Author Topic: What kind of cut (tight or loose) is a CWU/27-P flightsuit?  (Read 776 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
A friend of mine in Idaho is trying to get me to buy a new Nomex military flightsuit from him.  He bought it and it was the incorrect size.  He says it would be perfect motorcycling gear for me (except for the lack of armor).  It is a 44 regular and is made by one of the military gear contractors in the standard military cut and fit.  I wear a size 44 business suit jacket.  I know nothing about the cut of a military flightsuit.  Are they loose or tight?  I am trying to figure out if I could wear this as an oversuit over my business clothing as I commute to the office. 

I want to avoid a situation like my Olympia motorcycle gear, which is known for running small in the stated sizes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What kind of cut (tight or loose) is a CWU/27-P flightsuit?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
Mine are fairly  loosy goosy. I wear a 48L in a suit and a 48L in a flightsuit. Flightsuit is looser than the suit coat. Less so in the chest / shoulders than the legs. The legs are kinda baggy on me.

ETA: Sorry, I just caught that you want to wear it over a business suit. I don't think you could do that unless you ordered a couple of sizes up. I only wear chonies and a tshirt under mine, a suit jacket would get pretty bunched up and wrinkled, and probably be uncomfortable too.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:04:11 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »
As one who wore Nomex green nearly every day for many years, I'm curious why you want it for motorcycling.

All Nomex does is slow down tissue burns.  It doesn't burn by itself, but instead chars when it gets to about 698 degrees F.

It essentially buys you a little time to escape a fire, but you can still cook inside it.

It provides no other protection, so if you're looking to avoid road rash, broken bones, blunt force trauma, cerebral avulsion, etc, a military flight suit won't do it.   If you ride behind a fuel tanker that ruptures in front of you and ignites, you might be ok for a little while.   ;)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
As one who wore Nomex green nearly every day for many years, I'm curious why you want it for motorcycling.

All Nomex does is slow down tissue burns.  It doesn't burn by itself, but instead chars when it gets to about 698 degrees F.

It essentially buys you a little time to escape a fire, but you can still cook inside it.

It provides no other protection, so if you're looking to avoid road rash, broken bones, blunt force trauma, cerebral avulsion, etc, a military flight suit won't do it.   If you ride behind a fuel tanker that ruptures in front of you and ignites, you might be ok for a little while.   ;)

Riding a bike through a forest fire ?    =|    =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:37 PM »

All Nomex does is slow down tissue burns.  It doesn't burn by itself, but instead chars when it gets to about 698 degrees F.

It provides no other protection, so if you're looking to avoid road rash, broken bones, blunt force trauma, cerebral avulsion, etc, a military flight suit won't do it.   If you ride behind a fuel tanker that ruptures in front of you and ignites, you might be ok for a little while.   ;)

Exactly why I am pondering if I should buy this.  I already have Olympia motorcycling oversuits, so I am not sure why my friend thinks I should buy this for motorcycling.  He himself does not ride, so I am taking his opinion with a boxcar load of salt.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
Mine are fairly  loosy goosy. I wear a 48L in a suit and a 48L in a flightsuit. Flightsuit is looser than the suit coat. Less so in the chest / shoulders than the legs. The legs are kinda baggy on me.

ETA: Sorry, I just caught that you want to wear it over a business suit. I don't think you could do that unless you ordered a couple of sizes up. I only wear chonies and a tshirt under mine, a suit jacket would get pretty bunched up and wrinkled, and probably be uncomfortable too.

What the hell is a "chonie"?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:37:22 PM »
I'm trying to come up with something clever, but have the fail. Chonies are what my Mexican friends call underwear. I don't know if I'm spelling it right.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:34:41 PM »
I'm trying to come up with something clever, but have the fail. Chonies are what my Mexican friends call underwear. I don't know if I'm spelling it right.

Hmmm, you spend a lo of ime talking about underwear with your Mexican "friends" do you? You aren't an elected official in NJ by any chance are you?  :O  :lol:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:36:06 PM »
Hmmm, you spend a lo of ime talking about underwear with your Mexican "friends" do you? You aren't an elected official in NJ by any chance are you?  :O  :lol:

If I were, I wouldn't be wearing my chonies... =D

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »
Hope they're not made by a company called "Ka".

Then you'd probably have big ka chonies, right?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 12:11:56 AM »

Then you'd probably have big ka chonies, right?

Thaaaaaat's what she said.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »
Thaaaaaat's what she said.

HUC?

Have you heard from her?  How is she doing?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »
HUC?

Have you heard from her?  How is she doing?

Doing fine. Her boyfriend apparently has a soft spot for stray animals and two of the cats he has right now are tormenting her little dog, so he's not doing so great. Otherwise the description of daily life makes me want to put in my separation papers and look for a few acres there. I always thought the outer islands, especially up on the hill on the big one, would be a great place to live if the state was a bit (or a lot) more free.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 08:03:36 AM »
I decided to pass on my friend's offer to buy a flightsuit.  It doesn't seem like it would be of much use to me motorcycling, and I cannot imagine what I would otherwise use it for.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
I decided to pass on my friend's offer to buy a flightsuit.  It doesn't seem like it would be of much use to me motorcycling, and I cannot imagine what I would otherwise use it for.

What if your office building catches on fire ?   =|

Wear the flight suit instead of a business suit.  Tell them it's part of your risk management plan.    =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin