Author Topic: Need a new shaving brush...  (Read 5009 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Need a new shaving brush...
« on: July 07, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »
I've been using the brushes by Surrey (or whomever took them over), and they're pretty much cheap crap. Last maybe a year and then one day fall apart.

So, anyone have recommendations for a good shaving brush that will last awhile, but not break the bank?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Need a new shaving brush...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
Do you prefer boar or badger? Or not have a preference?

For boar, Omega brushes are great, and are at a nice price point as well. The ones in the 20 dollar price range seem to be the sweet spot. I can't comment on the cheaper ones in the line up as I've never used them or heard much commentary.  https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Boar_c_78-1-3.html

For badger, IMO the absolute best value for the dollar is the Edwin Jager best badger brush, medium. On the page I'm linking they are the ones that run 48 bucks. https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Best-Badger_c_119.html
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Never used a badger brush, don't se the need to spend double the price.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
Badger is much better than boar. I also use the Edwin jaeger brush. I shave with an antique english straight razor"wade and butcher bow razor" a couple times a month and use a double edge safety razor the rest of the time.
The shaving soap you use also makes a big difference and take the time to do it right. Prep is everything.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
I replaced my old brush with one of these Parker Silvertips a year ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Safety-Razor-Silvertip-Petrified/dp/B002ESYH5K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373231467&sr=8-6&keywords=shaving+brush+silvertip

The silvertip is an excellent brush - super soft and really lathers up nicely. If you don't want to go silvertip, I can still recommend Parker for the other grades of brush. They are made in India, and I have to admit I figured I was taking a chance ordering the silvertip from them at nearly half the cost of the other name brands, but the brush is very well built. If their other grades are of the same quality, Parker is a phenomenal deal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
Nothing wrong with a good boar brush. The problem is cheap boar hair is, well, cheap and therefor what they use in the cheapest brushes. But quality boar hair in a bush, like the better Omega brushes, is quite nice. It's just different than badger. The individual hairs are thicker giving it a different feel. And because of this the loft doesn't hold quite as much water and lather so they can take a smidge longer to lather. Also, they don't bend or flop as much so you wont get the ultra soft feel of a uber nice badger brush.

That said, some people who favor soap prefer the boar brushes for this very reason as they feel they pick up the soap better.

If you want a brush that holds lather like no other, whips it up faster, and has that soft feel to it go badger. If you are ok with another second or two to build lather, and prefer the feel of a brush without as much give, and want to save some cash, go good boar.

For 20 bucks, you'll get a kick ass boar brush. For 20 bucks of "pure" badger, you are getting the badgers ass whiskers and a loft that is probably trimmed even meaning it will forever be scratchy and annoying. I love my best badger EJ and still feel it's the absolute best buy for a badger brush, but if I only wanted to spend round about 20 bucks I'd take a good boar long before I take a subpar badger.

Parker is also good stuff, but I personally actually don't like silvertip. It's nice on occasion but it's usually just to floppy for my taste.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 06:49:53 PM »
I prefer boar myself and use an Omega boar brush.  I tried badger, but didn't like the feel.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
Agree with lupinus ion the pure badger. I learned the hard way. I bought this brush a while back for my dop kit:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-Pure-Badger-Travel-Shaving-Brush-Black-Aluminum-Handle_p_1745.html

It lathers up fine, but it is scratchy as all get out on my face. If it was my every day brush, I would have thrown it out already.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »
Agree with lupinus ion the pure badger. I learned the hard way. I bought this brush a while back for my dop kit:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-Pure-Badger-Travel-Shaving-Brush-Black-Aluminum-Handle_p_1745.html

It lathers up fine, but it is scratchy as all get out on my face. If it was my every day brush, I would have thrown it out already.
Yeah. I understand some pure badger brushes are OK, but I wouldn't spend the money on them. For the price of a questionable pure badger I'll take a kick ass boar brush every single day.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Never used a badger brush, don't se the need to spend double the price.

You don't need to. Tweezerman badger brush on Amazon, $15: http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-2801-h-Mens-Shaving-Brush/dp/B000G647Y8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=97DZB5MD2ULP&coliid=I2OT5NFKUYNMXE

Bought mine... two years ago now? for about $12, so it's gone up. Still going strong. I've never had one of the expensive badger brushes, it'll be one of my presents-to-me one of these days. Tweezerman brush is soft but not floppy and quickly generates a good lather with my Tabac or Taylor's shaving cream (concur that you really want the good stuff there!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »
"I understand some pure badger brushes are OK, but I wouldn't spend the money on them. For the price of a questionable pure badger I'll take a kick ass boar brush every single day."

Same here.

I don't mind spending a bit of time to work up a lather. I shave in the shower, so a few more seconds under the water is fine.

OK, I think I'm going to go with this one just as an intro to Omega.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Porcelin-Handle-Assorted-Colors/dp/B0035TU1DO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1373289475&sr=8-10&keywords=omega+shaving+brush+boar+-badger

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »
"Tweezerman brush is soft"

I actually prefer a stiffer brush, so I think that boar remains a good choice for me.

Yesterday I actually bought a can of shaving cream for the first time in years...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »
These are the brushs I had been using:

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Natural-Shave-Brushes/dp/B001ET7EFA/ref=sr_1_43?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1373289899&sr=1-43&keywords=shaving+soap

I was using them because I could get them at the one drug store near my house. Or, at least I used to be able to get them. No longer, apparently, as both the brushes and shaving soap are off the shelves.

Our world is becoming so much less civilized.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »
"Tweezerman brush is soft"

I actually prefer a stiffer brush, so I think that boar remains a good choice for me.

Yesterday I actually bought a can of shaving cream for the first time in years...

Just want to clarify - it's not floppy at all, you stand the brush on end and the bristles point up. It's not prickly, I guess I should have said. But boar will almost certainly be stiffer than badger, from what I've read.

Just remembered - for comparison, the little travel-sized brush that comes with the Art Of Shaving kits is badger, and is softer and floppier than my Tweezerman brush - unpleasantly so. Perhaps I *DON'T* want to try an expensive badger brush, after all? So yeah, Mike, give what you're saying, you probably don't want a pricy badger brush either.

I've got a can of ... something or other - Aveeno, maybe, some special sensitive-skin gel that works okay for "emergency" shaves (when I'm sleeping downstairs to keep from waking my wife up at 2 in the morning when I'm on day shift, and forgot to shave the night before). For regular use, I prefer Taylor's of Old Bond Street, sandalwood scent or avocado; Tabac is also nice, but considerably more expensive. I have some Truefit and Hill that's not quite as good a shave as the Taylor's - so far, of all the stuff I've tried, the Taylor's tub of cream is really my favorite as far as comfort. But Mysore Sandal Soap (an Indian (?) sandalwood soap, that's fairly soft) works surprisingly well as a shave soap, too - wet your face, lather up, apply soap by hand, shave it off in the shower.

Aveeno gel is this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Aveeno-Therapeutic-Natural-Colloidal-Oatmeal/dp/B0000536EY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1373294618&sr=1-1&keywords=shaving+cream+aveeno+men

Mysore sandal soap, which I use as regular shower soap just because I like sandalwood: http://www.amazon.com/Mysore-Sandal-Soap-grams-Units/dp/B002PHN5BM/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1373294725&sr=1-5&keywords=mysore

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
These are the brushs I had been using:

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Natural-Shave-Brushes/dp/B001ET7EFA/ref=sr_1_43?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1373289899&sr=1-43&keywords=shaving+soap

I was using them because I could get them at the one drug store near my house. Or, at least I used to be able to get them. No longer, apparently, as both the brushes and shaving soap are off the shelves.

Our world is becoming so much less civilized.

They're available at Walmart and sometimes Target.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
"They're available at Walmart..."

I was at Walmart yesterday. No shaving soap, no shaving brushes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »
just in case, menthol and badger does not mix. :angel:

but it speeds up the brake-in of lesser :angel: brushes nicely.

oh, and washing it(boar brush) in shampoo and conditioner will knock the sent down some. =D

oh, and in badger. stiff can be had in too ways, shorter bristles, or a denser knot. want to get rid of some cash? >:D

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »
It's nice on occasion but it's usually just to floppy for my taste.

TWSS
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »
I use pure badger everyday.  The thing I'm not thrilled with is the cut of my safety razor.  I'm trying different blades but the all miss the spot under my lip and above my chin.   :mad: :mad: :mad:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 05:39:15 AM »
I use pure badger everyday.  The thing I'm not thrilled with is the cut of my safety razor.  I'm trying different blades but the all miss the spot under my lip and above my chin.   :mad: :mad: :mad:
what razor?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 07:06:09 AM »
"oh, and washing it(boar brush) in shampoo and conditioner will knock the sent down some."

Sent? Sent what?

Actually, I noticed it smelled vaguely like... tar.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »
Boar brushes aren't bad scent-wise.  Horse hair brushes, on the other hand, are terrible.  My horse hair brush stank for weeks before finally settling down into a mild funk.

Chris

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
Yeah sometimes boar stinks for a bit, sometimes not. Badger usually smells like wet dog ass for a couple weeks if you dont give it a good shampooing

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
Boar brushes aren't bad scent-wise.  Horse hair brushes, on the other hand, are terrible.  My horse hair brush stank for weeks before finally settling down into a mild funk.

Chris

You obviously mistook your funk for the brush's funk.

Your funk is... funkier.