Author Topic: Dialect Map  (Read 2739 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dialect Map
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
This is an interesting take on the "soda, pop, coke" map for geographic dialects. It shows the results of around 120 additional questions on regional dialects and also breaks them down to a higher spatial resolution.

http://spark-1590165977.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com/jkatz/SurveyMaps/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Dialect Map
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:05:39 AM »
Saw an article on that last night.  I love looking at that type of stuff.  Here is a bit of trivia....how can you tell if a person has lived for a good amount of time in Cincinnati, Ohio?  He/she will more than likely say please instead of excuse me or pardon me, quirky.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
Weird, but it corresponds to the map here: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jakatz2/files/dialectposter.png

Where I grew up in Central WI, the word 'soda' was rarely used- I had heard it, but usually it was used by 'outsiders', everyone called it 'pop'.
I've lived in the SE corner of the state for the last 20 or so years, and never heard the word 'pop' spoken by anyone.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
"Bag" in NY versus "sack" in Colorado for sacking groceries threw me for a while.

Nowadays I hear "bag" just as often as "sack" out here.

We're being infiltrated by those johnny-come-lately immigrants from New York.

I'm unhappy to say that every once in a while someone detects the remaining traces of my Bvooklyn accent.  I give it away if I say "cawfee" instead of coffee or Noo Yawk instead of New York.  Or "My toe hoyts" if I stub it.

Yes, BVooklyn.  Dat's the way I wuz brung up in d' english lingo.

How interesting that the soda v pop map seems to correlate somewhat  with voting patterns.  

Hm.  Just Hm.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:33:35 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
Terry,

My eyesight must be fading, as I never can see the line youse guys was standing ON while waiting to get something when there were other people ahead of you.  We, on the other hand, stood IN a line, and knew if you got out of the line you might not be able to get back in at the same place - even if the guy behind you promised to hold your space/spot.  (Bonus points if you can identify where "spot" is used instead of "space".)

What I'd really like to see is a phonetic atlas of the US.  For example, for much of the country it is possible to properly guess if a speaker is black or other-than-black based on certain phonetic markers.  This does not hold true for the NYC area, but does even in places like Bahstun and the Great Rift Valley of California.  Another example is the ability to place a speaker's place of origin (although not as well their place of current residence) by the way they pronounce the name of the letter that comes between Q and S.  "Ah" (said to indicate satisfaction), Ahh (the noise the doctor tells you to make when he shoves that popsicle stick down your throat), Arrrgh" (what pirates say befor saying "matey"), or "are-ruh" (usually with an rising inflection denoting a question).

Many moons ago I used to be able to read, write, and "hear" in my head the various sounds indicated by phonetic indication (those funny things over letters when you look up a word in a good dictionary).  Lack of practice has made me illiterate for most of them.  =(

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »
What I'd really like to see is a phonetic atlas of the US.  For example, for much of the country it is possible to properly guess if a speaker is black or other-than-black based on certain phonetic markers. 

Everywhere I've lived stayed, black Americans are the only ones that pronounce "aunt" differently than "ant." Maybe not all blacks, but at least some of them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »
"Bag" in NY versus "sack" in Colorado for sacking groceries threw me for a while.

Nowadays I hear "bag" just as often as "sack" out here.

Paper sack.

Plastic bag.

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »
Paper sack.

Plastic bag.

=D

Then what's a brown bag lunch?

I see it in reverse.

I get brown paper bags when I grocery shop at trader joe's and I get plastic sacks when I go to safeway.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
Grinder, hoagie, poor boy, sub, torpedo, sandwich, sammich, sangwich... ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
Grinder, hoagie, poor boy, sub, torpedo, sandwich, sammich, sangwich... ;)

Just hurry up and make it! =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
I'm gettin' somthing to drink, you want anything?

Yeah I want a coke.

What do you want?

Get me a Dr. Pepper.

That was perfectly normal for me growing up.

Having grown up an Air Force brat and then 12 years in the Navy I've picked up different figures of speach from all over the contry.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »

Everywhere I've lived stayed, black Americans are the only ones that pronounce "aunt" differently than "ant." Maybe not all blacks, but at least some of them.

You've never been to New England, then?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 11:22:40 PM »
You've never been to New England, then?

Only on the way back from Bosnia. I didn't experience much local color at the airport.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »
I say "dude" way too much....every once in a while someone guesses where I grew up!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 06:45:22 AM »
I say "dude" way too much....every once in a while someone guesses where I grew up!

Is it "dewd" or "dooooooooooooooooooooooooood"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »

Only on the way back from Bosnia. I didn't experience much local color at the airport.
Which airport?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
Is it "dewd" or "dooooooooooooooooooooooooood"?

stay safe.

Both. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »
Which airport?

It was Bangor, if memory serves from 14 years ago.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »

That's the main one  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
Ohhh, I forget they have an airport there. I was thinking Bradley for some odd reason. Never been to Bangor. Maine is the one NE state I've never really been to. Once when I was a kid a a cabin way in the middle of the deep dark woods but never again. Watched another kid pull a 24" pike out the icehole and call it "a small one" . But I digress.  :cool:

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »

That one's being diluted. I know a couple yankees who say "Ahnt," a lot of black folks who say it like that, or Auntie, and a growing number of rural southerners as well. I'm from Missouri originally. We have ants. :D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »
Ant here. I have an Aunt Antoinette so she's always been "Ant Ant"  >:D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
I'm from Missouri originally. We have ants. :D

True.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »

There just isn't a lot of local color to be experienced in Bangor. Unless it's winter and white is your ideal of a "color."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 02:01:48 AM »
There just isn't a lot of local color to be experienced in Bangor. Unless it's winter and white is your ideal of a "color."

Or September and the color your looking for is tree leaves.

Mainers do say 'aunt' rather than 'ant'. Some of them even say 'mum' rather than 'mom'. And 'rather' rhymes with 'father'
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"