Author Topic: Windows Live is irking me  (Read 1356 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Windows Live is irking me
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:02:15 PM »
I've been a Hotmail user since 1996.  Back when it was run on Unix, and HoTMaiL stood for HTML-based email.

I remember when Microsoft acquired it and converted the service to run on NT 4.0, IIS and Exchange, and when it crashed immediately and they had to put back up the Unix/Apache/Sendmail system.

My email address is very simple.  It's my name.  That's it.  No numbers, no dots, underscores, nothing.

I like that.

I've had it nearly 20 years.

I don't want to change.

But Microsoft is nagging the heck out of me to try and get some contact info.  I don't want to give it to them.

Two days ago I kept getting prompted to "verify" my account with either a phone number to which they can text me as a "password recovery and account intrusion protection," or an alternate email address.

Anyone know a way to defeat this?

I'm definitely not giving them my phone number.

I might go to some freebie email host and get some bullscat address I'll never check again (8D1D134E-828C-45CF-90CC-4942675CCB22@somewhere.com... some random GUID).  But I'm not giving them a work email address or something.

I'd really rather find the hidden checkbox that says "No I am not giving you this."

I've got 5 days to figure it out.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jim147

• friends
Re: Windows Live is irking me
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:22:11 PM »
I just gave them my gmail. I use my live account for most online shopping and my gmail as a business and friends.

If you only have the one email account after all these years, you don't give it out or you like the spam.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »
I have had a Hotmail account for about ten years, that I use for communicating with family members and that I try to keep free of all else. It worked for me just fine until Microsoft switched everything over to Outlook. The new interface is (to me, anyway) incredibly cluttered and counter-intuitive. I couldn't use it.

So I searched for free e-mail clients, and settled on a German service called GMX. I established a GMX account (free), and then configured GMX to retrieve messages from Hotmail. Setting that up was pretty transparent -- it had to be, or I couldn't have done it. Works great, and when creating new messages to send it allows me to chooses either my Hotmail address or my GMX address.

But I don't recall ever getting any requests for further contact info from Microsoft. Are you sure it's not from a bogus site, on a phishing expedition? No e-mail requests, but I HAVE received a number of phone calls from obvious (from the poor connections and amount of background noise) third world sweatshops claiming to be from some computer repair service, calling to repair "the problem with your computer." I just hang up on them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »
Anyone know a way to defeat this?

I'm definitely not giving them my phone number.
Give them a bogus phone number - something like 312-555-1234

Alternate email? Create something on Yahoo and use that.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
Give them a bogus phone number - something like 312-555-1234

Alternate email? Create something on Yahoo and use that.

They want to send a txt message to the number for some unknown reason.  Or an email.

So, I'll create a BS email addy.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »
Random GUID-derived email address at a non-major free email provider, and I seem to be good to go.

If it comes up again, I'll get a different email address somewhere else and repeat.
--Lysander Spooner