Author Topic: Micro Stamping Comes to CA  (Read 5881 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Micro Stamping Comes to CA
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »
I see a new business opportunity arising in Nevada for replacement firing pins.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »
FYI, the California law requires the microstamp to be in at least two locations:

Penal Code section 31910, subdivision (b)(7)(A)

a semiautomatic pistol must be equipped
with microstamping technology-i.e., a microscopic array of characters that identify the make,
model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on
the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting
on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired. 

Simple - just don't sell any guns to Califrickia  :P

That is precisely what the gun-grabbers want.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »
I see a new business opportunity arising in Nevada for replacement firing pins.   =D

No, it can't be. That's where the ammo and reloading component depots are gonna be when that bill gets signed. We'll have to spread the wealth and let AZ and OR have a go at supplying other parts.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
FYI, the California law requires the microstamp to be in at least two locations:

Penal Code section 31910, subdivision (b)(7)(A)

That is precisely what the gun-grabbers want.

I think he means no guns to anyone, government agencies included.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »
I thought AZ and OR had the manly-flush toilets and incandescent bulb market cornered?  :angel:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
I think he means no guns to anyone, government agencies included.

:facepalm:

Well . . . never mind, then.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »
Is it even technically feasible?  That's probably the real point -- an effective ban on affordable semiautos (except to law enforcement, of course.)
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
Is it even technically feasible?  That's probably the real point -- an effective ban on affordable semiautos (except to law enforcement, of course.)

Bingo.

This requirement is unlikely to result in mass-produced semiauto pistols.  It's more likely to result in no more semiautos being added to California's "approved handgun" list.  In time, the state will probably add a microstamping requirement to revolvers, then to long guns, with predictable results.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »
a semiautomatic pistol must be equipped
with microstamping technology-i.e., a microscopic array of characters that identify the make,
model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on
the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting
on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired.

so, the firing pin and the bolt face?   would the bolt face even hit it hard enough to imprint?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 08:08:45 AM »

so, the firing pin and the bolt face?   would the bolt face even hit it hard enough to imprint?

I'm thinking maybe chamber for imprint #2 and it prints on case expansion?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 08:13:09 AM »
I'm thinking maybe chamber for imprint #2 and it prints on case expansion?

It'll add friction during extraction and smear lengthwise.  It'd have to be a 2 dimensional barcode, HK-style on those awful semiauto beasts of theirs but not quite as blatant.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 08:20:40 AM »
It'll add friction during extraction and smear lengthwise.  It'd have to be a 2 dimensional barcode, HK-style on those awful semiauto beasts of theirs but not quite as blatant.

That would have been my first thought, but I'm hearing a lot of talk about barrel replacement to circumvent. So maybe since the case contracts very slightly after maximum expansion it allows the stamp to remain legible? No idea, just trying to figure out why barrels are part of the conversation on both sides of the issue.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »
HK-style brass out of my 9mm or .45acp would distress me greatly in regards to reloading the brass.

How many times can you maim the wall of the brass like that before it falls apart?

And how much brass shaving or debris are you flinging into the action of your pistol during cycling?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 08:49:34 AM »
You know, they have kits for fire-lapping barrels by embedding fine abrasives in bullets; when the bullet is fired, it laps the barrel, smoothing out imperfections. (Not recommended for high-quality barrels, but if you've got one that's rough, pitted, or shot out, it can yield an improvement.)

Why wouldn't someone be able to do the same with brass cases? The amount of metal removed won't appreciably change chamber or headspace dimensions, but it seems that within a box or two, there's a good chance that any microstamp will be polished out. And it will look a lot like normal wear. (Hmmm . . . a Nevada-based business selling "Chamber Polishing Brass Cased Ammo" might be an opportunity for someone.  >:D )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
They make chamber hones right? You should be able to hone the stamp off pretty easily.

All that being said, this is about getting makers to stop selling to the public in CA not about anything else.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Micro Stamping Comes to CA
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
rookies
you need to put someone elses code on    alice cooper style

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I