Author Topic: Living on light...now naked in the woods on a quest...Wet WA, where else?  (Read 3494 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Wet, West, it is all the same. Essentially anything west of the Cascades, although I am sure there are small pockets of normalcy over there, somewhere, anywhere, Bueller??!?!

UPDATE: Naked Woman Wearing Only A Fanny Pack Missing In Washington State Forest

STEVENSON, Wash. (AP) - The Skamania County sheriff's office says searchers will try again Tuesday to find a Vancouver, Wash., woman who reportedly set out naked on what was described as a spiritual quest in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest of southwest Washington.

The sheriff's office says 19-year-old Maureen Kelly of Vancouver was reported overdue early Monday, when she failed to return after leaving the Canyon Creek Campground about 5 p.m. Sunday.

Undersheriff Dave Cox said search teams including two dog teams were unable to find Kelly on Monday.

She was reported to be wearing only a fanny pack with a compass and a knife. The Canyon Creek area is steep with heavy timber and brush.

Some people get eaten by animals, well, here's dinner!!

http://www.khq.com/story/22550472/naked-woman-missing-in-washington-state-forest

bob

cordex

• Administrator
Naked 19 year old girl?  I predict no shortage of search volunteers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I need to hurry and get over there... I know Gifford Pinchot forest pretty well.  Used to take Hwy 12 to Yakima or Walla Walla to visit family during college, and camped out on Rimrock Lake several times, exploring tributary waterways and fishing beaver dams.

Hero rescuer for a 19 year old?  Heck yeah!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Finding her dead might not be so much fun  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
You may have a point.......

Hopefully they will find her, the temps haven't been extremely cold, if she knows anything at all about naked survival (which I would doubt), she may actually come out of the woods with a new purpose in life.  ;)

bob

brimic

• friends
woman who reportedly set out naked on what was described as a spiritual quest

If an adult is on the quest to become a spirit, why do they need rescuing?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
After two days of looking, the search has been suspended as of this morning.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
After two days of looking, the search has been suspended as of this morning.

Frankly, the Cascades and Olympics are some pretty forgiving mountains.  Stoopid survives in them fairly often.

I expect she'll turn up alive.  The dogs probably can't find her because it's so wet, and trackers can't find her because she's not wearing boots so her prints are unlike what they are accustomed to tracking.

She's got no shortage of water, and she won't die of starvation over a few days.  50 degrees is unpleasant when nekkid, sure, but she has a knife and hopefully enough sense to build a deadfall shelter each night.  The water in the streams up there is pretty clean.  The funky parasites and such don't exist to the same extent as further south.  Heck, she might even be able to spearfish some of the streams or even beaver lodges. 

I hope there's a lighter or matches in the little pack she's carrying.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I hope there's a lighter or matches in the little pack she's carrying.

I'm guessing not. I have met a few people like her (except with clothes on) and they would not pollute the world with a campfire.

I'd be more concerned that she didn't have a gun with her, because the more likely scenario for something bad happening to a naked 19 year old girl alone in the woods would be a two-legged predator.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The article in this morning's paper said that she had a compass and a knife in her fanny pack.  And if I encountered a naked woman in the wilderness, my first thought would be to wonder if she was mentally ill or had experienced some sort of disaster and try to help. 

CNYCacher

• friend
50 degrees when naked and wet aint no picnic.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
What in the world ever became of sweet Jane?
 She lost her sparkle, you know she isn't the same
 Living on reds, vitamin C and cocaine
 all a friend can say is "ain't it a shame"
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

She is probably curled up under a pile of leaves somewhere.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
She is probably curled up under a pile of leaves somewhere.  =(

Unfortunately, there are probably not much in the way of leaves where she is at.  Pretty much evergreen forest down there: doug fir, cedar and hemlock.

Stand_watie

• friend

It's hypothermic within hours kind of "no picnic". We've had deaths of Army Rangers in the Everglades in 52 degree water.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/03/us/a-night-of-confusion-and-fear-in-which-4-army-ranger-candidates-died.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Unfortunately, there are probably not much in the way of leaves where she is at.  Pretty much evergreen forest down there: doug fir, cedar and hemlock.

Under pine needles then.  Out of sight.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Despite being hippy-dippy, I still think with a modicum of intelligence (aside from the whole nekkid in the woods thing) she will be alive, unless she ran into a malicious 2-legs.  At which point, Tallpine is most likely right: covered in a stack of leaves or pine needles a couple hundred yards off a trail.
--Lysander Spooner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Yep, I got hypothermia at Ft. Lewis in August 1986.  Accidentally got left behind in my one man LP/OP when they changed the Platoon leadership and then moved on to the next mission.(ROTC Advance Camp)  I was under pine needles and leaves, soaked to the bone.  Temp was around 50F.   They came back and found me about 20 hours later when someone finally did a head count.  Spent a day at Madigan Army Hospital getting re-warmed.

If she didn't build a fire, she's dead by now.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"

Looks like BSC eyes to me. The kind of person that could rationalize this behavior is...BSC.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
It doesn't sound like she prepared all that much for her 'spiritual quest'.  Makes me wonder if her quest was really for greater oneness with pharmaceuticals.
There are plenty of big kittehs up that way.  She might already have become lunch for one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
What is BSC?
--Lysander Spooner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What is BSC?

Bat *expletive deleted*it Crazy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Bat *expletive deleted* Crazy.

Oh ....   That one didn't come up on Google  :facepalm:

freakazoid

• friend
Crazy eyes requires there to be white showing, all around.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Marnoot

• friend
Crazy eyes requires there to be white showing, all around.