Author Topic: Best spy movies or other action films?  (Read 5944 times)

Levant

• friend
Best spy movies or other action films?
« on: August 18, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »
I watched the Bourne Legacy movies along with Taken and Taken II on DVD recently.  Since my wife and I aren't big on going to theaters I think I've missed a lot of good shoot-em-up movies.  I tend to think that many of us here might like the same genre, along with whatever else we might like so I think it would be fun to compile a list of the best movies along the same lines or similar to these two.  And then I can buy them from Amazon and have something to watch since 500 channels of satellite TV doesn't generally yield anything better than Raymond or Chopped.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Best spy movies or other action films?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
Man On Fire is a good one. The new Bond films with Daniel Craig are pretty good, less gadget and more action.  A lot more oike Ian Fleming wrote.  The "Justified" series from FX is a good shoot-em-up series, and available on disc.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
In like Flint and Our man Flint. True classics of the genre.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
I enjoyed Jack Reacher and most of the gun details were good.

Blood Diamond is my all time favorite.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:11:53 PM »
No one seems to like it but me, but I enjoyed the heck out of Battleship.  All the Avenger precursor movies are good, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »
Ronin

Payback - theatrical release

The Man With No Name trilogy, if you consider those action films.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »
Take a look at "Parker" with Jason Strathman. It's a little like "Payback", but serious.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:51:04 AM »
Killer Elite.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:59:20 AM »
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
Not exactly a "spy" movie, nor is it an action film, but The Day Of The Jackal is one of my favorite movies of all time.  
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »
In like Flint and Our man Flint. True classics of the genre.
Funny movies - in fact, I use the movie's ringtone for the President's phone on my cell.  ;)

Also in a similarly light vein, there was the series of Matt Helm movies starring Dean Martin in the title role - The Ambushers, The Silencers, The Wrecking Crew, and Murderer's Row.

In a more "serious" vein I can recommend the 1975 film Three Days of the Condor. If you stretch the undercover aspect a bit, Where Eagles Dare is pretty good.

Then there's always the old TV shows The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Danger Man, the latter a British show renamed Secret Agent for the US market, but they're much more low-key than a typical shoot-em-up.

For pure shoot-em-ups, without the spy angle, try Blackhawk Down, The Wild Bunch, We Were Soldiers, and of course, Zulu.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »
Tears of the Sun

I haven't seen the two Statham movies that were mentioned, but I have some advice on his films. Movies with Statham can be quite alright. Movies in which he is the central character tend to be just awful.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »
Tears of the Sun

I haven't seen the two Statham movies that were mentioned, but I have some advice on his films. Movies with Statham can be quite alright. Movies in which he is the central character tend to be just awful.

I could not watch Tears to completion, I thought it was that awful.

Ronin is likely the best of those already mentioned.

Justified teevee series is terrific.

Blood Diamond convinced me DiCaprio doesn't deserve to be stuffed in a sack and drowned like a litter of unwanted kittens.

Grimm teevee series is good, if you don't mind supernatural elements.

Man on Fire is a good movie.

The two Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes movies I thought particularly well done and got the character's action orientation closer to the books than the drawing-room-agatha-christie-in-drag way he has been played since the dawn of film. His mania is a little over the top, however.  And Watson is played like the veteran he was, not a doddering fool for comic relief.

I only saw a few minutes of Get the Gringo at a buddy's place, but I plan on watching the rest.

True Grit and Warhorse for action set in the past.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:42 AM »
Get the Gringo is good.  I hadn't heard of it before seeing it on Netflix.  I'm a big fan of Grimm as well.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »
How about The Eagle Has Landed ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:20 PM »
How about The Eagle Has Landed ?   =|

Absolutely. An all-time favorite.

I haven't seen Heat mentioned, an excellent action flick starring De Niro and Pacino, with particularly good weapons-handling detail.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
roo_ster's long post

Between Willis and Bellucci, I don't think I could have not liked Tears. Maybe I should watch it with more objective-ness.

I wanted to like the first Sherlock film, but it just fell flat. Not sure why, but it just wasn't very satisfying. The Watson character was pretty good, though.

Also, I like Way of the Gun. You can mute Sarah Silverman, in the first scene, if you can't tolerate her.

For a c-grade shoot-em-up with a fun soundtrack, Mean Guns.  =D

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »
Olympus Has Fallen is a good thriller/adventure that has just recently come out on DVD.  A retired Secret Service PPD agent finds himself trying to thwart an attack on the White House.
He wins of course but the White House really needs a good clean-up afterward! [popcorn] :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »
A retired Secret Service PPD agent finds himself trying to thwart an attack on the White House.

Why would you want to   ???   :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
Was that a snidly covert wham on the Obamster? [popcorn]

Obama isn't the prez in Olympus Has Fallen.
And in the movie you'd WANT to because the consequences for America don't end with a White House with burn marks on the portico. 
Watch the movie.  Find out.  I ain't sayin' more.  :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
I could not watch Tears to completion, I thought it was that awful.
That's exactly my reaction to the second Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movie, which didn't live up to the mediocrity of the first.

Get the Gringo was better than I expected.

For a c-grade shoot-em-up with a fun soundtrack, Mean Guns.  =D
In the category of fun grade-C movie shoot-em-ups, Dogs of War and Equilibrium, if only for the fictional martial art GunKata in the latter.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
I thought the second Sherlock Holmes was even better than the first, and I really liked the first one.

+1 for Mean Guns.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
While not what you asked for, and another thread entirely, probably, I have to recommend the British gangster movies ( layer cake, snatch, lock stock and two smoking barrels)

They are incredibly entertaining

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
While not what you asked for, and another thread entirely, probably, I have to recommend the British gangster movies ( layer cake, snatch, lock stock and two smoking barrels)

"Shotguns? You mean, like guns that fire shots?"

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »

"The f*ck is that? What the f*ck is that?"
"It's me Bren gun!"
"Don't you think you could've brought something more practical?"
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila