Author Topic: Buy George a new gun?  (Read 4697 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Buy George a new gun?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »

What does "information" mean in the bold part above?

It refers to a Bill of Information.  It is a substitute for an indictment, in which the defense waives their right to a grand jury indictment.  In my experience, it's usually something that happens in a pure slam dunk case where the defense is setting the case up for a plea, and trying to minimize the charges.  Often, when the case is a no-brainer, and defense counsel is involved before the matter is presented to a grand jury, the defense will propose a bill of information to try and control the number of charges, thereby reducing the number of offenses and the length of possible sentences.

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_terms_dictionary/information-bill-of-information

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
Speaking of which, how and why did the Z case skip the grand jury?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Apparently, Florida law only requires an indictment on a capital murder charge...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bennett-l-gershman/george-zimmerman-grand-jury_b_1445714.html

Didn't know SCOTUS had ruled Constitutional requirement only applied to federal charges..,
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »
What are the chances that someone in the DoJ or other agency has already salted the NICS system post-trial with enough bad info that Zimmerman would be denied if tried a background check?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
What are the chances that someone in the DoJ or other agency has already salted the NICS system post-trial with enough bad info that Zimmerman would be denied if tried a background check?

He would buy one in a private sale. I'm pretty sure George Zimmerman is going to get a gun (or three) and carry them, regardless what the law says.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »
Ohio sent him over $12k for a new gun and security system.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/26/ohio-firearms-group-sends-george-zimmerman-12k-buy/

How much would that buy in Patagonia ?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »
Ohio sent him over $12k for a new gun and security system.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/26/ohio-firearms-group-sends-george-zimmerman-12k-buy/

Yep, BFA is a really good organization.  They are also training school employees to respond to school shootings, since Ohio law allows school districts to permit weapons in schools.  Because of them raising money for Zimmerman their website got hit with a massive DDoS attack that took down their entire ISP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
Yep, BFA is a really good organization.  They are also training school employees to respond to school shootings, since Ohio law allows school districts to permit weapons in schools.  Because of them raising money for Zimmerman their website got hit with a massive DDoS attack that took down their entire ISP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

living good is the best revenge, but it would be awesome to strike back at those responsible somehow. I guess the verdict was sweet retaliation.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."