Poll

Is Edward Snowden a criminal, or a hero?

This guy is a true blue hero
26 (44.1%)
Criminal.  He violated his Top Secret clearance
1 (1.7%)
It's still Fistful's fault
8 (13.6%)
All 3
24 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Snowden: Hero or Criminal?  (Read 54372 times)

Levant

• friend
Re: Snowden: Hero or Criminal?
« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »
That was Greenfield's boyfriend who got detained, not Snowden's.

Got a link?  I tried Googling but couldn't find a story.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
Got a link?  I tried Googling but couldn't find a story.

Here are a few, here and here and here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »
Holy crap!  Clearly no justification for a terrorism charge in the UK and yet they hold him for 9 hours.  That's what we can expect in the UK or the US - except in the US they can hold you forever, KGB style.

And the US had nothing to do with it?  Really?  The British police weren't trying to help their American comrades?  I'll never believe that it wasn't at the request of the US.  Even if it was not, it's just plain sad that these things happen in what we used to know as free countries.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/19/david-miranda-schedule7-danger-reporters

They're making direct threats at the newspaper. Which likely means someone thinks they have more damaging things they can release.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #279 on: August 26, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
Der Speigel reports that the NSA was breaking into and bugging UN offices in NYC.

Turns out while tapping the video feeds and others, they discovered that the ChiCom'shad already done the same !!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh yeah, we're bugging/tapping/stealing their computer info of/electronic spying on our EU allies also. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #280 on: August 26, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/secret-nsa-documents-show-how-the-us-spies-on-europe-and-the-un-a-918625.html

Codename 'Apalachee'

Also, Germany is suspending trade talks.

Technically, this is a violation of many international agreements, and could theoretically nullify the diplomatic status of many of our embassies. If true, of course.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #281 on: August 26, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »
Crap I forgot to add the Der Speigel link.   :facepalm:

Thanks Rev for covering for my mistake.   :cool: 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #282 on: August 26, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/secret-nsa-documents-show-how-the-us-spies-on-europe-and-the-un-a-918625.html

Codename 'Apalachee'

Also, Germany is suspending trade talks.

Technically, this is a violation of many international agreements, and could theoretically nullify the diplomatic status of many of our embassies. If true, of course.

It only matters (to us.gov) if they can make it stick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melian_dialogue

...for we both alike know that into the discussion of human affairs the question of justice only enters where the pressure of necessity is equal, and that the powerful exact what they can, and the weak grant what they must.

Is it unpatriotic of me to sort of hope they (Germany & others) can? (Make it stick.)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #283 on: August 26, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
It's truly sad that despite listening in to, pretty much the world, our Foreign Policy is a freakin' train wreck. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »
It's truly sad that despite listening in to, pretty much the world, our Foreign Policy is a freakin' train wreck. 

Good information still requires a decision-maker applying intellectual/moral consistency to be of effective use...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #285 on: August 30, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »
hero?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/30/snowden-trove-foreign-hands-includes-58000-highly-/
British officials said Friday that the trove of documents taken by National Security Agency leaker Edward J. Snowden, which it seized earlier this week at Heathrow airport, contains more than 58,000 “highly classified UK intelligence documents,” which the government now assumes are in foreign hands.

Oliver Robbins, the deputy national security adviser for intelligence, security and resilience in the Cabinet Office, told a court in London that Mr. Snowden “indiscriminately appropriated material in bulk,” including personal information that would allow British intelligence staff, some serving overseas, to be identified.

SEE ALSO: NSA collected thousands of U.S. communications

The 58,000 documents were among 60 gigabytes of encrypted data seized from David Miranda during a nine hour detention under special terrorism powers Sun

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/30/snowden-trove-foreign-hands-includes-58000-highly-/#ixzz2dUSKyrjY
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »
Lacks Torrent link.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2013, 12:18:53 AM »
hero?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/30/snowden-trove-foreign-hands-includes-58000-highly-/
British officials said Friday that the trove of documents taken by National Security Agency leaker Edward J. Snowden, which it seized earlier this week at Heathrow airport, contains more than 58,000 “highly classified UK intelligence documents,” which the government now assumes are in foreign hands.

Oliver Robbins, the deputy national security adviser for intelligence, security and resilience in the Cabinet Office, told a court in London that Mr. Snowden “indiscriminately appropriated material in bulk,” including personal information that would allow British intelligence staff, some serving overseas, to be identified.

SEE ALSO: NSA collected thousands of U.S. communications

The 58,000 documents were among 60 gigabytes of encrypted data seized from David Miranda during a nine hour detention under special terrorism powers Sun

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/30/snowden-trove-foreign-hands-includes-58000-highly-/#ixzz2dUSKyrjY
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

He's running from the US gov't. If he didn't have an insurance policy, I'd be surprised.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
hero?

More I hear, more I'm leaning that direction. Smart guy, doling out the leaks one at a time. Keeps it in the news cycle. Even if the politicians ensure the NSA suffers no legal or budgetary repercussions, folks will remember. It tarnishes the reputation of the NSA, and maybe makes folks be a little more secure.