Author Topic: Chainsaws!  (Read 4318 times)

Fudgieghost

Chainsaws!
« on: August 08, 2006, 02:11:46 PM »
Ok fellow Arposo's, learn me up about chainsaws.    After all these wicked T-storms recently, I've decided it would be a good idea to get my own.  I live in a dead end/circle, and one tree down at the only entrance/exit and the whole bunch of us would not be able to drive out.

I'd like to get a good size one---we have some very large oaks, that, if they came down, would need more than the "pruning" size saw's.

What should I look for in the way of features, which brands are best, IYO, of course.  Keep in mind that this saw will not get extensive use.  I'm thinking of it as more of a SHTF equipment thing, so the most durable may not be what I need.  OTOH, I don't want a POS either, as when I need it, I'm gonna really need it. . .

So, without further ado,    pontificate. . .

crt360

• friend
Chainsaws!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:38:43 PM »
We've got a few old ones, the best of which is a Stihl.  http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/index.html

Be careful not to prune one of your own limbs.  I know more people that have negligently chainsawed themselves than negligently discharged a firearm.
For entertainment purposes only.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Chainsaws!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 02:41:47 PM »
bigger the saw bigger the price tag.

When I used to cut quite a bit of wood, I really liked Stihl brand. I know a lot of guys who swear buy their Husqvarnas. I guess they are like Fords vs Chevy.

Right now I just cut wood for camping and my fireplace, less than a 1/2 cord per year so I just use a McCulloch MAC 10 with a 14" bar that is left over from my self employment days. Its an ok saw that sees about 5 hours of use per year.

The secret with any 2 cycle engines (or small engines in general) is to properly store then, if you leave fuel in them they quickly varnish up and you'll never get it started.

Pretty much if you aren't going to be using a chainsaw on a regular basis it really isn't worth owning on. If those are large oak trees it will take you a long time no matter how big the saw is to remove them.

FIL and I are going to drop a giant burr oak once it gets a little cooler for firewood for his house and shop. I figure the tree is about 80' tall, trunk diameter is close to 30" it won't take more than 15 minutes to free drop the tree but will take the two of us all day to cut it up into pieces small enough for us to move to the log splitter.

Probably be easier in a SHTF situation like a violent storm just to seek shelter and when the storm has passed just to drive around the downed trees. Its not like looting is going to happen in most of US after a storm that drops trees. If you in hurricane areas then bug out when the warning is given. Tornado areas have very little looting afterwards because of the out pouring of people wanting to help after the storm has passed.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Chainsaws!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:49:12 PM »
YEa, I recall an incident I saw in the emrgency room a few years back. Dumbass "A" said to dumbass "B",  "Here, hold the end of the Christmas tree while I take this chainsaw and trim off a coulple inches. So dumbass "B" did and proceeded to get a little trim of his own. shocked

MAN, there's some STUPID people out there.

I'd think a 16" would be enough and +1 on the Stihl. Remember also the bigger the saw gets  the heavier and harder to wield it gets.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Bob F.

• friend
Chainsaws!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 04:48:30 PM »
Roger on the Stihl! Kind of the Makarov of chain saws, very reliable. Learn how to use and sharpen it. Not just how to cut, but watch/study the tree so as not to permanently jam the saw in a bind or get yourself killed when the trunk rolls over. It happens!

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Chainsaws!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 05:04:40 PM »
To chainsaw is an art form all itself. I'm only 32 years old but I have cut a lot of wood, dropped a lot of big trees and cut up a lot of big trees. I still respect the saw and damn cautious when using one.

You will need to know what to do when a saw binds, buck, throws a chain, tree splits, tree explodes and tree starts to fall your way. There really isn't any safeties like one finds on a circular saw.

Chainsaw cuts through flesh like a warm knife to butter, no forgiveness and whats left is a ragged hamburger edge.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Fudgieghost

Chainsaws!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:58:10 PM »
Those Kevlar chaps any good?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Chainsaws!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 06:46:27 PM »
I have heard they are good..  haven't experienced it first hand

Uranus is a gas giant.

Fatcat

Chainsaws!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 12:27:49 AM »
Quote from: Fudgieghost
Those Kevlar chaps any good?
YES. I screwed up pretty badly once, but the chaps stopped the chain instantly; my jeans weren't even torn. I'd have a sweet pegleg if I hadn't been wearing them. Shocked
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

...has left the building.

Chainsaws!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 02:00:06 AM »
We used an old 50 pound Craftsman until I was 14 or so....then we got a Stihl 026. It was like having the Excalibur of chainsaws! I'm a pretty big Stihl fan and I've used quite a few of them besides our 026. They're very solid!

Leatherneck

• friend
Chainsaws!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 02:32:28 AM »
Concur with the votes for Stihl. They're well-made machines and parts and service are widely available.

Learn about chain tension, kickback, and how to sharpen the chain during breaks. A well-tuned and sharp saw will help avoid accidents. Don't get in a hurry, don't get too tired, avoid drinking alcohol, wear hearing and eye protection and chaps if you feel the need.

Mom out.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Chainsaws!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 03:30:57 AM »
Mom out.
LOL,,,see ya Mom...  Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

peteinct

• friend
Chainsaws!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 03:46:04 AM »
I have a Husqvarna saw with a 16 inch bar. It is a wonderfull saw.  If you are a home owner do it youself type take it slow and easy using  one. There are a lot of ways to get messed up with a saw and falling trees. I think that being a lumber jack is one of the most dangerous jobs there is.
I was very lucky. Once I was clearing a fallen tree in my yard and I lost control of the saw.  I cut through my pants and my long johns but didn't cut my skin.  Be carefull.
pete

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Chainsaws!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 05:03:40 AM »
I've got a fair amount of bar time with Echo, Husky, Mcullough (sp?), and Stihl.

I've always liked Mculloughs and Stihls, but Huskys are a very close runner up. Echos never impressed me.

The only Poulan I ever used was a horrendous pain in the ass.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Chainsaws!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 05:10:38 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I've got a fair amount of bar time with Echo, Husky, Mcullough (sp?), and Stihl.

I've always liked Mculloughs and Stihls, but Huskys are a very close runner up. Echos never impressed me.

The only Poulan I ever used was a horrendous pain in the ass.
I thought you were a craftsman man??

Uranus is a gas giant.

BozemanMT

• friend
Chainsaws!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 05:38:41 AM »
Another vote for Stihl
Plus Stihl's are only sold at little guy stores, so you can actually get service and get them worked on.
a big plus in my book.
16" is plenty big enough for all homeowner work.
buy extra chain oil and buy a couple chains.  in the middle of a bad time is not the time to be sharpening chains, just switch them out and move on.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Chainsaws!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 06:05:21 AM »
You know, the ONLY Craftsman chainsaw I've ever used was an electric. It worked fine for what I needed it to do (remove a crepe myrtle).

They simply didn't have much traction in the area where I grew up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

...has left the building.

Chainsaws!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 08:28:18 AM »
Quote from: BozemanMT
Another vote for Stihl
Plus Stihl's are only sold at little guy stores, so you can actually get service and get them worked on.
a big plus in my book.
16" is plenty big enough for all homeowner work.
buy extra chain oil and buy a couple chains.  in the middle of a bad time is not the time to be sharpening chains, just switch them out and move on.
That is a good point! We bought ours at a very small hardware store in my very small hometown in PA.

mtnbkr

• friend
Chainsaws!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 08:51:24 AM »
I have experience with Stihl, Poulan, and Homelite (yes, Homelite).

I used the Stihl when I worked for the county Parks and Req dept for a variety of tasks, it always worked well and never gave me any trouble.  My small amount of experience with Poulan is limited to cutting up firewood at camp.  The one in question worked well once you got it started, but it was a bit ornery in that respect.  

I have the most experience with my dad's Homelite saw.  It wasn't very big, but between the two of us, it has cut down and cut up a couple hundred trees ranging from 2" to 12" in diameter.  I've run it all day long clearing brush and trees at my grandmother's, only shutting it down to fill the tank, sharpen the chain, to eat lunch, etc.  There, we were cutting pine, various hardwoods, and 50yo Rhodedendron bushes standing 8ft tall with 12" trunks.  My dad used it to harvest timber on a plot in the National Forest.  Every day, he'd cut down a few trees, limb them, cut them to 6ft lengths, and bring a load home in his pickup.  Once at home, he'd use the same saw to cut them to splitting length.  It's only weakness IMO was the itty bitty nut used to hold the bar in place.  I just didn't feel comfortable really torquing it down.  Otherwise, it ran like a champ and never let us down.

If the price were right, I'd buy another Homelite, but my first choice would be Stihl because they are good saws and service would't be an issue.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Chainsaws!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 08:56:08 AM »
Stihl or Husky are the only two brands to consider Wink

My choice is Stihl but the newer Huskies seem to have some good features.  In my experience, the older Huskies (1980's) were prone to heat up and vapor lock in hot weather and at high altitude.  OTOH, Stihls run so cool that they don't like cold weather unless you are working them really hard.

But I would tend to recommend a larger saw - if you really need a saw to clear a road (etc) then you want one with some muscle and bar length, say a 20" bar and 50cc or so.  In my observation, the bigger saws and longer bars are actually safer than the little ones.

My current saw is a Stihl 046 magnum with a 30" bar leftover from my logging days (I hate bending over Wink ).  Also have an ancient (1970's) 045 Stihl powerhead lying around that weighs about a ton.  It's about wore out, but it would still cut rings around most of the new smaller saws - if your arms didn't fall off first Tongue

oh yeah ... if you do anything with saws or trees you need to know about these people:

http://www.baileys-online.com/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Chainsaws!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 08:59:55 AM »
"The one in question worked well once you got it started, but it was a bit ornery in that respect."

YES!

That was my grip with the Poulan I used. Starting it cold was a monumental pain in the ass. Keeping it going until it warmed up wasn't much easier.

Once it finally warmed up, though, it ran well.

zahc

• friend
Chainsaws!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 11:34:16 AM »
Our family are chainsaw experts, having been heating with wood for decades and building a log house.

The best chainsaw ever made was made by Partner. My father has a Partner chainsaw that is just better than anything else. It has broken and he has bought new ones, only to get the Partner fixed by finding an obscure part and keep using it. It's just an animal of a chainsaw.

Currently I think Stihl is the best saw. Husquavarna is an acceptable saw as well.

I advise you to ignore whatever the owner's manual says about mixing fuel, and use good quality oil mixed at 32:1. I promise.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Chainsaws!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 11:41:07 AM »
Consumer Reports did a test on 'em at some point the the last year or so. Don't remember the exact results, but I think the top three in the "real chainsaw" category were Husky (Husqvarna), Poulan, and Stihl. Even then, the only models that consistantly scored well were the more expensive ones.

If memory serves none of the low-dollar bargain saws held up very well, regardless of mfg. The electrics were, in a word, pathetic for all but the most light-duty small jobs (like trimming very small branches).

And if that doesn't work, you can get you one of these....

One bad mofo V8 chainsaw

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Chainsaws!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 12:32:59 PM »
get one of these..  I bet you'd be the hit of the neighborhood

http://www.forestryequipmentsales.com/146-timberpro630.htm

Uranus is a gas giant.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Chainsaws!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 12:39:56 PM »
I've always heard Stihl makes the best saws, after all they invented the darn things.

I bought a slightly used 20" Homelight about fifteen years ago at a pawnshop for $80.  The thing just won't quit!  I cut 2-4 cords of firewood a year plus other chores around the farm.  I also bought a used Echo as a back up saw, although it doesn't seem to be nearly the saw the Homelight is.  If I ever wear out these two, I'll look at Stihl.

I use Stihl full-chisel chains.  You have to buy them at a Stihl dealer and I don't believe anybody else makes a full-chisel chain.  The Oregons and all the other hardware store chains are semi-chisel.  Make sure you have some experience first with a semi-chisel though, the full-chisels cut way faster.