Author Topic: Laptop advice  (Read 1672 times)

zahc

• friend
Laptop advice
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
Since I just quit my job, I gave up my Lenovo R400 laptop. It was a very plain basic business laptop, but with the extended battery, plus the DVD-drive-battery, it would go 6+ hours on a charge, it was very rugged, and well, it was rugged and the battery lasted a long time. The keyboard was decent as well.

So I guess I need to buy myself a laptop, but all the cheap models just seem really cheap and plasticky and have lame keyboards. I don't even know where to shop to find a 3-year-old R400, though.

I get really insecure with consumer electronics because the models change so much and so often that it seems like there is no safe purchase. You just kind of have to go to the store with a budget in mind and pick something out...or get an Apple, which is I think 90% of why people buy those things...it feels like you are buying something definite. I see that you can buy old Macbooks on ebay for $400ish...do they run Linux?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jim147

• friends
Re: Laptop advice
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »
Microcenter gets the R400's in sometimes. Might check there.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:37:12 AM »
I just got a toshiba that I really like, I hate the Win8, but the laptop itself is great.  When I was looking for one, I checked the reviews on Amazon, Staples, Officedepot/max and Lenovo's sucked.  It didn't matter which one.

Keep checking:  http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&query=laptop&sort=&match=titles&forum=18&newsort=date
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:47:01 AM »
Since I just quit my job, I gave up my Lenovo R400 laptop. It was a very plain basic business laptop, but with the extended battery, plus the DVD-drive-battery, it would go 6+ hours on a charge, it was very rugged, and well, it was rugged and the battery lasted a long time. The keyboard was decent as well.

So I guess I need to buy myself a laptop, but all the cheap models just seem really cheap and plasticky and have lame keyboards. I don't even know where to shop to find a 3-year-old R400, though.

What's your budget?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »
ASUS.  Newegg.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:09:10 PM »
I'll second the Asus recommendation. I've sold a bunch this year and they've been pretty solid machines over all. If you're going the used route and looking at macs, as long as its an Intel chip your favorite distro should run. Keep in mind that the $400 used Mac is likely to be quite a bit less powerful then a new PC for the same price. Plus, its used. You don't know what kind of abuse the hard drive's taken, and it may be towards the end of the battery's useful life span.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »
Are you specifically looking for a Lenovo?  I can get you a good deal on new and used ones direct from Lenovo and IBM, respectively.  I don't know if they are great deals or not (I suspect some of them are and some aren't) the deals and the availability vary from week to week.  PM me if you're interested.

I have a Thinkpad T420 at work and love it -- and the battery life is incredible.  I have a 5+ year old Thinkpad R61 at home (original battery) and it is still adequate; I never expected it to go that long.
"It's good, though..."