Author Topic: Detriot files for bankruptcy.  (Read 4684 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Detriot files for bankruptcy.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 11:49:11 AM »
I thought Tincup was thriving again (in the summer anyway), having been taken over by Yuppies.

And I think I have driven over Tincup Pass from St. Elmo in a 2WD car before, but I might be misremembering that from years ago as a kid in our VW camper -- also 2WD but high ground clearance and low gears.

Yeah but it is now unincorporated and governed by the county.

The "new" Tincup pass isn't too bad, especially on the east side.  We met a wide-eyed young couple coming over in a 1969 Impala.  They must have just skidded it down the first 1/4 mile on the west side.  Below that it is not too bad again.  We were in a 1965 Chevy short stepside 2wd with I-6/4speed and did just fine.  There is an "old" section of the pass that goes up the east side of the valley above timberline (west side of the pass).  I drove it once about 40 years ago in a K-20.  From some YT videos that I have seen it is a lot worse now.  I think the motor bikers have chewed the hell out of it just like all the trails in that area :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Detriot files for bankruptcy.
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
Good 30 second summary or why & how Detroit is out of "next times."
http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/07/20/the-tragedy-of-detroit-the-motor-citys-l

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-19/detroit-goes-from-motor-city-to-junkyard.html

Detroit’s Chapter 9 filing is necessary; everyone except the bondholders and the union members seems to recognize that much. But will it be enough? Bankruptcy can shrink the obligations the city must pay. Yet what is really needed is to shrink the city itself, and its workforce, into a size more appropriate to today’s economic realities. And unfortunately, no judge has the power to order such a transformation.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:21:56 PM by Roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton