Author Topic: stupid virus question  (Read 701 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
stupid virus question
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »
What harm might there be in opening a .docx file?

Some scammer wrote to me wondering if I might be able to handle their "making a charitable contribution to a worthy non-profit in my area".

So far I've written back telling them I need their bank's routing number, the acount number the funds will be coming from, and a slew of personal ID stuff about the account holder.

This morning they have sent me a .docx attachment, intimating that the data I asked for would be inside.

So really what I want to know is how I might download and open that in a way that does not expose my system to the crap I'm sure they have koaded it up with.

Remember that I barely know how to use a keyboard, so please write instructions for someone who finds "anything about computers for dummies" to be above their head.

Thanks.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: stupid virus question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 07:58:46 AM »
Do you have a Gmail account?  Upload it to Google Docs or drive or whatever they are calling it.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:02:30 AM »
^^^^^ This +1

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:21:05 AM »
I didn't read the post, but I'm quite certain there's no vaccine for the stupid virus. It's an epidemic.

Edit: I used theirs instead of there's! I CAUGHT IT TOO! RUN!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »

Alternatively you can open it with either Open Office or Libre Office.

Both of them warn you of any scripting and allow you to disable it before viewing the document.

And then there are the various document viewers on Android devices (I have Polaris Office on my tablet) which offer the same protections.

What I would absolutely NOT do would be to open a random .docx file with MS Word.

:facepalm:
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Tell them you are using Word 2003 and can't open a .docx file. Ask them to send it as a .txt file or a .pdf.

Do NOT open the .docx file.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
open it on an ipad from a dropbox at the local bestbuy
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"