Author Topic: Metallica's St. Anger  (Read 16184 times)

...has left the building.

Metallica's St. Anger
« on: April 09, 2005, 07:33:54 PM »
I was curious what other people thought of Metallica's newest album, St. Anger. When I first heard it, I'll have to admit I didn't like it very much but it has since grown on me. Some of the guitar riffs and drum lines are absolutely crushing. A very different sound, but one I've grown to appreciate.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 10:01:33 PM »
Metallica?  Never heard of 'em....

(Their best work was before the bus crash.  The one that killed Cliff Burton.  All else post that event is just a shadow of what could have been...*SNIFF*)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Dannyboy

• friend
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 05:13:20 AM »
I'll have to agree with Sindawe but I've still bought just about everything they've done since and they are still one of my favorite bands.  I thought St. Anger was great musically.  It was harder than anything they've done since Kill Em All.  The problem, I think, lies with Bob Rock.  Ever since he convinced James that he really could sing, the vocals have gotten worse.  If they dumped Bob Rock, I think they'd get better overnight.  Or if James comes to terms with the fact that he does not have a great singing voice.  He's got a great metal voice but that's it.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Azrael

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 05:49:57 AM »
AHHH Metallica..Ohh how the mighty have fallen..

IMO the "Black" album was the beginning of the end for them...Granted they have done several SONGS that I have liked since then, but enough to buy the whole CD?? not hardly..

Lars whining about Napster in a press conference didnt help there case very much as far as being accused of "selling out"

How do they keep selling out concerts you ask? Simple, they dont play any of there new stuff!!! Last concert I went to (04) they played exactly 2 of there new songs...Everything else was old school

ST. Anger sucks...When you are paranoid about "P2P File Sharing" that you hvae eeryone record at a different studio and have it transferred via digital cable ya got problems...That is why it sounds so weired...And if your title song is written about people complaining about you selling out, ya got problems
Dave
www.Azraelscustomleather.com
"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)

possenti

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »
I still like their music, but they've become the "sellouts" that they used to rail against.  The anti-Napster/file sharing thing was shocking from a band like them.

And no, I don't advocate stealing music.  Let's stay on-topic here...

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 10:02:44 AM »
I did not like any of St. Anger when I first heard it and it never grew on me either. I am happy the radio stations stopped playing it. I like the older stuff a lot though.

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 12:15:19 PM »
I heard a few songs from it, but I really can't get into it.  My fave is still "And Justice for All"

Justin

• friend
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 03:03:31 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, Metallica broke up and went their seperate ways shortly after releasing their black album.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Chris Rhines

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 05:41:44 PM »
The production on St. Anger was horrible.  Whoever did the final mix should give serious thought to a career change, if not ritual suicide.

- Chris

thorn

• friend
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 05:45:12 PM »
i only heard some on the radio- i was actually kinda impressed.
im not a big fan, but since all my friends were, i can't help but know all their music and like most of it.

brimic

• friends
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 10:34:16 PM »
St Anger is alot better than the last few crap albums "Garage INC" and another forgetable album that I can't remember the name of off hand. Its not even close to being on par with their earlier works.

Are Metallica sellouts? Sure, they sell out every concert they book. I just saw them last September and they still are the best rock/metal act, though I'll admit I've never seen Iron Maiden in concert Cheesy
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Smith

• friend
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 02:02:46 AM »
Sorry Dan, but I hated St. Anger.

Sean Smith

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 03:20:38 AM »
This "Metallica Sold Out" stuff is insane.  I couldn't get into St. Anger, but it is about as "mainstream pop" as ritual cannibalism.

"Lars whining about Napster in a press conference didnt help there case very much as far as being accused of "selling out" "

Because only sellouts object to rampant theft, right?  Tongue

Azrael

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 01:41:08 PM »
Sean,
No I dont think them getting upset about "theft" is wrong...HOWEVER going after your fans is NEVER a good idea...And doing it the way they did was just plain stupid...Granted the RIAA getting involved didnt help matters none, but I still think it could have been handled different...It is difficult to whine about pennies when you are earning millions and hauling 15 year old kids into court isnt the best way to handle anything..IMO

I have seen Iron Maiden in concert...They need to be seen to be believed!!!!

Yup they do tend to sell out when they play...NONE of there new stuff could do this, which is why I stated they only play 2 or 3 songs at a time from the newer CD's...

Mix is bad? Blame Lars...Like alot of there bad ideas it is pretty much his fault...
Dave
www.Azraelscustomleather.com
"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)

F2

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 12:37:34 PM »
Metallicas concerts are great. Essentially it's the 'best of's'.

St. Anger is the pennance for such rock.

Jason

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 01:27:34 PM »
I have been a fan for the last 16 years or so, and I find myself drawn to the loder stuff. I have every album on CD even St Anger. I bought ST Anger the fist day it was out, and couldn't wait to play it. What a disappointment!

What a waste of money!
I only played it once, then sent it to the box of crappy CD's.

macavada

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 07:01:00 PM »
I thought I would never stop following Metallica religiously.  I was a die hard fan from Kill Em All, and No Life Till Leather.  I grew up on them.

But, as far as I'm concerned, they've never been the same since they affiliated with Bob Rock.  They even could have weathered the passing of Cliff Burton, and would have thrived with Jason Newstead if they had given him half a chance.  They've made plenty of mistakes, and they were mostly due to Lars' poor decision making, IMO.

I guess they could make a comeback, so to speak, but until they do, they are but a shell of what they once were.

grislyatoms

• friends
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 08:11:36 AM »
Quote from: macavada
but until they do, they are but a shell of what they once were.
Exactly. I have been a fan since the early '80s but probably haven't listened to any of their stuff in 3-4 years.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

White Horseradish

• friend
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 09:15:22 AM »
Sucky album. Better than the couple before it, but that's not saying much...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

mtnbkr

• friend
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 10:07:15 AM »
Nothing worth owning since And Justice for All.  I've owned some since and regretted each purchase.  St Anger was the last Metallica album I'll ever buy.

Chris

Ktulu

• http://www.michiganshooter.com
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 10:50:27 AM »
Last year I drove 2 hrs down from deer camp the day after opening day of bow season to see Metallica in concert. They played I think a total of 3 songs from St. Anger.

Good concert as usual, Godsmack was awesome, I don't like the St. Anger CD.
Jeff

MichiganShooter.cOm

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

Correia

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 12:52:32 PM »
The whole hang out and play at San Quinten with the murderers and rapists thing, all while whining about the massive crime of kids burning your CDs struck me as asinine.  

I'm a metal head, but I'm not particularly a Metallica fan.

crt360

• friend
Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 01:15:01 PM »
Quote from: grislyatoms
Exactly. I have been a fan since the early '80s but probably haven't listened to any of their stuff in 3-4 years.
Same here.  The couple of songs from St. Anger that I heard on the radio caused me to change the station.
For entertainment purposes only.

DigMe

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 06:15:30 PM »
I've heard one song that I know of from St. Anger and I couldn't even recognize it as metallica.  I asked someone if it was Weird Al.  The vocals seriously reminded me of Weird Al.

brad cook

...has left the building.

Metallica's St. Anger
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 05:53:48 AM »
Yeah, St. Anger is definitely their weakest album to date.

Anyone else listen to "Of Wolf and Man" before they go hunting? Cheesy