Author Topic: Generator  (Read 3860 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Generator
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »
(*) obligatory explanation that "zombies" is an intellectual shorthand for "planetary autoclave in progress, please stand by".

Is birdman playing with relativistic dust again?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 08:45:51 AM »
I stand by my statement.  The reason gas kept flowing is because other areas were unaffected, and could supply gas, maintenance crews, etc.  If zombies(*) are walking, ain't nothing gonna flow, for long.

(*) obligatory explanation that "zombies" is an intellectual shorthand for "planetary autoclave in progress, please stand by".

Mike's right. If it's end of the world, who cares? Problem with a lotta prep/survival folks is they do their thing for the LEAST likely scenarios and do not "prep" for the MORE likely scenarios. Personally, I'm just going with gasoline. Probably a 10Kw unit, wired to my garage. I'll price compare between automated transfer switch and manual transfer switch.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »
I stand by my statement.  The reason gas kept flowing is because other areas were unaffected, and could supply gas, maintenance crews, etc.  If zombies(*) are walking, ain't nothing gonna flow, for long.

A generator that size is going to consume ~1.5 gallons of diesel per hour under load, so you probably using up to 30 gallons of fuel a day. Diesel has a shelf life of 18-24 months without any additives and many urban areas have ordinances against large fuel storage tanks on properties zones residential. Also your homeowners insurance may be voided if they discover more than a few gallons of fuel stored on your property.

If TIKIWIKI does occur, good luck getting any sort of fuel, but in areas not prone to earthquakes that have residential NG more than likely NG will continue to flow unless something disrupts the lines. Where I live, in Iowa there is NG storage everywhere, above ground and below ground. I image the same for other places. Its good to live in flyover country.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:49:03 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 09:06:08 AM »

In a pinch, you can connect a propane or NG container directly to your generator. Assuming your generator is set up to handle said fuel.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »
"Problem with a lotta prep/survival folks is they do their thing for the LEAST likely scenarios and do not "prep" for the MORE likely scenarios."

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Before I got totally disgusted with it, I'd occasionally watch that shop Preppers and laugh my ass off at some of those idiots.

Some of them were literally preparing for the combined "Sharknado + Nookulur Locusts + New Madrid Earthquake + Instant Polar Ice Cap Melt + SARS + Collapse of Fiat Currency + Chinese Invasion + 190 deg. F heatwave + 24 feet of Ice and Snow + Mormons" disaster happening on the same *expletive deleted*ing day.

Castle Key has been in his house for quite awhile. He knows what the baseline parameters are for his area regarding availability of natural gas, electric, and water over that time. I think I'm pretty safe in saying that neither natural gas nor water have been affected in that time, but electric has gone out repeatedly, and a number of times for the better part of a week, or more.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 09:37:35 AM »
If zombies are walking  ;/, chances of being able to replace gasoline or diesel is going to be pretty damned slim to nonexistent.

If the situation is that catastrophic, that's when it's time to unass the area.
You are correct in all particulars.  If that happens, it's time to open the second envelope.  Set condition one throughout the ship, unmask the main battery, and train it out along the main threat axis. (I just loves me some pseudo Navy-speak)
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
Castle Key and I chatted briefly about this on the way to work this morning.

His assessment is that the absolutely critical devices to be powered by a gen would be (and I have to agree with him):

1. Household AC

2. Freezer

Everything else is a nicety.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
In defense of the doomsday prepper, the calculation is:  what the chance is of a Bad Thing happening, vs the consequence of the Bad Thing if it should occur.  My favorite (stolen) expression is: It ain't the odds that bother me, it's the stakes we're playing for.

I do chuckle at the notion that some folks are "prepared" to deal with Red Dawn, but couldn't jump start their car if they had to.

Regarding priorities listed, I'd add convenience lighting.  If you have any home security gear, I'd move that up as well.  Both of those are rounding errors, compared to home A/C.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »
If you have any home security gear, I'd move that up as well. 

The home security monitoring system does not need a steady flow of electricity but depends on the continual supply of meat products! The system does however prefer cooler environmental conditions coupled with fresh water.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:45 AM »
My parents were w/o electricity for about 2 weeks after Hurricane Ike.  They had 2 portable generators and lots of extensions cords.  They *thought* they had a lot of gasoline, but it goes pretty fast.  They would have run out if my uncle hadn't brought them another 10 or 20 gallons (probably siphoned out the Cadillac he had at the time), and even then it was close.  After that is when I got my little Yamaha generator instead of a 5500W generator that cost half as much; it sips gas rather than guzzles it.  But the gas will still run out if the power is out too long.

I really don't know why the gas stations don't open sooner, using their own generator to power the pumps, lights, and a cash register.  Maybe they figure they'll run out of gas in a day (a hard day's work) and then won't be able to get another truckload in so what's the point.
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 10:35:52 AM »
In defense of the doomsday prepper, the calculation is:  what the chance is of a Bad Thing happening, vs the consequence of the Bad Thing if it should occur.  My favorite (stolen) expression is: It ain't the odds that bother me, it's the stakes we're playing for.

I do chuckle at the notion that some folks are "prepared" to deal with Red Dawn, but couldn't jump start their car if they had to.

Regarding priorities listed, I'd add convenience lighting.  If you have any home security gear, I'd move that up as well.  Both of those are rounding errors, compared to home A/C.

Wait, you are saying preparedness doesn't mean only guns and beef jerky?????

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
"In defense of the doomsday prepper, the calculation is:  what the chance is of a Bad Thing happening, vs the consequence of the Bad Thing if it should occur."

Actually, I think the proper equation is more likely...

Rampant Paranoia X Social Disaffection Level / Black Helicopters3

As that output of that function approaches 1, hilarity ensues, and that shows was always hilarious. In a sad panda kinda way.

"It ain't the odds that bother me, it's the stakes we're playing for."

Yeah, and that's the problem... These are the guys who are standing on the sideline screaming in the coach's ear "PUT ME IN PUT ME IN PUT ME IN!" and who tear the *expletive deleted*it out of their knee just trying to get to the huddle...  ;/

Literally all I could think of when watching that show was tactical wheelbarrows and debarked chihuahuas...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:20:13 AM by Mike Irwin »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
Literally all I could think of when watching that show was tactical wheelbarrows and debarked chihuahuas...

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
So ok all you smarties. If I have an A/C compressor that has an RLA of 15 and a LRA of 63. How many amps will it draw on start up. It so happens I had to answer this one today. Not sure I have it right but I'm sure I have enough. LOL

Stove, nothing says you use the whole stove on the generator. I've used a couple burners and all I have is a 5KW. Judicious plugging and unplugging is the key. Also I have a water pump, to me THAT is the most important. I tried lugging water to flush. Lots of work. I also got myself into the habit of rationing the juice. Turn the generator off between meals etc. Saves a lot of fuel.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
Update: research is telling me LRA IS Startup amps. ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »

What if you're rampantly paranoid, socially disaffected and made dark green helicopters1 instead of black helicopters?

1 I keep asking the dark green helicopter folks to keep an eye out for black helicopters. No luck thus far.  =|

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
Well, there's a reason that we decided to put in a deep well hand pump instead of buy a generator.  ;)

Of course there is no NG service within 40 miles.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
"In defense of the doomsday prepper, the calculation is:  what the chance is of a Bad Thing happening, vs the consequence of the Bad Thing if it should occur."

Actually, I think the proper equation is more likely...

As that output of that function approaches 1, hilarity ensues, and that shows was always hilarious. In a sad panda kinda way.

"It ain't the odds that bother me, it's the stakes we're playing for."

Yeah, and that's the problem... These are the guys who are standing on the sideline screaming in the coach's ear "PUT ME IN PUT ME IN PUT ME IN!" and who tear the *expletive deleted* out of their knee just trying to get to the huddle...  ;/

Mike, you could take the fun out of a parade.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »

My job here is done!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 08:24:33 AM »

To do anything WELL, you do need to take some of the fun out of it and substitute craftsmanship. We all like shooting, but to get to the top tiers, it's a lot of work.

Most preppers would be dead in any serious SHTF scenerio and their assets would be added to the nearest warlord.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 08:44:30 AM »
The cost of a new NG oven/range is probably less than the price differential between a generator that can run your AC and a generator that can run your AC and your electric oven/range.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
The generator isn't being purchased to run the stove.

It's being purchased to provide electric to the AC / heating system.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
The generator isn't being purchased to run the stove.

Of course it isn't.  That would be crazy. Much more sense to get a gas stove.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage