Author Topic: Is your time worthless?  (Read 2270 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Is your time worthless?
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
Imagine you trade an item for another item of equal value. No taxable event is generated.
 Now imagine the second item is worth considerably more than the first, and you sell it- the extra, above the cost of the first, is taxable as income.
 When you hire someone, their wages are deductible from the profit on the biz, we  can subtract them from taxable income.

So why is it your labor, when receiving wages in exchange, has a tax levied on  100% of hours worked? Are they not saying your time is worthless , otherwise? Why is labor a cost to the employer, and not to the person working? They are saying you are exchanging a "object" of no value(your time)  for "$" . Essentially they are saying your time, your life, has no value at all.

Seems to me we have a near perfect reverse incentive going-we tax the working, and pay the idle.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Is your time worthless?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Sssshhhh.  Don't disturb the proles. ;)  They're napping now.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »
No, your time is worth whatever you can make with it. The employer producing, selling, getting taxed, deducting the fixed cost of you is a different transaction that you working, making money, getting taxed.

Here's the problem with your hypothesis. The first event of trading ought to be a taxable event if you think like a tax man. Even if you made something at home and traded it you ought to report what you recieved as income, or at least do 15 pages of paperwork to document your costs and profit/loss.

Second problem, tax the working, problem is not taxing you, most of us accept some level of tax as necessary, form debatable. Paying the idle is the problem. Another fun side effect of no income tax and a national sales tax,  idle can't buy all the stuff they want to.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:22:54 PM »
Cash jobs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »
Cash jobs.

Eventually they'll figure out how to find that. Even now if you are too good at cash jobs you ought now shovel all that into the bank, someone will notice. Hmm, expect paypal to be the next frontier of tax. Lots of internet sellers use it, easy enough to lean on e-bay to make them cough up all user transactions. Then you get to explain why any transaction isn't income.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
Barter, black market, under the table, cash only...
The harder they push on taxes the bigger those will become.
Going Galt even on a small scale is a good thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
BitCoin.

PM's.

The nice thing about BitCoin is that there is no label to a transaction.  Wallets/accounts are just anonymous ID's.  A person can have 100 wallets with as large or small of a balance as he wants in them.  And then create a new wallet and transfer all contents from the other 100 wallets into that one.  And there's no way to tell the difference between a balance transfer for multiple wallets held by one person and a purchase between two parties.  You could even hand over your wallet to someone as a purchase (i.e. create a new wallet and transfer the appropriate amount into it), rather than submitting the transaction to the block chain and assigning the funds to the seller's main wallet.

No tracking PM's unless you were there with a camera.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:55:10 PM »
Bitcoin is still bottle-necked at the translation to FRN point. And there is still a record of you interacting with the BC system unless you're using Tor or something.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
I don't know jack about bitcoin, but there are people I respect who laugh at it- Karl Denninger for one "the market ticker" .

I did not mean this to be a thread about avoiding taxes, but on the moral and legal underpinning of them- especially with regard to the fact your life I.E(time on earth)
 has no value to the authorities, other wise it would be deductible in some measure from the tax imposed.
 Of course to our founding fathers taxing a man on the fruits of his labor and the sweat of his brow would have been considered an abomination no less than slavery- they considered a mans labor his property , no less than anything else he owned or produced.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »

I did not mean this to be a thread about avoiding taxes, but on the moral and legal underpinning of them- especially with regard to the fact your life I.E(time on earth)
 has no value to the authorities, other wise it would be deductible in some measure from the tax imposed.
 Of course to our founding fathers taxing a man on the fruits of his labor and the sweat of his brow would have been considered an abomination no less than slavery- they considered a mans labor his property , no less than anything else he owned or produced.

Government doesn't tax my sweat or my labor.

They tax my profits off of my sweat and labor.  And there's a difference.

They don't tax my recreation time where I profit by means of personal enjoyment.  If I take $100 and buy assorted pieces of mahogany and assemble them into a bookcase, they don't tax the value of that bookcase as it sits in my home, providing me with its true value.

They only tax my labors when I transact in them in FRN's.

If I labored as part of the open source crew to create the BitCoin sourcecode and logic, it would have been recreational and have no bearing on any FRN related value.

If I left my computer running as an early bitcoin mining rig, it would have no FRN value.

If I click a button on my bitcoin app to adjust how bitcoins are allocated, it has no FRN value.

I can take FRN's and turn them into noise in my motorcycle, turn them into cheeseburgers at the restaurant, turn them into beers at the pub or turn them into bitcoins online.  All the same result.  The bitcoin is no different than a "gold" piece in World of Warcraft (which you can also buy with FRN's). 

Taxing the non-FRN based result of a man's time is nonsensical. 

(Pondering when taxes will be levied on MMORPG incomes and if priest-classes will be exempt...)
--Lysander Spooner

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »
Maybe we can start depreciating our bodies as we age based on family history.  In essence, that is what the ObamaCare health insurance is going to do in terms of determining need or justification for surgery or a medical procedure.

The IRS says your personal time has no value.  But you can deduct mileage coming and going when working for a church/charity as a volunteer.

The tax code is twisted.  It needs to be scrapped and a either a flat tax or the Fair Tax need to be implemented.  The big reason for not doing it is the employment of all the tax accountants.  The tax code provides a disincentive to regular people and poor people to try to improve themselves.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
Isn't bitcoin also pretty much dependent on the whole internet thing still being in place and still more or less unrestricted?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »
Government doesn't tax my sweat or my labor.

They tax my profits off of my sweat and labor.  And there's a difference.

They don't tax my recreation time where I profit by means of personal enjoyment.  If I take $100 and buy assorted pieces of mahogany and assemble them into a bookcase, they don't tax the value of that bookcase as it sits in my home, providing me with its true value.

They only tax my labors when I transact in them in FRN's

Taxing the non-FRN based result of a man's time is nonsensical. 

They  tax your sweat and labor if you are an employee.
 The only reason they do not tax renumeration in other than FRN is because they have no effective way to do it- legally, the chicken you trade your labor for IS taxable.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
Yeah, the evil.gov would tax air and sunshine if they could figure out how to do it.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25:06 AM »
Yeah, the evil.gov would tax air and sunshine if they could figure out how to do it.
They already do with one.
Petroleum = liquid sunshine.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »
We just think we are free because we are in such a big fenced in yard.

There are a lot of laws on the books.

If the NSA turned its attention on you and marshaled all their resources to dissect your life I suspect they would come up with something they could use or leverage to own your a$$.

Personally I think we are being conditioned to understand this reality on purpose. They want us to live in fear of government.

Just take a couple grams of government provided soma and numb the pain of that unfortunate thought.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:01:34 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »
We just think we are free because we are in such a big fenced in yard.

There are a lot of laws on the books.

If the NSA turned its attention on you and marshaled all their resources to dissect your life I suspect they would come up with something they could use or leverage to own your a$$.

Personally I think we are being conditioned to understand this reality on purpose. They want us to live in fear of government.

Just take a couple grams of government provided soma and numb the pain of that unfortunate thought.

Relevant
http://www.volokh.com/2013/01/21/ham-sandwich-nation-due-process-when-everything-is-a-crime/
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!