Author Topic: Thoughts on the Salinas decision?  (Read 2664 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Thoughts on the Salinas decision?
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:27:38 AM »
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-246_7l48.pdf

I think it's a legally correct interpretation of Miranda that is a complete desecration of both the letter and spirit of the Fifth Amendment.

Volokh's take. http://www.volokh.com/2013/06/17/do-you-have-a-right-to-remain-silent-thoughts-on-the-sleeper-criminal-procedure-case-of-the-term-salinas-v-texas/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:42:13 AM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Thoughts on the Salinas decision?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 02:56:45 AM »
You have the right to self incrimination. Anything you say or don't say will be used against you. IOW, it's fabulous.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:20:19 AM »
Yet another decision where the Klueless Kourt assumes that everyone has had a legal education at an Ivy league school.  Or has the money and will to drag a lawyer around 24/7 a la Raul Duke and Dr. Gonzo.

The practical advice that falls out of this is "Don't talk to the police outside of minimal responses regarding a traffic ticket or such."  But, we already knew that since Martha Stewart & Scooter Libby went to prison for disagreeing with their interrogators.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
Mostly, my thoughts are not to be posted on a public forum  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »
Does this mean that the Jury Boxâ„¢ can finally be crossed off the list? When people suggest relying on them to defend liberty I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry any more.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »
I hate the speculative bullscat loophole it allows prosecutors and cops to drive an 18 wheeler full of dung through.

Prosecutor: And when you asked the defendant if he committed the murder, how did he react?

Arresting Cop: He sat there quietly for a moment, then I saw the awareness that he had been caught red-handed creep into his eyes and he looked like he was trying to come up with a lie to cover his tracks.

P: So in your professional opinion, he looked nervous and intent on manufacturing a cover story?

AC: Yep, that's it.  In my professional opinion.

P: No further questions.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
Sounds to me that the correct course of action in any and all dealings with law enforcement that you do not initiate, is to assert your 5th Amendment rights as soon as contact is made.

Cop: What are.....?

Subject: I respectfully refuse to answer any questions based on the rights guaranteed me under the 5th amendment.

That 5th amendmnet can be a tricky devil.
I learned a little about that the onetime I pushed things a little too far and got to learn about Article 15 of the UCMJ up close and personal, Disrespect to a superior officer was the charge. I kind of had a shouting match with my LCDR Dept. Head in the wardroom, in front of the XO and about 5 other people. I was later told that if it had just been based on the shouting match and points scored I would have been a clear winner.
One of the first things they handed me to sign was a waiver of my 5th amendment rights. I declined to sign it. You would have thought I had whizzed on the captains shoes by the reaction that got.  The command didn't know how to deal with it and had to confer with the JAG boys. They then came back and again asked me to sign it, I declined again. When they asked me why I simply told them that until someone can tell me how it would be in my interest to do so I wasn't going to sign away a constitutionaly protected right. Again off to the JAG boys and then they told me I had to sign it, sorry not happening. The command kept insisting that I had to sign the waiver and finally I asked for legal counsel in the matter, that wasn't going to hapen either. I think the XO actually busted a blood vessel when I did that. After about a week of that they finally just gave up. (I wouldn't be surprised to find out someone forged my signature on the waiver)
Anyway, I eventuallly went to Captain's Mast and the charge was dismissed, not so much as a reprimand. Lots of back story and personal intrigue involved.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 01:11:59 PM »
...One of the first things they handed me to sign was a waiver of my 5th amendment rights. I declined to sign it. You would have thought I had whizzed on the captains shoes by the reaction that got.  The command didn't know how to deal with it and had to confer with the JAG boys. They then came back and again asked me to sign it, I declined again. When they asked me why I simply told them that until someone can tell me how it would be in my interest to do so I wasn't going to sign away a constitutionaly protected right. Again off to the JAG boys and then they told me I had to sign it, sorry not happening. The command kept insisting that I had to sign the waiver and finally I asked for legal counsel in the matter, that wasn't going to hapen either. I think the XO actually busted a blood vessel when I did that. After about a week of that they finally just gave up. (I wouldn't be surprised to find out someone forged my signature on the waiver)
Anyway, I eventuallly went to Captain's Mast and the charge was dismissed, not so much as a reprimand. Lots of back story and personal intrigue involved.

Hmmmm.
This should have been an episode of that old TV show JAG.  I wonder what Harmon Rabb would have done? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
I wonder what Harmon Rabb would have done? [tinfoil]
No, no, no. We all know RKL would have requested:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »
Sounds to me that the correct course of action in any and all dealings with law enforcement that you do not initiate, is to assert your 5th Amendment rights as soon as contact is made.

Cop: What are.....?

Subject: I respectfully refuse to answer any questions based on the rights guaranteed me under the 5th amendment.

That 5th amendmnet can be a tricky devil.
I learned a little about that the onetime I pushed things a little too far and got to learn about Article 15 of the UCMJ up close and personal, Disrespect to a superior officer was the charge. I kind of had a shouting match with my LCDR Dept. Head in the wardroom, in front of the XO and about 5 other people. I was later told that if it had just been based on the shouting match and points scored I would have been a clear winner.
One of the first things they handed me to sign was a waiver of my 5th amendment rights. I declined to sign it. You would have thought I had whizzed on the captains shoes by the reaction that got.  The command didn't know how to deal with it and had to confer with the JAG boys. They then came back and again asked me to sign it, I declined again. When they asked me why I simply told them that until someone can tell me how it would be in my interest to do so I wasn't going to sign away a constitutionaly protected right. Again off to the JAG boys and then they told me I had to sign it, sorry not happening. The command kept insisting that I had to sign the waiver and finally I asked for legal counsel in the matter, that wasn't going to hapen either. I think the XO actually busted a blood vessel when I did that. After about a week of that they finally just gave up. (I wouldn't be surprised to find out someone forged my signature on the waiver)

I learned firsthand that one of the quickest ways to get rid of a bullshit Article 15 is to check the box that says " I demand trial by court martial"

http://armypubs.army.mil/eforms/pdf/A2627.pdf

Did that once for a bullshit article 15.

Next day, a BRAND NEW form was presented to me, along with the instructions "do not check that box"

My response: "It's there for a reason. I have the right to request a trial."

Checked it again.

That was the last i heard of it.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
I think the XO actually busted a blood vessel when I did that.

Oh, this guy:   :lol:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »
I learned firsthand that one of the quickest ways to get rid of a bullshit Article 15 is to check the box that says " I demand trial by court martial"
http://armypubs.army.mil/eforms/pdf/A2627.pdf

Did that once for a bullshit article 15.

Next day, a BRAND NEW form was presented to me, along with the instructions "do not check that box"

My response: "It's there for a reason. I have the right to request a trial."

Checked it again.

That was the last i heard of it.

Not an option on an afloat command.

Oh, this guy:   :lol:

They had a lot in common.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams