Author Topic: You Thought the DHS Ammo Hoarding Was Bad?  (Read 8839 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: You Thought the DHS Ammo Hoarding Was Bad?
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »
Don't be silly. They all expired and I replaced them with new MREs in preparation for SuperVolcano.

Don't be silly.   What is this "expire" thing?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 04:32:57 AM »
We will not know if MREs expire for at least another 50 years.

Up through 1943 the Army was still fielding Iron Rations from storage after The Big One.  There are numerous reports that the Japanese especially liked them.

K-Rats were finally falling apart (literally as well as nutritionally) just before Vietnam started.  Most likely due to ove-handling by successive generations of soldiers and civillian warehouse personnel looking for Hershey's Tropical Chocolate bars that had been missed by earlier waves of scavengers.  The last bar I ate was back in the 1990s - it was still not merely OK but goooood (for all values of Hershey's Tropical Chocolate).

C-Rats are still in storage.  The only reason nobody seems to be scavenging the is an overpowering fear of ending up with a can of Ham & Lima Beans.  (Historical side note: Dad's primary job in the Quartermaster Corps/Research and Development Command was to figure out how to keep the fat mixed with the other stuff in the can.  Seems Nature can be a real biotch, 'cause regardless of what they did/put in there a hockey puck of fat would appear at the top after about a year.  The solution was to invert the cases every 6 months. Took one of the woprld's top three researchers in lipoprotien stability to come up with that!)

What you need to watch out for are the surplus squad meals http://www.longlifefood.com/MRE-Tray-Packs/products/1029/  They are NOT just more MRE stuff, in spite of what they retailers will try to tell you.  And they do NOT keep "just as long" as MREs. 24 months and you start to see both nutritional and physical breakdown - yes, even of the pork sausage patties, hard as that may be to believe.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:13 AM »
It still tastes like creamed corn.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Levant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 11:52:09 PM »
I still think FEMA needs to be de-funded and destroyed, and the National Guard take over this duty.

How about we defund and dismantle FEMA and the National Guard and let the local community handle local disasters.  All disasters are local.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 12:05:03 AM »
How about we defund and dismantle FEMA and the National Guard and let the local community handle local disasters.  All disasters are local.

Yes, I'm sure that would have worked a treat in Joplin.  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife