Author Topic: shipping ammo  (Read 1183 times)

zahc

• friend
shipping ammo
« on: August 10, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
I'm doing a long-distance move and the moving company won't ship ammo.

I have 10 small boxes totaling about 350 pounds. Value is hard to guess, but I would guess at least $2000.

Has anyone shipped this quantity of ammo? Is it possible/economical?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: shipping ammo
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »
I've shipped ammo by UPS a few times. I think to ship one box of 1000 rounds of .45 Auto from here to Texas cost me about $25.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »
I haven't shipped ammo but I have received a crate of 5.45x39, or maybe it was two crates.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
I haven't shipped ammo but I have received a crate of 5.45x39, or maybe it was two crates.

It was actually two drums of pure hepatitis c.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:38:21 PM »
Pack it up well and mark it "ORM D."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 07:33:11 PM »
When I was selling ammo fedex and ups would not accept it at home pick-up unless I was a business and the UPS stores and contract places wouldn't take ORM-D, I took it to the Fed-ex dist. center. Definitely worth shipping. Anyway you can take it in the car with you? Or better yet find a moving company that will take it and tell the original to go pound sand and why.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »
UPS/FedEx are not the only shippers in town.  Check with your local trucking company about either lift-gate or residential pickup and delivery.

Get caught not telling the truth about haz-mat/ORM-D (not sure what the new designation, with the diamond instead of the rectangle, is called) status and they will turn you over to the feds in a heartbeat.

As best Google will tell me, there is no restriction on shipping by companies other than UPS/FedEx.  It seems to be more of an issue of common carrier shippers not wanting to bother with (for them) extremely small size/weight lots.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
Can you pack it into a large, lockable box, put it on a trailer and tow it with your vehicle?  I just moved over 2200 miles and had to do the same thing.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »
Can you pack it into a large, lockable box, put it on a trailer and tow it with your vehicle?  I just moved over 2200 miles and had to do the same thing.

I have 10 small boxes totaling about 350 pounds.

It will fit in the trunk.  A box from the liquor store will hold it all together nicely.  Just don't think the box will stand the stress of trying to pick it up out of the trunk all at once.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
Most moving companies won't tank anything flammable or used to be flammable.
When friends of mine went to Florida the moving company would not even take empty 5 gallon gas cans.
So I scored 4 gas cans and 2 20lb propane tanks. I wish I got his ammo. He packed all the guns and ammo in the pickup for the ride.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 09:31:41 PM »

It will fit in the trunk.  A box from the liquor store will hold it all together nicely.  Just don't think the box will stand the stress of trying to pick it up out of the trunk all at once.

stay safe.

Put a sling under it. A circle of rope tied or sliced to itself. you could even put a piece of 1/4" plywood between the box & the rope. But I overthink stuff.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »
I could take the ammo in the minivan, which I will be driving. However, minivan-space will be a precious resource, since we need to have parent-stuff and kid-stuff for a week or two. Plus, I don't think it's wise to have 30-pound ammo cans loose in the passenger compartment, and can't think of a good way to secure them. If I could tow a small uhaul trailer, I would be set; I could put all my contraband in there, but the minivan does not have a hitch, and I looked at the stickers in the door-jam and the owner's manual and it doesn't even mention towing capacity.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine