Author Topic: Project Pix...  (Read 2664 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Project Pix...
« on: August 18, 2006, 10:31:10 AM »
Pix of the near finished project...

Give me a minute to load them (3) here

First the house, looks good in it's grey and white primer, colors still being decided. ~8000 sq ft to the left is a 3 car garage with an office above. There is an access to the widow's walk too.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:34:16 AM »
This is the pump station. 11 zones = 11 pumps plus the two on the far wall which circulate the main loop to the units. It serves 6 Air movers (air handlers or fan/coils) and 5 floor areas including the basement and the garage.

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
The units, first of their kind in North America. That's a continent you know. Tongue

I'm an HVAC pioneer baby!

And yes I put all that crap in mostly by myself.

Cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 10:48:02 AM »
That system probably cost as much as my house. Smiley

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Project Pix...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:51:44 AM »
So you going on a long vacation with the profits?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 11:02:43 AM »
$105,000 but we shoulda got about 10% more. The labor turned into way more than I expected. It's a huge house.

He did get a $2,000 rebate from the gas co already. I STILL think I can get him one from the electric company too but I haven't had time to pursue it.

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »
No vacation but I AM going to pay some debt down. Cheesy

Dannyboy

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
No vacation but I AM going to pay some debt down. Cheesy
SOME?  100k and only some?  Damn, I thought I had it bad.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Project Pix...
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 08:09:21 PM »
Gas?
If I had that kind of money gas wouldn't come anywhere near my house.
Solar hotwater heater with electric back up, and a geothermal heatpump.
Unless I'm mistaken...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 01:53:16 AM »
SOME?  100k and only some?
LOL...Sounds like a lot right?  Those units cost $~13,000 each. So theres $26K right off the top. Then those pump station materials cost ~$3,, then theres ~8700 feet of  HEPEX tube WITH insulation on most of it that's ohhhh,,,$10,000. Then there's air handlers and manifolds and controls and ductwork and...
See that manifold leading all the tube into the floor? That cost me $500. shocked You'll notice the second one to the far right mounted vertically. Tongue

That's what I paid to my vendors. It adds up quick AND I've been working on it, although not steady every day, since April. I expect to take about $18,000 away from it. Which is what I was shooting for but with the labor hours and the usual unforseen extra expenses I'd go a little higher on the next one. You have to remember that this (and any new home for that matter) is a prototype. There is nothing else like it in the world and there won't be another one. Similar but not exactly the same. Each one is a learning experience and they evolve as I learn. I step off into the unknown every time I start one of these. We bid against people that came in anywhere from $45,000 to the geothermal system which was $135,000. What sold it was those units. They are comparable to geothermal but you don't have to drill wells, you just drop 'em with a crane and they're pretty much plug and play. Hence we beat out the geothermal by $30,000.

These are ammonia based air source to water heat pumps. They are brand new technology. They will run VERY LITTLE gas in the winter. According to the mfg they will only use gas on the coldest days. They WILL use gas in the summer to cool but it's efficiency rating doing this is comparable to 14 SEER. Those great big units that will heat and cool the house only need #14 wire and a 15 amp breaker. When the electrician ran it I said, "NO WAY, that's too small!!". But guess what? It ain't.

Then,,,You might notice a tobacco shed in the back. The owner wants to put solar panels all over the roof.

The only problem with him is he's a financial advisor not a builder and he comes up with the most hare brained schemes and then you have to talk him out of them.

Cheesy

Oh yeah, when I say pay down some debt. See that white E-250 parked in front of the house? There's some of it right there. Wink

Dannyboy

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 04:10:04 AM »
OK, that makes more sense.  I thought that was what you took home.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 07:04:48 AM »
i would think a building with a 6 figure profit to our resident HVAC guru would be a tad larger
Wink

that looks like a great install

i'm house hunting right now and one of my current fantasies is owned by a refrigeration contractor

i hope the mechanicals are as well installed as yours are!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

...has left the building.

Project Pix...
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 07:11:08 AM »
That HVAC system looks amazing! But is the house covered in siding!?

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 07:23:07 AM »
Yup, primed cedar siding. Not the best stuff in the world, kinda thin. The poor guys putting it on had to deal with all kinds of splits and defects and yet it wasn't cheap! shocked

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 07:28:35 AM »
I would have LOVED to take home 6 figures on it, then I definitely would have taken the rest of the year off and gone on a nice long vacation! Cheesy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 07:37:53 AM »
and biught us all a windmere

Wink
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 07:41:54 AM »
I don't know what that is but SURE what the hell...

Tongue

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 08:16:49 AM »
Here's some more pix...
This is the pumps a little earlier in the process. There is a long story as to why there is all that copper routing behind the upper manifold. It was supposed to be HEPEX tube but I ran out of room for technical reasons. One of those unforseen expenses we talked about. rolleyes

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 08:21:23 AM »
A pic showing the sprayed in insulation used. The thing is like a gigantic styrofoam cooler. With the insulation in it actually remains cool on the third floor. The insulation is sprayed between the roof joists and the spaces between the ceiling joists remain empty. This is in the garage looking up at the ceiling which is also the office floor.

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »
A view from the widows walk

another to the left of the first...

All these taken with a 1999 Nikon Coolpix 950 btw... Cheesy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 08:27:30 AM »
the windmere:

280plus

• friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 08:31:40 AM »
LMAO...They're cheap I'd get you two.

Cheesy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Project Pix...
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »
All that money for HVAC units and he puts thin wood siding on the house. Shoulda used something concrete-based like Hardi-Plank that would at least provide some thermal mass, not to mention that it's pretty much impervious to water and insect damage. If it's being painted anyway, no one would have ever known the difference.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Project Pix...
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 11:02:16 AM »
That spray foam insulation is the cat's nuts. I was in the attic of a Parade home last summer when it was 102 outside.  The temp in the attic, with about 10 people in there, was not bad by any means.  In fact, it was as comfortable as the rest of the house.

I'm very tempted to investigate it for the Fire Ant Palace.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Project Pix...
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 12:10:45 PM »
would it be bad for the external units to house them inside a mini 8x 6 tobacco shed?

its kinda odd to have something so industrial tagged on the side of the house and i'm always shoveling my heat pumps out in winter