Author Topic: Can we challenge the left to support gun ranges?  (Read 2569 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Can we challenge the left to support gun ranges?
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »
I was reading an article about a local gun store/range trying to open a new outdoor range, and I had this crazy thought.

The left is all concerned about us gun nuts being unsafe, right? They insist we don't have the training to safely engage bad guys with guns, right? They think we'll shoot innocent bystanders. Or they think we'll miss, and then the bad guy will take our gun away and shoot us with it, or whatever.

So is it possible to trick these tools into campaigning for more ranges, or better ranges?

Now, I know they're leftists, so even if they could be turned into range boosters, they'd probably push for something stupid, like govt subsidies, or something. But even then, at least they'd be putting out a narrative that transforms ranges from something scary we don't want in our neighborhood, into something we need, to make us safer.

Probably totally unworkable, I know. Just putting it out there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:27:50 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Can we challenge the left to support gun ranges?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »
This sort of already happens in some states.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
You are using logic.  Leftism relies more on magical thought and therefore will not be able to follow you.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:21:06 AM »
You are using logic.  Leftism relies more on magical thought and therefore will not be able to follow you.

Not only that, he is assuming that their argument about being unsafe is genuine.

It's not. They are lying. It's just a means to the end of taking all guns away.

So, it's HIGHLY unlikely they would ever agree to that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »
You are using logic.  Leftism relies more on magical thought and therefore will not be able to follow you.

This.

And by lefty "logic" because guns are unsafe, gun ranges are unsaferer.  Chicago tried this and got hammered by the 7th Circuit be "being too cute by half" to quote Judge Pozner.

To wit:  Immediately after the McDonald ruling Chicago passed it's new Gun (non)Permit Ordinance which required range practice as part of the certification (non) process, then passed an ordinance which made it physically impossible to build, open or operate a gun range within the city limits.

They got bitchslapped in the Ezell ruling.

It's a nice logical idea, but lefties are driven by emotion, not logic, so anything "gun" is bad, Mmmmmkay.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »
Anything is possible.

I got a lady to support suppressor legalization in NYS when she engaged me in a conversation about gunshot noises reaching her house from a nearby gun range.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Not only that, he is assuming that their argument about being unsafe is genuine.

No, I'm not expecting them to be either logical or genuine. That's why I said it was crazy, and probably wouldn't work, and can we trick them, somehow? I'm asking, is there a way to do this?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »
Depends on if you think using the force of State to take money from your neighbors by proxy of men with guns, to build your pet project, is more moral then their pet project.  Eminent domain to level old strip malls or seize ranches or farms on the edge of town, and build gun ranges with the land?

Arguably supportable under 2A and cotus obligation to regulate the militia, but not a peaceful path that secures the blessings of liberty upon us IMO.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:05:17 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »
it was crazy, and probably wouldn't work

Pre-requisites for a liberal inspired program  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:15 PM »
Anything is possible.

I got a lady to support suppressor legalization in NYS when she engaged me in a conversation about gunshot noises reaching her house from a nearby gun range.
With individuals, it is easier.  The lefty political machine is something else entirely.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »
Depends on if you think using the force of State to take money from your neighbors by proxy of men with guns, to build your pet project, is more moral then their pet project.  Eminent domain to level old strip malls or seize ranches or farms on the edge of town, and build gun ranges with the land?

Arguably supportable under 2A and cotus obligation to regulate the militia, but not a peaceful path that secures the blessings of liberty upon us IMO.

Way to miss the point.   :laugh:

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 08:08:28 PM »
The local Veteran's for Peace in our state's capital waged a battle to prevent a range being built as it would encourage general gun ownership, pollute via the air handling and lead disposal, create a situation via rentals where people could commit suicide, etc, etc.

They aren't about safety.  You can use the issue to expose them as hypocrites and as lying about caring about safety in front of the non-ideological majority on gun rights, which is useful when voting time comes around, but you won't get the ideological anti's to support your position.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »

This.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
  http://www.schillingshow.com/2012/12/19/guest-editorial-oppose-the-keene-police-firing-range/ 

This is an ongoing debat in my county for a proposed LEO only range.

My favorite objection is this:

Unendurable noise, averaging six times louder than the level of the County’s existing noise ordinance from as many as 200 gunshot rounds per minute, including automatic weapons bursts, will barrage two elementary schools, 8 churches, a community pool, a social club and countless residents, radiating 5 miles distance, up to 78 square miles. The County has said the noise ordinance need not apply. Why is it OK for only these residents to endure such noise? Who will compensate for their livestock’s low weight gains and sterility, their loss of farm livelihood, the fleeing wildlife and the destruction of their quality of life?

I never knew the volume of gunfire over those distances cause sterility... :rollseyes:

The left doesn't like guns. At all. Ever. Their responce to anything involving guns will be "NO" and you can't trick them to saying "yes" because it's programed that the word "gun" is automatically rewarded with a "No!"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
Before we moved out here on 40 acres, we lived in town and there was a gun range less than a mile away - right next to the golf course  :lol:

I paid for a membership and often when I went out there to shoot, the deer would be hanging out on the golf course with bullets whizzing by a few yards away.   =D

Sometimes you had to stop shooting to let the deer cross the firing line.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »
There are massive herds of antelope and deer around NRA Whittington Center.

It's a game refuge, because no hunting is allowed on the land.  Target shooting only. 

Riding past, I must have seen at least 300 antelope in 7 or 8 separate herds.

They KNOW it's safe to be there, and they mock hunters driving by.  I saw one stick its tongue out at me and blow a razzberry.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
I've watched bambi rats completely shut down highpower matches on Quantico. RM does not advise shooting the deer. Strongly advise.

The left stonewalls any gun range they can over lead issues. A Nimby of any political stripe runs them out based on noise and such. I've lost a few good places to shoot over Nimby BS. IPSC World Shoot was held in Yorktown, Va in the early days of IPSC. You can barely do anything fun outside now at Lafayette Gun Club, much less shoot on the move. Same thing happened all over California and the Northeast with a bunch of historic auto racetracks. Any issue we can use to close them down. Nevermind that the track was here 60 years before the condos. First we'll complain about the dust. Owner paves track at great expense. Then we'll complain about the noise, owner puts in curfews and every other dumb thing. Then we'll tax them out of existence. The racetrack model is a warning for gun ranges, the enemy is relentless and builds every closer to you constantly.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.