Author Topic: security state theatrics? Or are they really on edge?  (Read 1897 times)

tokugawa

• friend
security state theatrics? Or are they really on edge?
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »
 This link came to me from the AOPA- what is weird is how many agencys showed up-as if they wanted to have someone on hand no matter what they found. Are random stops coming to general aviation?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/annals-of-the-security-state-more-airplane-stories/276018/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: security state theatrics? Or are they really on edge?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »
Damn. I saw the name Larry Gaines and thought, "Where have I heard that name before?" When I read further down I saw he flies out of San Andreas. That's where I learned to fly. I must have met him there at one time or another (it's a really small airport). This story sucks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
This link came to me from the AOPA- what is weird is how many agencys showed up-as if they wanted to have someone on hand no matter what they found. Are random stops coming to general aviation?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/annals-of-the-security-state-more-airplane-stories/276018/

Our founding fathers failed so hard when they didn't put the right to travel into the constitution. 

Random stops already exist in the boating world.  "safety checks" cannot be denied.  I'm shocked they didn't just search his plane without consent to be honest.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »
Freaking crazy. :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Our founding fathers failed so hard when they didn't put the right to travel into the constitution. 

Random stops already exist in the boating world.  "safety checks" cannot be denied.  I'm shocked they didn't just search his plane without consent to be honest.

"Liberty " does imply the right to travel unmolested....

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »

Random stops already exist in the boating world.  "safety checks" cannot be denied.  I'm shocked they didn't just search his plane without consent to be honest.

Shouldn't need to.  4th Amendment (no search w/o warrant) and 1st (free association).  Shouldn't need a driver's licence (for any rig, land, water, or air) or vehicle licensing (same).  "Safety" checks only applied AFTER someone gives reason to believe the safety of fellow travelers is in jeopardy.

This guy:

could use a safety check.

So could this rig:

which usually gets ignored by the rolling impromptu road use tax authorities traffic cops.  Because illegals don't pay as regular as law abiding citizens when fined for bullshit vital safety violations.(1)

(1) Why a safety violation and not a "ride at your own risk?"  Because every dude in the bed becomes a 150lb meat missile in the case of a nasty accident.  Secure your load, ya fools, same as you would for an inanimate object.

You'd think.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:23:19 PM by Roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »
Not much I can say about this that wouldn't get me banned and/or arrested  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
The thing I find bothersome is this- exactly how powerful do the organs of state security have to get before they have no use for the pesky politicians?   AKA "civilian" oversight?  A standing domestic army is a extreme risk to representative government.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
unless someone is underage in that pick up they are legal
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »

We haven't had any true liberty. Ever.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 07:38:23 PM »

Depends on the state.  Some states have age limits, some have "farm truck," exceptions, some make it illegal while on roadways or above a certain speed.

Also, not so legal on lotsa Federal land.  Get you a nice, fat Federal ticket on lotsa military bases.

But, like you wrote, assumes they are of a certain age.  Which a lot ain't around here.  

Also, doesn't address the practical fact that that is an unsecured load. KE=0.5*m*v^2, where m=75kilos and v=36meters/second for every dude if the driver is going 80mph and wrecks. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
Depends on the state.  Some states have age limits, some have "farm truck," exceptions, some make it illegal while on roadways or above a certain speed.

Also, not so legal on lotsa Federal land.  Get you a nice, fat Federal ticket on lotsa military bases.

But, like you wrote, assumes they are of a certain age.  Which a lot ain't around here.  

Also, doesn't address the practical fact that that is an unsecured load. KE=0.5*m*v^2, where m=75kilos and v=36meters/second for every dude if the driver is going 80mph and wrecks. 

but what about the liberty to ride how you want in your own truck?

http://www.iihs.org/laws/mapcargoareas.aspx
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »

You can see their green cards ???

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »
You can see their green cards ???

:P

=D =D =D   well played!!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »

Not in California, they're not - 18 and over still can't ride in the back.

That was thanks to a family of undocumented migrant agricultural workers crammed into both the cab and box of a pickup, the driver of which decided it was ok to turn right at a red light as a big rig came through the intersection. 

It happened in North Highlands, CA - right at the intersection of Watt Avenue and Gate #2 of McClellan AFB.  My billeting was about 25 yards from that intersection.

It took a lot of fire trucks and hoses to wash that asphalt off.

California passed a "no passengers in pickup boxes" law very shortly thereafter.

To date, there are about 28 states with such laws on the books.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
Not in California, they're not - 18 and over still can't ride in the back.

That was thanks to a family of undocumented migrant agricultural workers crammed into both the cab and box of a pickup, the driver of which decided it was ok to turn right at a red light as a big rig came through the intersection. 

It happened in North Highlands, CA - right at the intersection of Watt Avenue and Gate #2 of McClellan AFB.  My billeting was about 25 yards from that intersection.

It took a lot of fire trucks and hoses to wash that asphalt off.

California passed a "no passengers in pickup boxes" law very shortly thereafter.

To date, there are about 28 states with such laws on the books.

and only 4 cover adults

ironically it was illegal to carry an unsecured dog long before it was illegal to carry kids in va

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »
Interestingly, it's mostly northern states, like MN, where riding in the back is unrestricted.  Maybe that's because it's just too damn cold up here to ever want to ride in the back.  (I think I saw a few snowflakes in the air today)
"It's good, though..."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 10:01:03 PM »
C&SD, once again...

It's for the children. 

IOW, adults can die, we'll just make more.  ;/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »
Kids can ride in a school bus without seatbelts but not in the back of a private pickup  :facepalm:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 10:20:53 PM »
We haven't had any true liberty. Ever.

Reminds me of an incident a few weeks ago. I was putting a stamp on an envelope, and noticed the American flag and the words "Freedom Forever". I then looked at some other stamps, and they had on them "Liberty Forever", "Justice Forever", and such.

I thought that was pretty ballsy, considering what .gov has been up to recently.

Then I realized these were "forever" stamps, so the freedom, liberty and justice sentiments on the stamps were only half there. That's about right.