Author Topic: The Roadside Rest Area  (Read 663 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Roadside Rest Area
« on: June 08, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
I thought this was an interesting article, partly because in CA at least, there seem to be way more rest areas than there are travel centers, which is opposite of what the article indicates. I certainly see the opposite in other western states where I drive, though in those states the rest areas seem to be placed in very scenic locations, whereas in CA, they're more or less every "X" miles, regardless of the view, similar to travel centers.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/arts-and-lifestyle/2013/06/disappearing-american-original-roadside-rest-area/5783/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: The Roadside Rest Area
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
Those are not rest areas.  They are roadside tables, sometimes referred to as roadside picnic tables.

A rest area has "restrooms".  It may be a portable one that gets swapped out once a quarter, or it may have flush plumbing (that may or may not work).  Decent rest areas also have spaces for truckers to pull into where they can, you know, rest.  (I hear that's what they call it when they are adjusting their logbooks.)  (For some values of rest area, I hear that "adjusting their logbook" is what they call other commercial activity.)

Rest areas and some roadside table locations seem to be one of the last bastions of the pay telephone.  Well, those and certain concentrated urban housing developments despite the availability of cellular phones.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

Good place to get a ticket.  The local yokels sit beside the highway and nail speeders all day long.

I have also been to the Big Bend and Ft Stockton rest areas pictured.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »
Last westerly road trip we took, we ate lunch in a "rest area" just west of San Antonio.  On a ridge, it was nice and cool with a good breeze.  Picnic lunch. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:37:52 PM »
Last westerly road trip we took, we ate lunch in a "rest area" just west of San Antonio.  On a ridge, it was nice and cool with a good breeze.  Picnic lunch. 

That is my favorite sort of lunch while car traveling.  Effing McD's or other fast food be damned.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »
That is my favorite sort of lunch while car traveling.  Effing McD's or other fast food be damned.

If they'd offer some healthy stuff to go with it, I wouldn't mind so much.  But, what? Apple slices that are questionable at best? yea eff them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”