Author Topic: Dialect Map  (Read 2738 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Dialect Map
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »
I thought that they were called "Mainiacs"  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 10:56:32 AM »
I thought that they were called "Mainiacs"  ???

There's a distinction between "Mainiacs" and "Mainers." Haven't been there for many years and I don't remember the difference. Maybe I can dredge it up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 05:13:22 PM »
'Mainer' or 'state o' mainer' is more formal. Would be used in a news article for example.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
Well, growing up as an Army brat, then touring with the Navy for a few years has put my dialect all over the map.  ;)

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 05:29:07 PM »
In my screwy accent issues, the one I never picked up from the northern contingent was "pop". Grandma would tell Grandpa to make sure to pick up the "soda pop" when he went to the store.

I've always been "soda" for anything that fizzles and "coke" for Coke or Pepsi.

As for "ant"/"aunt", I remember as a young child getting corrected by my maternal aunt on correct pronunciation, because I really thought it was "ant" for awhile.

It goes either way. If I drawl it's "aunt", if I'm talking fast and redneck it's "ant".
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »
Don't forget "Aint"as in "Aint Bee"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 12:07:18 AM »
My wife has informed me that I pronounce "both" like "bolth." I wasn't aware of it until she said so. Like "ant," I will probably mispronounce that word as long as I live.

Pronouncing "ornery" as "onree" is pretty common here. Some Minnesotan friends were amused by it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »
Here is a bit of trivia....how can you tell if a person has lived for a good amount of time in Cincinnati, Ohio?  He/she will more than likely say please instead of excuse me or pardon me, quirky.

I get pegged as an ex-pat Buckeye by how I say "wash".  People claim that I actually pronounce it "warsh".  =|

My eyesight must be fading, as I never can see the line youse guys was standing ON while waiting to get something when there were other people ahead of you.  We, on the other hand, stood IN a line, and knew if you got out of the line you might not be able to get back in at the same place - even if the guy behind you promised to hold your space/spot.

Side note.  My Tom-Tom tells me to stay "on" my lane, instead of "in" my lane.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
Everyone laughs at me when I say "bank". Apparently I emphasize the "ba" in a funny way. I'm thinking I pronounce it the same as other words ending in "ank", but apparently the only way it will come out the "right" way, is if internally, I'm hearing myself say "bonk".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »
I get pegged as an ex-pat Buckeye by how I say "wash".  People claim that I actually pronounce it "warsh".  =|

I thought that was a Texas thing.  ???

Apparently also most people don't say INsurance like I do - they say inSURance  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »
When I first moved South from NJ/PA the one that got me most was buggy.

My wife, whose is from around here, still makes fun of the way I say certain things. Insurance and drawer is particular.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
I thought that was a Texas thing.  ???

I hear it from a native Texan (but not most native Texans) all the time at work, regularly hear it from Oklahoma truck drivers and heard it growing up from a N.C./Tennessee grandmother. Wiki claims it is appalachian origin.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
I hear it from a native Texan (but not most native Texans) all the time at work, regularly hear it from Oklahoma truck drivers and heard it growing up from a N.C./Tennessee grandmother. Wiki claims it is appalachian origin.

That makes sense.  Mom is an Okie.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
Was talking to one of the cub scout moms.  She's a doctor, and really well educated and read.  She was taking about a school administrator pronouncing mature "ma-toor".  I was cracking up cause it bugs me too....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
Was talking to one of the cub scout moms.  She's a doctor, and really well educated and read.  She was taking about a school administrator pronouncing mature "ma-toor".  I was cracking up cause it bugs me too....

Nails on chalkboard.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
Nails on chalkboard.

She's a little bitty thing, maybe 4'10",  Indian descent.  Super duper over achiever family, her and her husband were both high school graduates prior to age 16, and they both are doctors.  She's quite the fireball and she really doesn't like that particular school administrator.  The ma-toor thing was really getting her goat.   :rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”