Author Topic: Reporters Are Idiots  (Read 713 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Reporters Are Idiots
« on: August 06, 2006, 09:44:35 AM »
The link to the whole story about gang infiltration into the Poconos is below, but the paragraph that got me was this one:

_The owners of a Pike County riding stable say they were attacked by Crips last August in a dispute over a parking space at a local deli. The victims were an elderly couple and their adult daughter. The daughter, who spoke on condition of anonymity because she fears another attack, said she suffered a fractured jaw and numerous lacerations, her father's cheek was split open, and her mother was roughed up.
So the daughter, out of fear of retaliation, requests anonymity. The brilliant reporter starts this paragraph out with, "The owners of a local riding stable". HOW MANY LOCAL RIDING STABLES COULD THERE POSSIBLY BE HERE? Now the gang members just have to look in the phone book.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060806/ap_on_re_us/poconos_gangs_2
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Reporters Are Idiots
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 10:21:22 AM »
I've often said semi-facetiously that the only qualification needed to report on any subject is a communications degree.

There's so many flipping idiots throughout the work spectrum today it's impossible reporting wouldn't have their share.  Just think of the mirth and frustration if the idiots around your office water cooler had a larger stage to propound their nonsense.

The people who are journalists today are symptomatic of most people today.  They don't know anything in particular about anything meaningful and are blissfully unaware that a basic knowledge of most topics can be gained by a little reading.  Since they are unconsciously ignorant they just reprint press releases or what they think they know.

That's why simple things like "you can find bomb making instructions on the internet" are presented like Deep Throat's revelations.  The response by those who know anything about anything is, "Well, duh, you can find them in the library too.  Or ask any farmer or most 13 year olds."

When I look at men like Teddy Roosevelt, Heinlein or even my dad I am amazed that we put such ignorant people into positions of "authority" today.  I can speak extemporaneously and intelligently on almost any topic you might name.  Most of any age (reading a sufficiently broad range does take a bit of time) on the gun forums can do the same.

When a reporter doesn't know basic facts about stuff well enough to correct the press release or official spokesman on outright errors to their face or in their article it kinda bugs me.  That they don't seem to even think to double-check on their own and then claim "well I can't know everything" as an excuse when confronted I actually get angry.  

Why can't they?  I can, and my job is certainly no easier than theirs and I certainly have no more free time.

Lazy stupid jack-holes.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Reporters Are Idiots
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:48:44 AM »
Crips in the Poconos, now I HAVE heard everythign rolleyes

Was it Stonewall Jackson that said reporters are nothing but traitors and spies?
Avoid cliches like the plague!