Author Topic: Taking omega-3 fish oil supplements may increase the risk of prostate cancer  (Read 1296 times)

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2359466/Taking-omega-3-fish-oil-supplements-increase-risk-aggressive-prostate-cancer-70.html

However, scientists found that those with the highest levels of omega-3 in their blood were 71 per cent more likely to develop fast-growing, hard-to-treat prostate tumours.
They were also more likely to contract the slower, less deadly form of the disease, with the overall prostate cancer risk raised by 43 per cent.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2359466/Taking-omega-3-fish-oil-supplements-increase-risk-aggressive-prostate-cancer-70.html#ixzz2YhbbSDDl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Interesting info.  Heart attack or prostate cancer?

My blood work was okay last time.  The doctor told me not to worry about supplements.  I guess I am glad of that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
This sounds a lot like one of those correlation =/= causation problems..

The study doesn't  take into account whether a disease, deficiency, or genetic disorder may be the reason why a person is taking the supplements, and that it might not be Omega-3 itself that is the cause.

I'm currently taking a fairly large dose of Fish oil under direction of my Dr to help with my triglyceride levels because I can't tolerate niacin. Like i said above, if I get prostate problems down the road, there are plenty of other factors at play, not just omega-3 supplements.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
Well, that would be true with just about any of these studies. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Say hello to 6000mg a day.  =|

PSA is good though.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Say hello to 6000mg a day.  =|

PSA is good though.

But THEY just came out with a paper saying PSA testing is done too frequently and that the "other" exam is much more accurate.

stay safe.

PS - I'm not sure my PCP actually remembers how my prostate felt from exam to exam.  If they do, I'm even more worried.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
PS - I'm not sure my PCP actually remembers how my prostate felt from exam to exam.  If they do, I'm even more worried.
Do you feel a hand on both of your shoulders when he does the check?

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Are you saying we're not supposed to?  :laugh:

My doctor is a firm believer in both (tests, not hands).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
But THEY just came out with a paper saying PSA testing is done too frequently and that the "other" exam is much more accurate.

stay safe.

THEY have been prepping the ground for Obamacare.  Same deal with mammograms & lot of other preventive medicine.  Preventive medicine spend big bucks to find diseases, but is awfully nice for the person who spotted the problem early.  Not so much for gov't/Obamacare.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
:rofl:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Pharmacology

• friends
Eh... I question the clinical significance of these new findings.

Either way, the benefits of omega 3s have been called into question recently.

Cliffh

• friend
I've stopped paying attention to these type of studies ever since milk was said to cause cancer.

BTW, heard on the radio today that salt isn't as bad as THEY have been saying.

Hawkmoon

• friend
My Omega-3 gel caps are 1200 mg. I've been taking one a day for a year or two.

Should I stop?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
Eh... I question the clinical significance of these new findings.

Either way, the benefits of omega 3s have been called into question recently.

I also heard on the radio this morning about a report that the CDC did a study and found low salt diets can be harmful and may exacerbate heart disease....

Someday Drs are going to look back at our surrent state of the medicine art and see it the same way we look at bloodletting to cure diseases.

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I have been taking 1200 mg of fish oil for many years.  I was doing so for both the anti-inflammatory and cardio-protective effects.  After the May 2013 study published in NEJM showing no cardiac benefit for those who have not had a heart attack, and now this study showing the correlation with increased incidence of prostate cancer, I have chucked my bottle of fish oil caps into the trash.  I have actually read both studies and they were well-designed and conducted.

So until the next batch of reputable literature comes around showing that fish oil has demonstrable benefits without demonstrable harm, I will no longer be taking them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I also heard on the radio this morning about a report that the CDC did a study and found low salt diets can be harmful and may exacerbate heart disease....

Someday Drs are going to look back at our surrent state of the medicine art and see it the same way we look at bloodletting to cure diseases.

Years ago I heard on the radio that drinking a quart of whisky a week makes you resistant to nuclear radiation  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
Years ago I heard on the radio that drinking a quart of whisky a week makes you resistant to nuclear radiation

It does make you invincible to everything and does give you superhuman strength if you quaff it all at once.

Barack Obama

Sergeant Bob

• friend
It does make you invincible to everything and does give you superhuman strength if you quaff it all at once.

:rofl: :rofl:
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Like this is gonna stop me from eating fresh salmon.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
Like this is gonna stop me from eating fresh salmon.

Yeah, the stale stuff is SOOOO much better ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

NickySantoro

Another perspective here......

http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/2013/07/dangers-of-fish-oils-and-prostate-cancer-based-on-flawed-science-says-dr-michael-savage/

I've been taking fish oil along with Lipitor for several years and it raised my HDL and lowered my LDL and triglycerides when the Lipitor alone didn't. That being said, I have an appointment with my internist on Monday and my urologist on Wednesday. I'll be getting their take on the issue for sure.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Curious to hear about it, myself.  I'm a big salmon/trout/bluegill/cod/walleye eater in this house. 

Especially when Irish wife throws some kind of beef roast in the crock pot for a day and calls it done in the evening.   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"