Author Topic: SWAT raids without a warrant are fine...  (Read 3372 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
SWAT raids without a warrant are fine...
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »
if they're just "licensing checks" on people suspected of working as barbers without licenses. Cause, you know, nothing spells out the need for full on military style raids more than people cutting hair without being properly licensed.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/07/%E2%80%9Cwhy_did_you_shoot_me_i_was_reading_a_book_the_new_warrior_cop_is_out_of_control/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: SWAT raids without a warrant are fine...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:50:58 PM »
Cue CSD to say that since Radly Balko wrote it none of it is valid.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
Not just from this article, but as a taxpayer I'm starting to really question whether we need SWAT teams at all.  The kind of crime they're supposed to stop is rare, and less destructive then the teams.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
When all you have is a nice, expensive, (somewhat) trained Hammer.  Then every problem is a nail.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
Do we need publicly funded security/investigative agencies at all?

Have individuals, neighborhoods, HOAs, retail areas and so forth hire their own security and use private and insurance investigators to handle the more complicated needs.   
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
Holy *expletive deleted* an article at Salon that I actually agree with!
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
People who cut hair without a license are hard to stop.  Next thing you know they will be renting pigs.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »
Do we need publicly funded security/investigative agencies at all?

Have individuals, neighborhoods, HOAs, retail areas and so forth hire their own security and use private and insurance investigators to handle the more complicated needs.  

In other neighborhoods/communities, its Mafia/Tong/Syndicate that enforce contract, civil, criminal law much better and more expediently than .gov can. Whether this is good or bad depends on the individual.

It would be a lot of fun if organizations that had high risks of 'audits' or 'license checks' could hire mercs or security contractors to secure against JBThuggery.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:55 PM »
People who cut hair without a license are hard to stop.  Next thing you know they will be renting pigs.

Or juggling geese.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
Finally read all the way through ............

We are all "dogs"   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »
The problem with a tactical team is that you have to use it, or someone will take the funding and put it to other use.  Only way you can justify having the newest and bestest tacticool toys is to raid things from time to time, to rmeind those who make budgets how important you are.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »
The problem with a tactical team is that you have to use it, or someone will take the funding and put it to other use.  Only way you can justify having the newest and bestest tacticool toys is to raid things from time to time, to rmeind those who make budgets how important you are.

Is that sorta like firefighters starting fires ....?   =|

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »

Not the best comparison. Around here, firefighters are also EMTs, and 80+% of their runs are medical. SWAT is a straight-up uni-tasker.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »

That has happened several times here in the past few years.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »
Note to self: If I ever engage in such nefarious activities as betting on sports games with colleagues, hosting a poker game in my kitchen, or (shudder) engaging in unlicensed haircutting, I'm going to hire a lookout so I won't be surprised by a SWAT raid.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »
Note to self: If I ever engage in such nefarious activities as betting on sports games with colleagues, hosting a poker game in my kitchen, or (shudder) engaging in unlicensed haircutting, I'm going to hire a lookout so I won't be surprised by a SWAT raid.

Sometimes I want to move out of my house and sleep in a machine gun nest in a cave on the hill  ;)

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
^^^^you got any extra room in the hole? =D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »
^^^^you got any extra room in the hole? =D

I'll dig the hole if you bring the machine gun.  =)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »

Got a former member of a local VFD on trial for that very thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Levant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 12:32:28 AM »
In January 2011, the Culosi family accepted a $2 million settlement offer from Fairfax County. That same year, Virginia’s government spent $20 million promoting the state lottery.

The government has never stood for having competition.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party