Author Topic: Albacore  (Read 1941 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Albacore
« on: August 16, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »
Going to make my 3rd attempt at albacore fishing this weekend 4th attempt at tuna if you count a yellowfin charter out of San Diego 12 years ago).  First albacore trip, that 41magsnub joined in on, was a near disaster.  Massively sea sick and 1 tuna split between 8 of us idiots.

Second albie trip was a last minute offer from BobR to tag along with a couple his friends.  Still got sea sick, but not as bad as the previous trip.  A bit better fishing with 11 tuna between 6 idiots.

This trip will involve 12 idiots, and 2 nights on the water.

Forecast is for decent enough seas, 3-5' swells with 1-2' wind waves, and 5-12kt winds.  I'll probably still chum the waters, but maybe, this time, I'll come home with a decent haul of meat.  I leave work at 11AM and will carpool with 3 co-workers and the wife of one of them.  Boat leaves ~7PM.  Should be back on terra firma around 3-4PM Sunday.

Hopefully I'll be able to post a report with pics early next week.
Formerly sumpnz

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Albacore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »
Albacore? You are an old fogey. It's all about the albaquadcore these days.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:38:11 AM »
From what the guy we used last year is saying, they are killing them this year. He has been doing 30-45 tuna per trip so far. Considering that is only about 9-10 of fishing, with 6 people, that is a pretty good haul. I just wish I could make it this year. Next year for sure! Good luck, and have fun.

bob
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:55:36 PM by BobR »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 05:16:18 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 07:42:10 AM »
I thought you meant this.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Albacore_(AGSS-569)

That one has been caught a long time. It is on display and tour in Portsmouth.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
Sea sick:

Bonine.  Take it the night before. Take it every how often is suggested on the package starting that morning.  Easy on what you eat and drink. Nothing greasy nothing acidic.
Bring crackers to nibble on if you're queasy. 
Ginger ale should be your drink of choice. 
Use two cups and pour it back and forth to get the carbonation out, then drink it flat.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
He actually does very well with his method, what I believe is a scopolamine patch, and what I know for sure is ginger gum. Thankfully, I have never had any issues with any kind of motion sickness.

bob

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »
So you're actually NOT doing this in your kayak ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
Boat leaves in a couple hours.  No, not the kayak.  Albacore are 30+ miles offshore.  Farther than I can paddle.

Switching to ginger pills.  Seems to work better than the gum.  Still rocking the Scop patch.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
30 miles is getting in kind of close, last year we were 60 miles out before we got into the tuna. I hope you have a great time and catch lots of fish.

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »
Good luck, just the smell of Tuna makes me  [barf] [barf] [barf]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 10:20:36 PM »
I wish I were going.  I do love me some tuna - raw or cooked rare.  It will probably be a couple years before I can go.

Let me be the first to say that you didn't go if there are no pics.  And you faked them in the desert in Arizona if we don't see fish.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »
Wish this was in the cards this year for me  =|  Er... maybe I don't wish for that.

Do I need to dig up that picture again?   =D

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 05:16:32 AM »
90 tuna total.  7 each for the 12 of us.  Crew took the extra six.  Pics later when I have time.  Amazingly I did not puke at all.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
That is a good haul. I should have gone with you!
 Congrats on keeping everything on the inside, in the inside.  ;)
bob

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
Pics?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 08:33:23 PM »
That is a helluva haul, sumpnz.  Color me green.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Went out on the Neddie Rose this past weekend in Westport for a 2 day albacore charter. 

TL;DR version - Great weather, decent catch, good times.

Long version - Went out to Westport with a few other guys from work and the wife of one of them on Friday (total the boat had 12 pax).  Cursed the traffic most of the way down, but still made it with half an hour to spare before check-in time.  It was warm and sunny, though fog rolled in about an hour before the boat left.

Motored out Friday night and started fishing at first light on Saturday morning.  Slow, slow, slow there at the start.  Took a while to even get the first fish, then it was just 1 fish here, 1 fish there.  So the capt decided to head south where most of the charter boats were at (about even with the Columbia, 40ish miles off shore).  My turn on the trolling rods resulted in a fish, but I don't think we got any on the bait stop attempt that time.  Didn't take too much longer though and we started getting a better bite.  Then we got a huge baitstop started.  It lasted 2.5 hours and put over 30 fish in the boat.  Unfortunately I saw none of that action.  Literally had the 2 guys on either side of me at one point hook up within 20 seconds of eachother, but not once did I get bit on that bait stop. 

Anyway, later in that day on another attempt at a bait stop I finally got bit.  I think that was the only live bait fish from that particular stop. 

A few more fish here and there, and several blue sharks, and then finally the sun went down and we were done for the day.  Most folks slept pretty well that night.  58 or 59 fish for the day.

Sunday before first light and one of the deck hands and a couple other guys got some bait in the water and before we knew they were yelling "FISH ON!".  That "bait-stop" yielded 2 more fish.  Then we got on the troll.  Fish here, fish there, one bait stop that brought in 6-8 fish, but not lighting the world on fire.  It was getting close to bingo time and we had 73 or 74 fish on board. 

Captain tried hard to find some more fish.  Thankfully, he did.  Even without a hit on the trolling rods we pulled up for a bait stop.  This was probably already after noon and normally he'd have started to head back to port by 10:30-11AM.  Anyway, that bait stop kept going until at least 1:30 and produced 16-17 additional tuna.  I got 2 of those, so I was stoked to finally be getting a good chunk of the action.  My last fish was kind of a weird one.  I knew my bait was probably almost if not totally dead, so decided to reel up.  Got just enough cranking in to take up the slack and BAM!  FISH ON!  Mofo seemed to think Japan was looking like a better place to be.  Took a crap load of line, probably 150+ yards at one point.  I just couldn't seem to gain hardly any line.  I'd get a few feet of line, and then he'd take it all back again and then some.  Finally was able to get him to start coming back towards the boat.  One he was within maybe 50 yards he suddenly popped up on the surface but with his tail facing me.  I think at that point he either died or was just too spent to fight anymore, so it was a fairly quick job to real him the rest of the way in.  Turns out the hook was in the tip of his nose rather than his mouth, and the line had wrapped around his tail.

Once that bait stop finally ended we had a grand total of 90 fish on the boat.  A ways short of the 120 the captain was targeting, but overall not too bad.  Weather was phenomenal.  Calm seas, light wind, and after some morning mists some good sunshine.  I even managed to not chum the whole time. 

Now to buy a pressure canner ...

Pics (to prove it happened):
Troll rod score.

Live bait catch.

Sunset on Saturday night.

Me actually not puking over the rail.

Packaged final result ready for the freezer.
Formerly sumpnz

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »
Damn that looks like a bad ass trip!
JD

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »
Niiice!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama