Author Topic: Nooooo! Pork production threatened - bacon supply in danger  (Read 1205 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22806986/pig-virus-migrates-to-us-threatens-pork-prices

Posted:  Jul 10, 2013 1:59 PM CDT Updated:  Jul 10, 2013 2:59 PM CDT 
 By STEVEN K. PAULSON
Associated Press
DENVER (AP) - Pork prices may be on the rise in the next few months because of a new virus that has migrated to the U.S, killing piglets in 15 states at an alarming rate in facilities where it has been reported.

Dr. Nick Striegel (STREE'-gel), assistant state veterinarian for the Colorado Department of Agriculture, said Wednesday the Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus, also known as PED, was thought to exist only in Europe and China, but Colorado and 14 other states began reporting the virus in April, and officials confirmed its presence in May. The virus causes severe diarrhea, vomiting and severe dehydration in pigs, and can be fatal.

"It has been devastating for those producers where it has been diagnosed. It affects nursing pigs, and in some places, there has been 100 percent mortality," he said.

Striegel said the disease is not harmful to humans, and there is no evidence it affects pork products.

He said outbreaks are not required to be reported to federal officials, so the extent of the spread is difficult to determine, but in Colorado at least two large production facilities have seen outbreaks.

The virus has been confirmed in about 200 hog facilities in 14 other states including Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota, according to the American Association of Swine Veterinarians.

Dr. Lisa Becton, director of swine health information and research for the National Pork Board, an industry trade group, said the impact on the availability of pork and meat prices is difficult to estimate.

"At this point, I really don't have any indications what that potential impact would be. Obviously, we know for individual farms the impact is severe, especially if it's a sow farm that has baby pigs, because baby pigs do suffer the most from the disease," she said.

No more baby pigs means those little piggies are not going to be growing up to go to market where they will be bought and lovingly turned into bacon.

There are not enough words to describe the sad I haz.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Nooooo! Pork production threatened - bacon supply in danger
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
Get your bacon from Walmart.  Everything there comes from China anyway.  You don't what to know how it was made.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
Get your bacon from Walmart.  Everything there comes from China anyway.  You don't what to know how it was made.
Given the dwindling numbers of dissidents China admits to these days, I wonder if there's any truth to the rumors they're making bacon from long pig?

:O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22806986/pig-virus-migrates-to-us-threatens-pork-prices

No more baby pigs means those little piggies are not going to be growing up to go to market where they will be bought and lovingly turned into bacon.

There are not enough words to describe the sad I haz.

stay safe.
Maybe it will just kill the one that went weeee, weee, weee all the way home. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
From what I understand this is so far mostly a factory farm problem. I hope it stays that way.
At least I have 2 freezers full of pork.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »
Call in the CDC!  Set up those big decontamination tents and mobile labs!  Do SOMETHING!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »
From what I understand this is so far mostly a factory farm problem. I hope it stays that way.
At least I have 2 freezers full of pork.

So what is your address, you know so I can deliver some fruit baskets and stuff...  =D
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »
So what is your address, you know so I can deliver some fruit baskets and stuff...  =D

I'll PM you my 911 address =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
We should buy stock in Larry's pigs.  =D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
I only keep them during the fall and winter. I'll buy 2 feeders the end of September or so and feed them out till they hit 300# or there abouts. But I did put in my order with "the factory" yesterday morning.

Samuel Adams

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 11:45:48 PM »
Would this virus work on wild pigs ? Maybe this could cut off or slow down the wild pig invasion.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
I only keep them during the fall and winter. I'll buy 2 feeders the end of September or so and feed them out till they hit 300# or there abouts. But I did put in my order with "the factory" yesterday morning.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to breed them yourself?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 10:57:20 PM »
I've done that dance before. My property isn't conducive to serious production, too hilly below the house/yard area. Actual breeding of course would require maintaining at least 1 sow and pimping her out at least once a year for the boar's contribution to the operation. That all requires an investment in infrastructure and a year round commitment to the livestock I'm not willing to make. Much easier and cheaper for me to buy 2 feeder gilts in the fall, raise them through the winter and have them butcherd in the late spring.

Samuel Adams

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
Makes sense. Especially seeing as how I'm not the one who has to do all that work.  =D

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:23 AM »
Sadly, pigs are the one livestock animal banned by my HOA.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 12:09:13 AM »
I wouldn't live somewhere I couldn't raise a pig.
 =D

Samuel Adams