Author Topic: Stuff like this is what's wrong with this country.  (Read 890 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Stuff like this is what's wrong with this country.
« on: May 22, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
12 year old throws harder then any other kids.   Since he's "too good" he can't pitch.  Can't make the other kids feel bad when he fans them.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/mass-little-leaguer-banned-pitching-because-throws-too-152547911.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sawdust

• friend
Re: Stuff like this is what's wrong with this country.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »
He should never have been in the Minors. That divison is for 10-11 year olds (9 if you are a superstar)

I have spent many years as a Little League Coach (and player as a young-un) over multiple leagues, and I've never heard of a 12 year old being allowed to playi in the Minors (regardless of their lack of experience or ability). 

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
The reason for the ban is that technically Beebe is too old to pitch in the Minors division. Yet the Westfield League has traditionally let 12-year-olds continue to pitch regardless of age or size.

A year or two is a big deal at that age.

I got no problem not letting a 12YO pitch to 9-11YO kids, in a league/division geared toward 9-11YO kids.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
A year or two is a big deal at that age.

I got no problem not letting a 12YO pitch to 9-11YO kids, in a league/division geared toward 9-11YO kids.

+1.

He should be playing in the next level up at his age where he would be average, at best.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »
He should never have been in the Minors. That divison is for 10-11 year olds (9 if you are a superstar)

Well, I'm sure he was 11 at some point.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »
Sounds like that league needs to either follow their own rules and boot all the 12 year olds or let the kid pitch.  When they are inconsistent it leads to problems like this.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 07:09:47 PM »
It sounds like they were trying to be flexible and got bit for it. If a kid is not very good, sounds like they would let them continue playing in minors even at age 12. Since this one was too good, they are trying to push him up to where he should be.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
The little league I recall from years ago was pretty strict.  Born before a certain date, you get into this level.  Born after and you stay in the lower level.  I don't recall this ever being a problem.  We had more problems with stuff like the umpire calling a game his kid was pitching in and idiot parents. 

I notice this kid is the coach's son.  They said he only just started playing baseball. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
Isn't (wasn't) the idea behind organized sports like Little League/Pop Warner/whatever the kids hockey is called to match kids of roughly equal age and talent?  At least until the parents and the commercial sponsors got into it.

The kid's a year older than the rest of the players.  At this stage, a year means significant physical development.  Letting him play in the 11-12 year old division would be like bringing a Japanese pro baseball player into MLB - significantly outclassing everybody else.

What's wrong with this countryt is that there are too many people wanting special consideration.  The kid's dad says developmentally he was “a full five years behind the 12-year-olds in the majors” because he's been playing lacrosse instead of baseball for the last five years.  Dad wants a break because his kid has not got experience playing baseball like all the other kids have.  Little League is not like golf or bowling where you get a "handicap" score to even you up against more experienced, more talented players.

No sympathy from this corner.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »
The kid's dad says developmentally he was “a full five years behind the 12-year-olds in the majors” because he's been playing lacrosse instead of baseball for the last five years.  Dad wants a break because his kid has not got experience playing baseball like all the other kids have.

That right there is what rubs me the wrong way.
There is a pretty wide spectrum of athletic abilities, a kid who is good at soccer, football, or lacrosse should pick up the skills to be a good baseball player fairly quickly. Those that are mediocre at other sports will likely make a mediocre baseball player at best. It all has to do with genetics and how well tuned their nervous system is, the finer skills and conditioning come from hundreds thousands of hours of repetitions.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama