Author Topic: White House Down  (Read 5761 times)

drewtam

• friend
White House Down
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »
I went to see the new Man of Steel yesterday with the wife. One of the commercials before the movie was for "White House Down". From what I can tell, its a feature length puff piece for Obama. The first movie I ever recall making the POTUS a live action hero.

I kid you not, this is a scene quote as I remember it...
<car chase/ moving gun fight scene>
"Mr President, I know you are a man of peace, but I need you to take this [pistol] and shoot while I drive us out of here."

The next movie commercial was something about corporate CEOs hiring spies, and killing anyone that gets in the way of corporate power.

Am I seeing partisanship where there is none?

Anyway, Man of Steel was meh. I went because my BIL played an extra and got a micro second of blurry screen time. I didn't notice anything overtly political in it, so at least it wasn't insulting.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: White House Down
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
I went to see the new Man of Steel yesterday with the wife. One of the commercials before the movie was for "White House Down". From what I can tell, its a feature length puff piece for Obama. The first movie I ever recall making the POTUS a live action hero.

I thought Harrison Ford played a president that was kind of like Dubya reimagined as a warrior in a nice suit.  I can't recall the movie.
"It's good, though..."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
I thought Harrison Ford played a president that was kind of like Dubya reimagined as a warrior in a nice suit.  I can't recall the movie.

Air Force One.

Then there was Bill Pullman as the fighter jock President who took on alien invaders in Independence Day.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:59:15 AM »

Air Force One
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
Air Force One.

Then there was Bill Pullman as the fighter jock President who took on alien invaders in Independence Day.

Beat me to it by seconds.....
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
George Washington played an action hero, too . . . even if it was in a car commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpJvey-7-s

And of course, more recently, there was Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.   :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »
George Washington played an action hero, too . . . even if it was in a car commercial.

And of course, more recently, there was Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.   :rofl:
Far more believable than Obama as an action hero.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
Far less believable than Obama as an inaction zero.

FTFY.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »
Good points. I never saw AF1, completely forgot about it. Independence Day, I should have remembered that one.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »
Here is Obamaman!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »

I kid you not, this is a scene quote as I remember it...
<car chase/ moving gun fight scene>
"Mr President, I know you are a man of peace, but I need you to take this [pistol] and shoot while I drive us out of here."

The next movie commercial was something about corporate CEOs hiring spies, and killing anyone that gets in the way of corporate power.

Am I seeing partisanship where there is none?

Anyway, Man of Steel was meh. I went because my BIL played an extra and got a micro second of blurry screen time. I didn't notice anything overtly political in it, so at least it wasn't insulting.

Funny thing is, they got is completely bass-ackwards.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
Was Obama himself in this movie?  ???
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 03:48:56 PM »
Was Obama himself in this movie?  ???

No, he was too busy playing golf so they had to hire a black actor.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 04:13:30 PM »
Air Force One.

I preferred Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »
or Peter Sellers ("Merkin Muffley") in the war room.
"It's good, though..."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 01:45:02 AM »

He played one in real life too.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 06:09:45 AM »
or Peter Sellers ("Merkin Muffley") in the war room.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »
Aren't you guys forgetting when President Palmer ran a specops team?

My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
It's Hollywierd. Who the *expletive deleted*ck in their right mind gives a *expletive deleted*it?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
It's Hollywierd. Who the *expletive deleted* in their right mind gives a *expletive deleted*?

The trailer is an ad on you tube now.

So I'm trying to watch videos of the Black Forest fire ....
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
24's presidents always creeped me out.

They all felt like they were conditioning the public for crappy presidents.  The weasely white president was clearly Bush, the black one was a premonition of Obama, and the woman from the last couple seasons was clearly Hillary.

And the whole lot of them made the choice to sacrifice liberty for safety, every damn time given the option to do so.  Horrible creatures.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
Aren't you guys forgetting when President Palmer ran a specops team?

"Go for Blaine."
"Is that so?"
"How 'bout that?"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »

They all felt like they were conditioning the public for crappy presidents.  The weasely white president was clearly Bush, the black one was a premonition of Obama, and the woman from the last couple seasons was clearly Hillary.

And the whole lot of them made the choice to sacrifice liberty for safety, every damn time given the option to do so.  Horrible creatures.

I watched the first season of 24 and maybe one episode of the 2nd season.  When Jack murdered a sleazebag that was in FBI custody to get "street creds", shot him and then cut off his head with a pocketknife or something like that, I turned it off and never watched again.  It was supposed to be OK because he was accused of being a child molester (a long time ago, I don't recall the details)

The whole series is just propaganda for "the government can do *anything* it wants when we're dealing with terr'rists".  And who is a terr'rist?  It's whomever the government says it is.  The filming it in real time was a cool gimmick, I'll give 'em that.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 02:24:11 PM »

They all felt like they were conditioning the public for crappy presidents.  The weasely white president was clearly Bush, the black one was a premonition of Obama, and the woman from the last couple seasons was clearly Hillary.

And the whole lot of them made the choice to sacrifice liberty for safety, every damn time given the option to do so.  Horrible creatures.

I did not get the idea that President Palmer was an "Obama wannabe," Palmer was actually competent, moreso than Obama.  The "weasely white" one was hardly Bush it was just a weaselly white guy who couldn't take a decision between chicken and fish for dinner let alone decisions that could cost lives.  

I watched the first season of 24 and maybe one episode of the 2nd season.  When Jack murdered a sleazebag that was in FBI custody to get "street creds", shot him and then cut off his head with a pocketknife or something like that, I turned it off and never watched again.  It was supposed to be OK because he was accused of being a child molester (a long time ago, I don't recall the details)

The whole series is just propaganda for "the government can do *anything* it wants when we're dealing with terr'rists".  And who is a terr'rist?  It's whomever the government says it is.  The filming it in real time was a cool gimmick, I'll give 'em that.

Meh.  It was a TV show.  The lesser evils were only "justifiable" insofar as they prevented a greater evil.  It bothered me when Jack was forced to murder a fellow agent in an early episode ... but it was only a TV show.

All in all it's like disliking Star Trek because superluminal velocities violate known laws of physics.  It's a TV show.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero