Author Topic: The Raisin reserve  (Read 4194 times)

zahc

• friend
The Raisin reserve
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/one-growers-grapes-of-wrath/2013/07/07/ebebcfd8-e380-11e2-80eb-3145e2994a55_story.html

If active attempts to kill the republic don't succeed, it will simply collapse from the accumulated weight of bureaucracy like this.
Horne, a raisin farmer, has been breaking the law for 11 solid years. He now owes the U.S. government at least $650,000 in unpaid fines. And 1.2 million pounds of unpaid raisins, roughly equal to his entire harvest for four years.

His crime? Horne defied one of the strangest arms of the federal bureaucracy — a farm program created to solve a problem during the Truman administration, and never turned off.

He said no to the national raisin reserve.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

SADShooter

• friend
Re: The Raisin reserve
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »
At least he didn't run afoul of the Prune Preservation Program.  ;/ :facepalm:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »
Working for them would be a plum job.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Working for them would be a plum job.

I shrivel in the presence of a dry wit.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »
Raisin Hell
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »
This was a plump and juicy story.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »

No clue how ANY court couldn't say "Uh, this is an obvious Fifth Amendment Violation".  It'd be one thing if it was a tax.

But seriously, they have to turn over a third or half their crops to a committee essentially makes it disappear into thin air? Willing to bet a lot of bureaucrats got rich on graft in that committee. $65 mil, with the authority to blow it in virtually any way they wish? Shoot, I could think of a dozen ways to probably legally embezzle funds from that set up. Pay a second cousin $100k per month for hosting a web site.  Have another cousin $200k to promote that web site. Donate several million tons to a non-profit run by a second cousin (earning $150k salary) who sells them to schools or prisons at cut rate prices. etc etc.

Now that is one seriously lucrative scam. Wish I found a deal that sweet. I know of a family that has a lock on the "economic development" agency for an entire state. Very very lucrative. Their job is essentially handing out grants. Extended family members' work places tend to get more grants.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »
He now owes the U.S. government at least $650,000 in unpaid fines. And 1.2 million pounds of unpaid raisins, roughly equal to his entire harvest for four years.

The article says he took out the grape vines and planted nut trees in their place, so paying the 'raisin fee' is nigh impossible now.
$650,000 would build a really nice killdozer (now with climate controls!) along with a trailer to carry it to wherever its needed.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »
So .gov simply TAKES a chunk of the farmer's crop, without any pretense of compensation?   ???

I don't see how this passes Constitutional muster.

This reads like a story out of "The Onion" . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »
The article says he took out the grape vines and planted nut trees in their place, so paying the 'raisin fee' is nigh impossible now.
$650,000 would build a really nice killdozer (now with climate controls!) along with a trailer to carry it to wherever its needed.

From the article:
“If I knew we were going to go through all this, I would have just pulled the grapes out and put in almond” trees, he said.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »
From the article:
Ah, my bad reading comprehension.... I should have skimmed it a little more slowly. =|

Even if he does pay the 'raisin fee' it amounts to slave labor.

Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
Thanks for keeping us currant on this event.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
This is why every law should have a seven year sunset provision.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »
This is why every law should have a seven year sunset provision.

This law should have died on the vine.  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
Yeah, the use of this law has dried up.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
“I lost a lot of my land, following the rules,” said Eddie Wayne Albrecht, a raisin grower in nearby Del Rey, Calif. He handed over 47 percent of his crop to the reserve in 2003. And 30 percent in 2004. He lost so much money that his holdings shrank from 1,700 acres to 100.

:O
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
The proof that we live in a (mostly) civilized society is that there are not killdozer like events on a daily basis.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 11:26:59 PM »
I think the raisin reserve is stupid, just learned about it tonight, but I have no sympathy for this guy if he goes broke from fines.

The law's been there his whole life. Ain't like it got sprung on him mid season. If he didn't like it he should have just stuck to grape production, wine making, almonds, or whatever.  If he wanted to challenge the law in court (which I commend him for doing) he should have refused to surrender his crop for one year to gain standing and then gotten out.  Instead he rode the profits of the artificially high prices created by the system he doesn't want to play with for 11 years.  That's 10 too many.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »
The law's been there his whole life. Ain't like it got sprung on him mid season. If he didn't like it he should have just stuck to grape production, wine making, almonds, or whatever.  If he wanted to challenge the law in court (which I commend him for doing) he should have refused to surrender his crop for one year to gain standing and then gotten out.  Instead he rode the profits of the artificially high prices created by the system he doesn't want to play with for 11 years.  That's 10 too many.

Seriously. No.
If raisin farmers created their own price controls by forming a private price collusion club, people would be calling for their heads. In this case, the one farmer shouldn't be prosecuted, the entire organization should be prosecuted. Bad laws need to be ignored if not challenged.
Of course if .gov instituted "droit de seigneur" there would be people out there who would crucify those who didn't turn their wife or daughter over to the diseased local bureaucrat because 'the law is the law.'

Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 12:34:07 AM »
I don't have a problem with people completely ignoring stupid laws that shouldn't exist to begin with.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 08:35:51 AM »
I think the raisin reserve is stupid, just learned about it tonight, but I have no sympathy for this guy if he goes broke from fines.

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken

Just because a the government and a bunch of growers from 1949’s voted something in does not mean it's right. And the "high profits" were likely eaten away by the raisin theft, raising taxes, inflation, etc. In the 1950's, sure, folks were probably riding high as a hog on artificially inflated prices. Since the 90's, I doubt it.

A man should be able to raise whatever crop he wants with reasonable taxation, fair representation and without theft.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »
This sounds more like feudalism then anything else.  You have to give your master a percentage (arbitrarily set by said master), and they take that produce and use it enrich themselves by selling the raisins they stole from the growers.  (That's the $65.4 million they blew last year.)  If they paid the growers market price then I'd have no problem (well, yes I would.)  However, then it would be simply another useless, wasteful .gov program.

This simply outright theft.

And it probably took 11 years for this to make it to the Supremes.  Figure a couple years of non-compliance and then wending it's way through the courts.  Yep, I could easily see 11 years.  The wheels of justice turn slowly.  Very, very, very slowly. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 12:06:13 AM »
Just because a the government and a bunch of growers from 1949’s voted something in does not mean it's right. And the "high profits" were likely eaten away by the raisin theft, raising taxes, inflation, etc. In the 1950's, sure, folks were probably riding high as a hog on artificially inflated prices. Since the 90's, I doubt it.

A man should be able to raise whatever crop he wants with reasonable taxation, fair representation and without theft.

Keep in mind that I never used "high profits" -- I just said that he profited from artificially high prices.  Not knowing what the raisin industry is like he could have very well just been scraping along.  Given that another raisin farmer near him, obeying the law, had to sell significant portions of his land I doubt the illicit farmer was riding high on the hog.  I never meant to imply that he was getting rich by ignoring the law, but he was making more money by doing that.

And I do agree with your last paragraph: "A man should be able to raise whatever crop he wants with reasonable taxation, fair representation and without theft. "

You can make good money growing marijuana, but that's illegal.  The feds will seize all of your crop if they find it.  Is it morally wrong?  Well, no, not to me.  But it's illegal, so if you go into marijuana farming knowing that it's illegal you shouldn't be surprised when you get fined.

But, because the Feds seize every single crop they can find you get fabulous prices for it.

Same thing with raisins.  Yes, you can grow them, but the Feds limit how much can be sold on the market so they demand that you surrender some of them.  That keeps the prices where somebody, not sure who exactly, wants them.  Ignoring the rules fetches you more money, just like with marijuana.  The only real difference is with one crop they demand partial surrender and in another they demand total surrender.

And if somebody goes to jail after knowingly violating the agreed upon rules, even if they do harken from decades before, I won't really feel sorry for them.

My distaste for how this particular man handled it goes a little further.  You don't grow raisins, you grow grapes.  You have to process them a bit further to get to that raisin stage.  That tells me that he, and every other raisin farmer, has seen some benefit in this government protection program since it has existed.  If they didn't they'd have just sold the grapes.  But they're all going through with one extra step to get into that protected market.  And they may bitch and moan about how it works, but they jumped through an extra hurdle to get into that market.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 12:11:18 AM »
IIRC, commodity prices are regulated by the FDA to 1917 price levels.  (Because of the manpower drain in WWI.)

And we're still there today, after adjusting for inflation. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 02:30:43 AM »
On the other hand, complaining about finally getting called on disobeying the law after that long seems like sour grapes...

(note this was obviously a set up for a raisin pun, not indicative of my actual position)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:34:22 AM by Matthew Carberry »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."