Author Topic: Scientists see molecules bonding. Looks just like the textbook.  (Read 2605 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/05/atomic-level-images/

For the first time, scientists have visually captured a molecule at single-atom resolution in the act of rearranging its bonds. The images look startlingly similar to the stick diagrams in chemistry textbooks.

Looks like I'm going to have to take back all the jokes I made about organic chemists playing with Tinker Toys.

Seems we are running out of things to "discover".  Perhaps the final frontier will be explaining what a woman really means when she says "Well, fine then, go ahead" in that tone of voice.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Scientists see molecules bonding. Looks just like the textbook.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
So, were the molecules bonding with a bro-hug, or were they spooning?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Probably they were sitting in a circle and sharing their feelings  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:01:03 AM »
It seems Alanis Morissette was right, isn't it ionic?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:22:02 AM »
It seems Alanis Morissette was right, isn't it ionic?

Can we leave the horrible puns to Tallpine?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 12:41:44 AM »

Seems we are running out of things to "discover". 

I think we just opened up a new field of study to ask even more questions and discover more things.

Chemical reactions have what are the high probability products that we predict they make, or discover what they make when you make a test-tube full of quadrillions of the 99.99% probability molecules and test the product to see what it is, missing the .001% molecules at the bottom of the tube that could change the world, but we never knew about them.

Reading the article, it appears they already discovered some other chemical products nobody had guessed at.
I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »
Pfffft.  Some scientists. The photo is out of focus!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »
I understand the rim to rim electron bonding of the atoms (like the "mickey mouse" shape of H2O) but what are the "sticks" made of: electrons dashing back and forth in a straight line  ???

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
Fascinating.   Although in a way, not surprising.  The scientists construct models based on known atomic facts.....and the real thing looks similar.  If it looked very different some basic concepts about molecular chemistry should come under serious question.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
I understand the rim to rim electron bonding of the atoms (like the "mickey mouse" shape of H2O) but what are the "sticks" made of: electrons dashing back and forth in a straight line  ???

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »
I understand the rim to rim electron bonding of the atoms (like the "mickey mouse" shape of H2O) but what are the "sticks" made of: electrons dashing back and forth in a straight line  ???

Really skinny areas of electron probability that make up shared orbitals.  The regions the electrons could be look more like sausages and lobes that sort of look like balloon animals, but the "line" is the area of highest probability where the electron is most of the time. And the atomic force microscope shows the high probability area the strongest.

You can figure out an electron's velocity, or it's position, but not both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
Somehow I always thought the the electron(s) had a constantly changing angle of orbit and were so fast (C ?) that they essentially created a sphere around the nucleus.

It's been a long time, and I haven't really had the occasion to study and remember such things.  In my one college science class (meteorology) the professor (a retired Navy forecaster  :cool: ) demonstrated how the H2O molecule had the two H atoms connected at something like 60 degrees forming a "mickey mouse" pattern, and how this caused hexagon ice/snow crystals.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »
It's  more like ~104.5 degrees... according to later information that I looked up.  (I thought it was 60 degrees, too, from my HS chemistry classes. 

I've always wondered how the electrostatic forces cause snowflakes to grow such that each of the 6 arms are so similar... or nearly identical, yet snowflakes are so dissimilar to each other.

I'd like to see that in ultravision microscopy.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:57:04 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »
Somehow I always thought the the electron(s) had a constantly changing angle of orbit and were so fast (C ?) that they essentially created a sphere around the nucleus.

It's been a long time, and I haven't really had the occasion to study and remember such things.  In my one college science class (meteorology) the professor (a retired Navy forecaster  :cool: ) demonstrated how the H2O molecule had the two H atoms connected at something like 60 degrees forming a "mickey mouse" pattern, and how this caused hexagon ice/snow crystals.

There are orbitals that form spherical shells, but they are only one subset of the energy states for an atom.  

This is just for Hydrogen. http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/HydrogenOrbitals/

http://designblog.rietveldacademie.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/POS0007-A2-orbitron-20101.jpg Here are a few more states.

Other heavier elements with more electrons corresponding to their higher proton count in the nucleus gets hideously complex. Plus, due to the quantum wave/particle duality, these are also wave functions. Not just a little "dot" of an electron whizzing around like a planet in some tiny solar system analogy...

Actual electron velocities are a bit more complicated. Some representations of velocity are more of an energy figure sometimes. Not exactly a speed as we think of it on the macro scale.

Although electrons make quantum jumps, they kinda/sorta "teleport" which is instantaneous almost, or measured in Planck-time, OTOH, since electrons have mass, they can never actually move at c, since anything with mass gains additional rest-mass as it approaches c in an exponential curve, and to actually reach c for anything with even a shred of mass would take infinite energy/more than is available in the whole universe etc.

http://stedjee1.infinology.net/Velocity_Orbit_Electron/Velocity%20of%20Orbiting%20Electron.htm
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:16:34 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
It's  more like ~104.5 degrees... according to later information that I looked up.  (I thought it was 60 degrees, too, from my HS chemistry classes. 

Inflation, perhaps ?   =|

:lol:

There are orbitals that form spherical shells, but they are only one subset of the energy states for an atom. 

I really don't spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have to take back all the jokes I made about organic chemists playing with Tinker Toys.

The theory for how chemicals 'look' has been worked out for quite a long time, its no surprise at all that compounds like like they theoretically look like.

Chemical reactions have what are the high probability products that we predict they make, or discover what they make when you make a test-tube full of quadrillions of the 99.99% probability molecules and test the product to see what it is, missing the .001% molecules at the bottom of the tube that could change the world, but we never knew about them.

A lot of what I've worked with were closer to 50/50, 60/40, etc, with the desired outcome sometimes being on the lower end of the probability as well as numerous side products being present. The real trick is to fine tune the reaction conditions to push the outcome into a favorable direction, using changes in pressure, temperature, time, stroichiometry, and often different synthetic routes altogether.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
I'm wondering what AFM tech they are using?  You need a really freaking sharp point to get that kind of resolution.  3 Angstrom scale bar?  I spent a good deal of time in grad school designing and fabricating novel AFM probes.  My stuff was more for near-field optical microscopy which is basically an AFM that also does spectroscopy.  I want to see how they made that thing. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
I'm wondering what AFM tech they are using?  You need a really freaking sharp point to get that kind of resolution.  3 Angstrom scale bar?  I spent a good deal of time in grad school designing and fabricating novel AFM probes.  My stuff was more for near-field optical microscopy which is basically an AFM that also does spectroscopy.  I want to see how they made that thing. 

Its a mono-atomic point.  But you can (and in most cases, do) get a resolution smaller than the actual tip.  What matters is the positioning resolution of the tip, rather than its size (effectively), provided the tip isn't -that- big.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
"Seems we are running out of things to "discover"."

Aristotle said that a couple thousand years ago, and people actually believed him... Wasn't a good time for discovery...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »
I took two (3?) years of chemistry in High School back in the 50s.  I even still have my 1953 CRC Handbook.  Then I took it as a minor in college.

I sure wish I'd've kept up with it. <sigh>

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:15 AM »
I took two (3?) years of chemistry in High School back in the 50s.  ...

So did you finally pass?   :P

=D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
"Seems we are running out of things to "discover"."

Aristotle said that a couple thousand years ago, and people actually believed him... Wasn't a good time for discovery...
And more recently (1900) Lord Kelvin reputedly said ""There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement."

Then along came things like relativity, the photoelectric effect, the Big Bang theory, quantum mechanics, particle physics . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
"Then along came things like relativity, the photoelectric effect, the Big Bang theory, quantum mechanics, particle physics . . ."

The Big Bang Theory I've seen, but those other TV programs? They really don't sound very interesting at all...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.