Author Topic: Supreme Court upholds illegal aliens' right to vote in AZ  (Read 4770 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Supreme Court upholds illegal aliens' right to vote in AZ
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
"I'm a Citizen. Promise!" A Very Serious Oaf
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
The SCOTUS has finally confirmed what many of us have long suspected, that American citizenship no longer has any value.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:26:21 PM »
The endgame of deconstructing the core of America will be the deconstruction of those in power.  Those who delegitimize citizenship and the rule of law delegitimize themselves, their authority.

Arizona was just doing the job the Federal government won't do.  All this does is widen the growing existential chasm between central government and We the People.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
Funny, a year or so back they made me re-do all my I-9 paperwork to stay employed, even though they had all that from 2007  ;/  :facepalm:

:mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
"Yo soy un ciudadano, lo prometo!" A Very Serious Oaf

FIFY.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
Seriously, I don't get this. Even the nuttiest countries in Europe don't go for *expletive deleted*it like this. WHY?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »
Funny, a year or so back they made me re-do all my I-9 paperwork to stay employed, even though they had all that from 2007  ;/  :facepalm:

:mad:

That's because you're not an illegal.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
That's because you're not an illegal.

Well, technically I don't think any of my ancestors got official permission when they came over from Ireland and/or Scotland in the 18th Century  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
Well, technically I don't think any of my ancestors got official permission when they came over from Ireland and/or Scotland in the 18th Century  :lol:

Actually, they probably did.  IIRC, if they came over on one of the immigrant ships, then they were processed and given citizenship when they landed. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »
But they let stand the traffic stop part.  Not sure that means much without the other. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
I got a idea , can we get I.C.E to hang out at the voting areas?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »

Only if they start recruiting from NBPP.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »

I'm sure they would claim that was "chilling".
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
I'm sure they would claim that was "chilling".

:facepalm:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »
Actually, they probably did.  IIRC, if they came over on one of the immigrant ships, then they were processed and given citizenship when they landed. 

citizenship  ???

At least one fought in the revolutionary army so it wouldn't be USA citizenship  =|

I haven't been able to find the records.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »
And, there goes the republic.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:56 PM »
citizenship  ???

At least one fought in the revolutionary army so it wouldn't be USA citizenship  =|

I haven't been able to find the records.

Ahhh, then they would have been "subjects".   ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 01:12:04 AM »
What is left when the government prevents us from peaceably protesting through voting?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Supreme Court upholds illegal aliens' right to vote in AZ
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 03:43:26 AM »
Arizona to defy US Supreme Court decision

Go Arizona !!!

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/22615267/arizona-to-defy-us-supreme-court-decision

Good article.  Bet many folk won't read it.  Kinda interesting the Medicaid expansion Brewer signed off on. Contrast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
What is left when the government prevents us from peaceably protesting through voting?

What did we do last time?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
Bad thread title.  I just read the opinion. SCOTUS is saying that the state law was in violation of the federal election laws.  But, if you read it well, it implies that the federal laws suck, so they should be changed. It said nothing at all about allowing illegals to vote.  Never even came close to that issue.  Nothing to see here.  Still need to be a citizen to legally vote.  Arizona just needs to work a little harder to get the law to properly address the issue. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »
Bad thread title.  I just read the opinion. SCOTUS is saying that the state law was in violation of the federal election laws.  But, if you read it well, it implies that the federal laws suck, so they should be changed. It said nothing at all about allowing illegals to vote.  Never even came close to that issue.  Nothing to see here.  Still need to be a citizen to legally vote.  Arizona just needs to work a little harder to get the law to properly address the issue. 

uh oh!  someone actually read the ruling
kill joy
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 01:41:28 PM »

And who gives a flying frack about "federal election laws?" As I seem to recall the only powers the federal government has are those delegated it in the Constitution, so lets take a look at what the Constitution has to say on the matter...

Article 1, Section 2, Clause 1: The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

Fifteenth Amendment: The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Seventeenth Amendment: The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures. When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

Nineteenth Amendment: The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Twenty-Fourth Amendment: The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Twenty-Sixth Amendment: The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Article 2, Section 1, Clause 2: Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

Funny, perhaps it's my public education acting up, but the way I read it only the States are given leave to set requirements for voting, not the Federal government.