Author Topic: Iraq War II surpasses World War II  (Read 10725 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Iraq War II surpasses World War II
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 05:22:52 PM »
Another guy with an agenda.  Oy.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »
This is all why you should Vote For Anyone But A Republican. Approved candidates include Gore, Kerry, and Hillary.
Blog under construction

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 05:50:13 PM »
Quote from: Bogie
This is all why you should Vote For Anyone But A Republican. Approved candidates include Gore, Kerry, and Hillary.
Heh.  Joe Lieberman is NOT on the approved list this time.

What a world...

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 05:57:08 PM »
It ain't a Cheneylie that Saddam was paying $25,000--or offering to--to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers.  It ain't a Cheneylie that he did worse genocide than Milosevic.  It ain't a Cheneylie that the Washington Establishment--both parties' leadership--kept talking about Saddam's WMDs and how they should be taken out.

Damfino.  I guess we oughta just roll over and imitate scared pups, learn Arabic and take up Sharia...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 06:48:05 PM »
Hehehe, I love it that the poster compared Iraq II and WWII, and then argued with me, because I compared Iraq II and WWII.

FreedomCommando

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 07:50:51 PM »
No, I said your statement prejudiced your thesis.
Oh OK, I understand you now. (Still disagree.)  

Your original statement made it sound like you equated the military with Walmart, as if to say it's something people do if they can't do anything else.
For many, it is. Many recruits join because their options are quite limited.  

Hehehe, I love it that the poster compared Iraq II and WWII, and then argued with me, because I compared Iraq II and WWII.
Let's look at what you actually wrote.

Uhm, last time I looked, we're still occupying territory in both Japan and Germany.
No, we're not still "occupying" Japan and Germany.  It's foolish to compare the peaceful presence of US troops in those two countries to the counterinsurgency war we're fighting in Iraq.  

It ain't a Cheneylie that Saddam was paying $25,000--or offering to--to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers.
So, US troops had to die to solve Israel's problem?  Interesting.

It ain't a Cheneylie that he did worse genocide than Milosevic.
Let's see, that would have been during 1980s when Rumsfeld was meeting with him, Reagan's state department was taking Iraq OFF the list of countries that sponsor terrorism, the intelligence agencies were sharing classified intel with Saddam, the West was supplying Baghdad with military hardware and other support to keep his violence rolling EVEN AS he was gassing Kurds and Iranians.  Consistent with the pattern throughout the Iran-Iraq war and after, the use of these internationally outlawed weapons was not considered important enough by Rumsfeld and his political superiors to halt Washington's blossoming love affair with Hussein.

Boy oh boy, we in the West really have the moral highground here, don't we, Art.  Yeah, we were really concerned about Saddam's terrible human rights record.  All that terrible torture and executions that took place at Saddam's notorious prison Abu Ghraib.  Glad we went in there and stopped all that violence.  Excellent work.

It ain't a Cheneylie that the Washington Establishment--both parties' leadership--kept talking about Saddam's
essentially NONEXISTENT after 1991

WMDs and how they should be taken out.
The US helped Iraq develop its chemical, biological and nuclear weapons programs.  Douglas Frantz and Murray Waas published it in the February 23, 1992, Los Angeles Times. Headlined, "Bush secret effort helped Iraq build its war machine", the article reported that "classified documents obtained by the LA Times show ... a long-secret pattern of personal efforts by [George Bush senior]--both as president and vice president--to support and placate the Iraqi dictator."

See Mark Phythian's 1997 book Arming Iraq: How the US and Britain Secretly Built Saddam's War Machine (Northeastern University Press).

If the Ba'athists all disappeared and Al Qaeda disappeared from the face of the planet, the US would quickly go out in search of new enemies.  WHo knows? Might even be some country with which we have currently have friendly relations.

And the neocon amen corner in this coiuntry will close ranks, forget history, pretend that cynical men in D.C. are idealists oh-so-concerned about human rights and democracy

Repeat after me: "Eurasia is the enemy. Eurasia has always been the enemy."

======

The broad mass of the nation ... will more easily fall victim to a big lie than to a small one.  Adolf Hitler, in his 1925 book Mein Kampf.
If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.  Nazi Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.  Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Göring during the Nuremberg Trials.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 08:34:58 PM »
"The US helped Iraq develop its chemical, biological and nuclear weapons programs.  Douglas Frantz and Murray Waas published it in the February 23, 1992, Los Angeles Times. Headlined, "Bush secret effort helped Iraq build its war machine", the article reported that "classified documents obtained by the LA Times show ... a long-secret pattern of personal efforts by [George Bush senior]--both as president and vice president--to support and placate the Iraqi dictator."

So?

Do you know so little of international politics and diplomacy that you don't realize that yesterday's friends are tomorrow's enemies?

That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always will be.

Yes, the United States helped Iraq build up its weapons stockpiles, mainly because they were a viable counter to the power of the Iranians.

At the time it was recognized that Saddam wasn't a very nice guy, but he seemed to be happy being in our diplomatic camp, and we were happy to have him.

That all changed in 1990, though. Saddam's military invaded one of our allies, and was seriously threatening yet another, more important ally.

Sounds a lot like what happened between the United States and Japan, or the United States and Germany, in the years leding up to Pearl Harbor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 01:02:10 AM »
[The Rabbi]"You left out the scheming by Zionist elements and Israel's Amen Corner in Congress."

... Instead of heckling with a popular sidetrack; why don't you refute specifically that which I have stated instead?

Or would you rather talk about Zionists and the "amen corner" in Washington DC?

----------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 04:04:40 AM »
Quote from: LAK
Or would you rather talk about Zionists and the "amen corner" in Washington DC?
I would rather pursue this subject and let you express your views.  Nothing will discredit your arguments better than that.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 04:41:31 AM »
I think that the real issue here is muslim property rights, and their freedom to exercise them.
Blog under construction

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 04:52:32 AM »
Quote from: Bogie
I think that the real issue here is muslim property rights, and their freedom to exercise them.
Could you expand on that a little?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 05:00:20 AM »
Quote from: FreedomCommando
THE WAS IN IRAQ HAS INCREASED WIDESPREAD HATRED OF THE US WITHIN THE MUSLIM WORLD, THUS FUELING AL QAEDA
That's very funny stuff, really.  Thank you for the amusement.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 05:50:54 AM »
Quote from: fistful
THE WAS IN IRAQ HAS INCREASED WIDESPREAD HATRED OF THE US WITHIN THE MUSLIM WORLD, THUS FUELING AL QAEDA
That's very funny stuff, really.  Thank you for the amusement.
Yeah, 'cause everyone knows that if we'd just let them kill a few thousand of us now and then, the Muslims would love us forever.  

Sigh...

One of the simplest ways of pegging someone as either liberal or conservative is to look at who they blame for a savage's savage behavior.  The conservative blames the savage, the lib blames everyone and everything except the savage.  

Crime?  
Conservative: blame the criminal.  
Liberal: blame the gun, blame society, blame budget cuts, blame the victim

Poverty?
Conservative: blame the poor person for his irresponsibility and/or laziness.  
Liberal: blame the rich, blame Republicans, blame caucasians, blame capitalists and entrepreneurs.

Terrorism?  
Conservative: blame the terrorists.  
Liberal: blame the West, blame Bush, blame Israel, blame our successful American way of life

At some point, if the Libs wanna start winning elections again, they're gonna have to re-evaluate their answers to the question of who to blame.  Most Americans have the sense to know that it's the Muslim savages' fault whenever they behave like savages and try to murder and burn and destroy us.  The current crop of libs apparently cannot figure this concept out.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 06:07:57 AM »
Hey, if Hussein, wants to kill thousands of his own people, who are we to argue? They were his people. If they wanted to rape thousands of women, hey... muslim property.

Actually used that argument at lunch one day. Had a cow-orker who had a Kerry sticker agreeing up until the last bit, and then I turned around and asked... er... no... TOLD her to go get me a glass of water.

And if they wanna get technical, the war's been over for quite a while... This is reconstruction... Heck, my dear dad got shot at after the war was over... German black marketeers...
Blog under construction

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 06:08:56 AM »
You might want to read up on the US occupation and reconstruction of Germany and Japan.  There was no insurgency in Germany or Japan.  As soon as their belligerent governments surrended, the Germans and the Japanese cooperated with the reconstruction of their countries.
THAT is pure, unmitigated horsepucky.  That piece of angle iron sticking up from the bumper of jeeps in post-war photos?  Thats an "anti-decapitation device".  Guess who was stringing wire across the roads at neck height, on routes they knew the military used, and also knowing the grunts were ordered to keep the windshields down...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

thumbody

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 06:41:58 AM »
( Art Eatman) "It ain't a Cheneylie that the Washington Establishment--both parties' leadership--kept talking about Saddam's WMDs and how they should be taken out."

(FreedomCommando) "essentially NONEXISTENT after 1991"

I believe you are wrong.

http://www.flashbunny.org/content/misled.html
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 06:46:05 AM »
Quote from: richyoung
You might want to read up on the US occupation and reconstruction of Germany and Japan.  There was no insurgency in Germany or Japan.  As soon as their belligerent governments surrended, the Germans and the Japanese cooperated with the reconstruction of their countries.
THAT is pure, unmitigated horsepucky.  That piece of angle iron sticking up from the bumper of jeeps in post-war photos?  Thats an "anti-decapitation device".  Guess who was stringing wire across the roads at neck height, on routes they knew the military used, and also knowing the grunts were ordered to keep the windshields down...
Garrot-fairies, since the post-war German resistance never existed (in the fevered revisionist histories* of some).

* History, plural, since a particular revised history becomes inconvenient as priorities change and history must be revised yet again.  This leads to juggling multiple revised histories, some of which are mutualy exclusive.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZ Jeff

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 10:09:17 AM »
So what your saying is that we had better enemies in WWII? I heartily agree.
Joe Conason has calculated that up until Sept. 11, 2001, Bush had spent 54 days at the ranch, 38 days at Camp David, and four days at the Bush compound in Kennebunkporta total of 96 days, or about 40 percent of his presidency, outside of Washington.

Hey Bush, ever hear of that crazy little thing called "the work ethic"?
While making your points about Bush's mistakes, you should be careful to focus on REAL issues, and not just tar and feather everything with the same broad brush.

Case in point:  the Camp David facility used by numerous President's is considered, in this context, to be an extension of the White House.  Counting GWB's time at Camp David as time "off the job" would be disingenuous.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 10:20:15 AM »
Does it matter where he is?  Can the President of the United States really escape his job?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 10:22:15 AM »
Does it matter where he is?  Can the President of the United States really escape his job?
+1.  I am sure the president works as much when he is "on vacation" as many people do when they are "at work."  It is a non-issue, something I would have expected to see in a Michael Moore film.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2006, 10:24:45 AM »
Does it matter where he is?
Sure it matters.  It doesn't count as work unless you're AT work.  I thought that was common knowledge.  And yes, that was sarcasm.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:32 AM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
Does it matter where he is?
Sure it matters.  It doesn't count as work unless you're AT work.  I thought that was common knowledge.  And yes, that was sarcasm.
It counts as work if you are working.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2006, 10:33:05 AM »
How?  Solely on the basis of how long we've had soldiers in country?  

Even with only a fraction of the casualties?  

Have any cities been fire-bombed or atom-bombed?

Wasn't poison gas used in WWII?  Has it been used in this war?

How many nations have been taken over, annexed or invaded by either side?  

Are any Americans out there collecting srap metal?  Are we rationing rubber?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 10:35:27 AM »
It ain't a Cheneylie that the Washington Establishment--both parties' leadership--kept talking about Saddam's WMDs and how they should be taken out.
I've been listening to some Henry Rollins (ex frontman for Black Flag, current Rollins Band head, actor, etc) "spoken word" albums lately, all recorded between 1996 and 2000.  In one, he spent several minutes talking about dealing with the crazies in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East, even mentioning Saddam's bio and chem weapons.   He even made comments about how it was a matter of time before "they" hit us big.  Kinda sad hearing something like this that so clearly showed how even liberal entertainers recognized the threat back then.

Chris

BayouBlogger

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 10:37:57 AM »
http://www.flashbunny.org/content/misled.html asks the question "So were they misleading America?"

Earth to Flashbunny: politicians lie routinely. Clinton lies every time he opens his mouth.  Bush probably does not lie as much only because he's too damn stupid to really have an appreciation of the truth.

I believe you are wrong.
Bush and Cheney made specific claims about Iraq's "reconstituted nuclear weapons program."  No such nulear program was found.  They made specific claims about Iraq's alleged "mobile bio-weapons labs."  Nonexistent BS dreamed up by an alcoholic named Curveball.  The CIA has already discounted the claims, but Cheney and Bush still went arund making rediculous claims.  There's a word for the act of making false claims with knowledge of their falsity or with wreckless disregard for the truth thereof.  It's called lying.

Garrot-fairies, since the post-war German resistance never existed (in the fevered revisionist histories* of some).
Argue with the official historians of the US Army who tell us that there was essentially no resistance to US occupation aside from a few incidents here and there.  According to former Ambassador James Dobbins and a team of RAND Corporation researchers, the total number of post-conflict American combat casualties in Germanyand Japan, Haiti, and the two Balkan caseswas ZERO.  As in ZIP, NADA, NONE, not a single case.

If there are any documented cases of American soldiers in Germany getting killed by Germans after the surrender, then you may provide evidence at this time.  Otherwise such bogus claims occupy the same Planet Neocon with Iraqi WMD, Saddam's support for Al Aqeda, Atta's meeting in prague, Saddam's purchase of Nigerian uranium, and any number of other inventions of the rich fantasy life of collective neocon imagination.   SS "Werewolven" are teh stuff of schlocky teen comic books.

Headless Thompson Gunner wrote:
One of the simplest ways of pegging someone as either liberal or conservative is to look at who they blame for a savage's savage behavior.
1. There's is nothing particularly "conservative" about the Bush Administration.

2. Taking Terror Seriously

At the time it was recognized that Saddam wasn't a very nice guy, but he seemed to be happy being in our diplomatic camp, and we were happy to have him.
Aawww.....happiness abounds.  You can just feel the love.....

Saddam's crimes in the 1980s were ignored by the same people who 20 years cite such crimes as a causus belli.