Author Topic: 2014 Kia Forte?  (Read 2345 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
2014 Kia Forte?
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
Who likes or dislikes Kia? Other than it's not American made? After much searching and multiple test drives my wife just leased a 2014 Forte. Newly designed motor, 2.0 173 HP, 6 speed auto. They gave her $800 more for her trade in than anybody else so the deal they gave her was getting bigger HP for LESS money than all the other 140 HP models out there.

We drove a couple different VWs, a Honda civic twice, Nissan, Toyota and the Kia. The only thing that compared in power and acceleration was the VW Passat with a 5 cyl 170 HP motor for $70 more a month than the Kia. The Jetta with the 2.0 was a dog.

The Honda was first runner up with 140 HP and good response but it was about $25 a month more than the Kia which has it beat on power with similar gas mileage. The VWs had rather poor mileage numbers too so it was like, less power, uses more gas? What's up with that? Plus there's the whole 10 year / 100,000 mile warrantee thing Kia offers.

Finalnote,never negotiate with the missus. She is TOUGH! She tells the Nissan guy, poor Abdeul, "I gotta be honest with you, I don't like the way the Nissan drives." I mean, OWCH!!  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grampster

• friend
Re: 2014 Kia Forte?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »
Got some friends with a Kia.  They like it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
The Jetta said 115 HP on the sticker but the guy was telling me, "Oh noooo, it's 140 HP". Obvious BS once I got into the Civic with 140 HP on the sticker. Night and day. The Passat was a nice car and they offer the Jetta with the bigger motor but both were a little above her price range. Plus, apparently VW was at the bottom of the list of problems per 100 vehicles in 2012 with 124 Problems per 100 Vehicles.  

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »
I just hate that we had to buy foreign. We'll never buy a GM product again, she don't like Dodge etc and the damn Fords are expensive, not to mention where they all really come from anyways. I wonder what Henry would think of all this? Meanwhile, so far I like the car. it's got "pep".  :cool:

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
I rented ford fusion for a week last month. I thought it was pretty impressive for something that gets 35mpg at 70mph.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
I had a Kia Rio rental for a couple weeks.  It was a nice simple little car, good for dodging murdercyclists on narrow winding roads.

The clock display etc was already mucked up at <20K miles.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
I have a 2011 Kia Soul.  Based on that experience, the missus bought a 2012 loaded Kia Optima.  We are so far quite happy with our choices.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 06:39:59 AM »
We looked at the Fusion. Sticker price was $4000 higher than everybody else in the comparable model so we didn't even drive it. Cool, nobody is coming up with any nightmare scenarios. That's encouraging.  =)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 06:43:32 AM »
I do question the lifespan of all this digital display stuff. Honda's dashboard looks like something right off of the space shuttle.Time will tell I guess.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:49:36 AM »
2002 spectra.

I am mean to it. I'm horrid about maintance. Lot's of miles and I tell you what, despite the abuse, that little car just keeps going.
:)

Kia is good.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
The Kia that I rented had these weird handles to make the windows go up and down  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
Seeing that Hyundai owns Kia they at least have some industrial know-how behind them.  I can't recall hearing anyone bad mouth them to any memorable degree.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »
Roommate has a 09 or 2010 Kia Rio.

It's a very basic little car, but has been generally reliable and overall exceeded expectations.  It does have an interference engine with a timing belt; a design I don't care much for, but shouldn't be a problem with appropriate PM.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
Had a friend bought a KIA. I think it was 5-6 years old.

Two weeks into it his airbag light went on. Not wanting to get a pillow in the face going 65 down an interstate he got it fixed. $900 out of pocket.

A little less than a year into his ownership he had tranny troubles. No independent shop would touch it. Dealer quoted $3K for a used tranny.

I think it may be model dependent, and even then kinda hit and miss.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: 2014 Kia Forte?
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
Some of the older models were cheap, and seemed that way for a reason imo.

However I think the newer ones are quite nice and you get a good value for your money with them. If you like it and are paying a good price I'd go for it.

That said, iirc, I do seem to remember some folks I know mentioning maintenance was a bitch and it was basically dealer or be sol on....just about everything. But, also seems like a lot of cars are like that these days.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
We shall see... First day with the new car she has to go into Hartford late afternoon for some meeting.  :facepalm:

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »
We own a 2009 Kia Rondo (sadly they only had that model in the US from 2007-2010 - it's still on the foreign market).  It replaced the 2007 Rondo my oldest stepdaughter wrecked (not her fault, everyone including the other driver agreed).   A collision at 55mph totaled the vehicle, but the passenger, a teenage girl with Osteogenesis Imperfecta (brittle bone disease) suffered nothing worse than a bloody nose from the airbag and a seatbelt bruise.  That's one of the reasons we went to Carmax and picked up a 2009 to replace it.

I don't have a lot of experience with other models, but the two I've driven have proven safe, reliable and low maintenance so far. Worst thing I can say about it is that the key is an odd size they couldn't duplicate at Lowes or Home Depot.  Had to take it to a local Ace Hardware to get keys made.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 03:56:19 PM »
We own a 2009 Kia Rondo (sadly they only had that model in the US from 2007-2010 - it's still on the foreign market).  It replaced the 2007 Rondo my oldest stepdaughter wrecked (not her fault, everyone including the other driver agreed).   A collision at 55mph totaled the vehicle, but the passenger, a teenage girl with Osteogenesis Imperfecta (brittle bone disease) suffered nothing worse than a bloody nose from the airbag and a seatbelt bruise.  That's one of the reasons we went to Carmax and picked up a 2009 to replace it.

I don't have a lot of experience with other models, but the two I've driven have proven safe, reliable and low maintenance so far. Worst thing I can say about it is that the key is an odd size they couldn't duplicate at Lowes or Home Depot.  Had to take it to a local Ace Hardware to get keys made.

You can get a key made for it  ???   :O

You can make a key for our Chevy but if you unlock the door with it, the alarm goes off.  They say if you try to start it with the hardware store key that it will lock up the computer and it cost thousands to get it reset  :facepalm:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
This one has a key with a chip. I said to the guy, "So this key must cost about $200 right?" Guy, "Yup, that's about right."  :O

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »
A little less than a year into his ownership he had tranny troubles. No independent shop would touch it. Dealer quoted $3K for a used tranny.

I must still be 12 but this made me laugh out loud.   :laugh:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »
$240 for replacement Jeep Liberty key.  =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »
You can often save a huge chunk of money by getting the appropriate transponder key blank off of ebay, and taking it to a locksmith shop that has the appropriate dongle to plug into the car to tell it the key is a friend. Sometimes it takes a couple years after a new model with a new type of programming needed comes to market for the locksmiths to get the equipment. Definitely worth calling around. There's a shop in Salt Lake I've gone to a couple times for this service, saved over $100 each time.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »
Hundred and some odd bucks for a new key on my ford. More if I want the one with the fancy buttons.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
Brother has a Kia Sorento, a 2005, I believe. It's been bullet proof.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »
I didn't think I'd ever say this...but my 85 year old mother bought a Kia a few years ago. It's been a really good car. She drives the dealership crazy though...she always thinks the transmission sounds funny. She's thought that for years. She sorta "adopted" an international (S. Korean) college student a couple of years ago. When her family visited the US to see her, they expressed great delight over my moms choice in cars.