Author Topic: Anyone else notice we have a new proxy war with Russia?  (Read 5938 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Anyone else notice we have a new proxy war with Russia?
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2013/may/28/eu-lifts-arms-embargo-on-syrian-rebels-live-updates

Russia is selling the Syrian government anti-aircraft missiles.

Meanwhile, McCain is meeting with the Syrian Rebels, and Britain/France want to sell arms to the rebels.

How long until we have a "police action" in Syria, do you think?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Anyone else notice we have a new proxy war with Russia?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2013/may/28/eu-lifts-arms-embargo-on-syrian-rebels-live-updates

Russia is selling the Syrian government anti-aircraft missiles.

Meanwhile, McCain is meeting with the Syrian Rebels, and Britain/France want to sell arms to the rebels.

How long until we have a "police action" in Syria, do you think?

I'll put it this way.

There's a possibility i'll take an IT contract in Djibouti supporting some knowledge management stuff. The idea of paying off my cars and having no mortgage in one year is appealing.

The contract language is being modified to include a caveat that "you may end up elsewhere *cough cough* SYRIA"

I think it's only a matter of time.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »
I think it is actually better described as a proxy war with Iran. The Russians are just milking the cow.

Where it goes, I don't know, but I have a hard time seeing this President authorize anything beyond (more) arms for the rebels and supportive drone strikes. Channeling my inner cynic, that could change if and only if the sound of impeachment drums is heard and the dog needs wagging. But that's admittedly a real stretch.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
I don't know what the right answer is on Syria. It's an easy answer that the Alawite set are the badder of the many bad guys and probably just need to be removed from the gene pool. It is clear that Russia is defending their traditional sphere of influence and physical turf.(Naval base) Any arms we send are likely to arm Hezbollah eventually. Any arms russia sends, well, I'd hate to be the russian tech getting the s300s operational. They are going to have a very short life span. I consider the russian s300s to be an escalation because they have to know what is going to happen. Occupation, someone like Turkey, Jordan, and sadly Russia needs to step up. Not us. They want their little buddy, they need to keep them from pissing off Israel.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Since the Soviets like to use the same names for everything, are these SA-10s or one of the eleven bazillion newer models?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »
Cool, apparently we have a surplus of democracy here so why not export some of it?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
Yeah, lets go liberate the *expletive deleted*it out of some more people that know nothing about it or want it.  =|
I promise not to duck.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »
Al Qaeda and its affiliates are the main revolutionaries against Asad and his Alawhite/Chrisitian coalition - how smart is this policy again?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:43 AM »
Al Qaeda and its affiliates are the main revolutionaries against Asad and his Alawhite/Chrisitian coalition - how smart is this policy again?

BUT BUT BUT

ITS A GOOD IDEA TO REMOVE REGIMES WE DONT LIKE AND REPLACE THEM WITH ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS!

Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:39:15 AM »
BUT BUT BUT

ITS A GOOD IDEA TO REMOVE REGIMES WE DONT LIKE AND REPLACE THEM WITH ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS!

Of course!

Seriously though, if that isn't reason enough for McCain to sit down and STFU I don't know what is.

But then, I suppose we can't be bothered to vet potential foreign gov'ts better than our own domestic leaders. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »
Of course!

Seriously though, if that isn't reason enough for McCain to sit down and STFU I don't know what is.

But then, I suppose we can't be bothered to vet potential foreign gov'ts better than our own domestic leaders. 
Hmmm......McCain or the Russians?   

Can I take "None of the Above"?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »
So, who supplies weapons to the rebels? Any official/legal sources, or have the EU and the US simply chosen to look the other way while black market dealers bring the stuff in?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
So, who supplies weapons to the rebels? Any official/legal sources, or have the EU and the US simply chosen to look the other way while black market dealers bring the stuff in?

That's a vital question, to which I haven't seen a definitive answer. I'm skeptical of the notion that the fight has ground on with the rebels only having access to "liberated" Syrian Army equipment.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 03:53:38 PM »
That's a vital question, to which I haven't seen a definitive answer. I'm skeptical of the notion that the fight has ground on with the rebels only having access to "liberated" Syrian Army equipment.

My guess would be events such as the 20,000 M16's that were "stolen" from a US warehouse in Kuwait; an event which occurred when magically no guards were on duty.

Scratch that, appears I was misinformed by an erroneous report; it was actually only ammo stolen, which is far less impressive.  http://news.kuwaittimes.net/2013/04/07/20000-m-16-rifle-rounds-stolen-from-moi-warehouse/

Yea, good question.  It seems that someone somewhere has to be quietly moving hardware into the fight.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:01:02 PM by Nick1911 »

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »
My guess would be events such as the 20,000 M16's that were "stolen" from a US warehouse in Kuwait; an event which occurred when magically no guards were on duty.

I'm not generally a tinfoil hatter, but my ample gut tells me this is somehow connected to Benghazi. I.e. why was Ambassador Stevens there in the first place, and why the administration was so desperate to conceal the facts?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »
I'm not generally a tinfoil hatter, but my ample gut tells me this is somehow connected to Benghazi. I.e. why was Ambassador Stevens there in the first place, and why the administration was so desperate to conceal the facts?

May not have anything to do with Bhengazi directly, but could be the next desired "Wag the Dog" distraction for everything that's going on. McCain is addled enough, and a "Third-way/bipartisan" sellout enough to go along.

Personally, in regards to what's gone on in the 2000's... my foreign policy would be heavy on the "Shock and Awe", kill people, break all their things, and light to absolutely nonexistent on the nation building/occupation.

Situations like Syria, where both sides have a nominal antipathy for Western Civ, give arms and intel to both sides to maximize the grinding down. Or match arms and Intel as evenly as possible if one side is being supplied by an enemy.

Honetrap Russia and China into as many quagmires as possible.

I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
May not have anything to do with Bhengazi directly, but could be the next desired "Wag the Dog" distraction for everything that's going on. McCain is addled enough, and a "Third-way/bipartisan" sellout enough to go along.

Personally, in regards to what's gone on in the 2000's... my foreign policy would be heavy on the "Shock and Awe", kill people, break all their things, and light to absolutely nonexistent on the nation building/occupation.

Situations like Syria, where both sides have a nominal antipathy for Western Civ, give arms and intel to both sides to maximize the grinding down. Or match arms and Intel as evenly as possible if one side is being supplied by an enemy.

Honetrap Russia and China into as many quagmires as possible.

Indeed.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 11:37:48 AM »

Didn't go well with the Iran-Iraq war, bro.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »

Agreed. Just whenever it's actually a good idea. (And determining what is a "good idea" is no easy thing...) Letting it lie or not even bothering would be my default position in many instances.

OTOH, who knows where Iran would be without the culling and the expense of the Iraq/Iran war? Their populace might be even more supportive of the regime. They may have had even more money/time/energy to mess with oil-politics, nuclear program... whatever.

It would be part of a much broader platform of eliminating foreign aid, reducing whatever we give to the U.N. to an average of the perm. Sec. council's members contributions. Also evaluate pulling out completely vs. the merits of the "keep the tiger by the tail and keep our Sec. Council veto/vote" argument some make.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 02:31:41 PM »

Really?  Kept both busy for what, eight or more years?  Killed a whole lot of their troops on both sides and ate up their oil revenues like crazy.  That is as close to a win you are going to find in this age where winning has been outlawed.

The only permanent solution is what the Romans did to Carthage.  Until we have the sack to do that, temporary reprieves are the best that can be hoped for.

In Syria, I am rooting for the Bastard Bashar Assad to win out after a decade or more of desperately clinging on by his fingernails and being too occupied surviving to give anyone else much trouble.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 01:37:06 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA

I suggested this very thing in a hare-brained, late night, 15-minute whiskey-inspired essay on a CIA application.
Clearly I should've applied to the State Department instead.

And I'm going to sue Hillary for stealing my horrible ideas without attribution.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 06:26:09 AM »
Help me here.

What benefit is Syria going to reap from S-300 missiles?

Their senior command is known for ordering air defense troops to hold fire and avoid engaging IAF planes that are actually bombing their various osstes.

If the Syrian commanders are either too cowardly or too corrupt (perhaps Israel bribes them) to actually fire at enemy aviation engaged in the act of bombing their country, what good is better air defense technology going to do?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »
Help me here.

What benefit is Syria going to reap from S-300 missiles?

Their senior command is known for ordering air defense troops to hold fire and avoid engaging IAF planes that are actually bombing their various osstes.

If the Syrian commanders are either too cowardly or too corrupt (perhaps Israel bribes them) to actually fire at enemy aviation engaged in the act of bombing their country, what good is better air defense technology going to do?

The benefit they will get is Russians at the sites - which Israel won't risk hitting.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
Are there actual Russian crew at the launch sites?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner