face of the firing pin with sandpaper far a few seconds?
3. If the pin has to be "serialed" to match the gun, wouldn't repairs or replacement parts also have to be controlled and restricted?
4. Is there a grandfather clause in any of this legislation, or will any old gun become illegal for lack of an appropriate firing pin?
5. What about rimfires?

In the case of #1, CA essentially already has "registration" of handguns, and is starting the same for rifles in 2014. But yes, the ionly way this works is with a database that the .gov has full access to.

In the case of #4, it is (for now) only new semi-auto handguns that manufacturers want to add to the CA "safe handgun roster". All semi-autos currently on the CA roster are exempt, as are all revolvers. I would not expect this to last long, which at some point goes back to my first post in this topic - manufacturers are going to have to decide if it's worth it to sell to CA ( I say no), and if they decide it isn't, for it to stick, they have to forego "LEO exemptions". Anything less, and they play right into the CA legislator’s hands.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »
Funny, if I was involved in the decision-making process, I'd insist that LEO wepaons also be stamped, which would make officer-involved shooting easier to investigate.  Right?   >:D
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
Are serial numbers unique to each gun?  If Colt puts serial number C12345 on a pistol, does that mean Glock can't use the same number?  Can Remington put C12345 on a rifle or shotgun?

A world wide, industry wide standard, with blocks assigned to manufacturers, a la MAC addresses on networking equipment.  Which of course does nothing for the billion or so working firearms out there.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »

So, polishing the breechface to improve feeding will be forbidden?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
I would really like to hear one of these weasels explain, during a press conference, why law enforcement agencies should be exempt from microstamping.  Because cops are more trustworthy than private citizens?  I wonder how many people in the audience would laugh out loud.

There is another angle that gun companies could use with this.  Rather than refuse to sell to LE, they could only offer new guns with microstamping technology, for two or three times the cost.  "Sure, we'll sell you the new Glock 21SF, but it has to be the 21SF/MS.  You can have them for the bargain price of $1100 each."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »

There is another angle that gun companies could use with this.  Rather than refuse to sell to LE, they could only offer new guns with microstamping technology, for two or three times the cost.  "Sure, we'll sell you the new Glock 21SF, but it has to be the 21SF/MS.  You can have them for the bargain price of $1100 each."

There is no question that micro-stamping will already significantly add to the cost, especially if they were only to do it for sales to one state, because who outside of CA would buy a microstamped handgun? This is one where basic supply and demand should play a clear role.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »
There is no question that micro-stamping will already significantly add to the cost, especially if they were only to do it for sales to one state, because who outside of CA would buy a microstamped handgun? This is one where basic supply and demand should play a clear role.

Simple - just don't sell any guns to Califrickia  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
Simple - just don't sell any guns to Califrickia  :P

That's what I said.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
Can anyone confirm or deny the lifespan of the micro stamp? I have heard that they only last 10-20 rounds. I am guessing a little dry firing with snap caps could take care of the stamp in no time.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 02:53:46 PM »
ny had just removed a law that was determined useless.  every new gun sold in this state needed a spent casing to be on file with the state police.  so if the gun didn't come with one the new owner needed to pay out of pocket to have the ffl drive to a range and fire it to save the brass.   it would cost between $15-30 extra if the manufactur didn't send one with the gun.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »
The companies should simply say they implemented it, but not actually do it, and claim that the brass has to be sent back to them for analysis, and then charge a lot for the work. >:D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic