Author Topic: Oppose gun control? YOU'RE A CONFEDERATE!  (Read 22645 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Oppose gun control? YOU'RE A CONFEDERATE!
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »

The Emancipation Proclamation only covered those states in rebellion at that time.  The Thirteenth Amendment to cover all states what in process before the war ended.  

While Lee surrender on 9 Apr 1865 the last Confederate General did not surrender until 23 Jun 1865.  So slavery was only in effect for ~6months in the northern states for 6 months after the war ended.   

plus the entire length of "the war to end slavery"   that they continued for 6 months after the war much less made the emancipation proclamation exclude their own slaves was just the cherry on top of the hypocritical icing
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »

A good point, but some folks don't understand the context.

Pointing out that he disbanded the Klan isn't supposed to prove that he's MLK, people. It just means that the early NRA (being a Northern-based outfit, led by Union Army officers), was naturally opposed to the early Klan, which was mainly concerned with restoring Democrat Party control in the South.

Even the early Klan had a well established hatred for blacks, irregardless of their democratic leanings. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »
Even the early Klan had a well established hatred for blacks, irregardless of their democratic leanings. >:D
That is likely true, but it was freed slaves that were turning out to vote Republican so they were an obvious target anyway. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
IMO, pointing out inconvenient information about famous people is good.  Their is nothing inherently wrong about it.  It is the asshats who condemn heroes who are not perfect that are the idiots.  Nearly every heroic figure you can think of had their bad side or skeletons, just like everyone else. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »
That is likely true, but it was freed slaves that were turning out to vote Republican so they were an obvious target anyway. 
Also true.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »

So, you thought I was trying to say that the Klan was not racist?  ??? 

The point is, people misjudge history, and historical characters, if they just see everything in terms of the racial politics. The Klan was not just about racism. To say that Grant opposed the Klan is not to claim that he was a stalwart of racial equality.

This likewise applies to the issues of slavery and the Civil War.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:54:23 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »
I'm saying that if the War Between the States was really the noble effort to end slavery it's portrayed as, the North probably would have ended their own slavery too.

Oh, well I don't think the war was a "noble efffort to end slavery," or at least it didn't start out that way. Of course, some people saw it that way from the beginning. (I once came across something, I think it was an old newspaper from Colorado, in which young men enlisting for the Union Army spoke of wanting to go and fight to end slavery.)

Are you talking about slavery in border states, or was slavery legal in some of the actual Northern states? I don't recall the details on that. I seem to recall that it was practiced in Illinois, despite being outlawed. I'm not sure what Lincoln, or Congress, could have done about that.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:29:05 PM by fistful »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
Don't forget that Father Abraham Jesus Lincoln was an evil Republican  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »

So, you thought I was trying to say that the Klan was not racist?  ??? 

The point is, people misjudge history, and historical characters, if they just see everything in terms of the racial politics. The Klan was not just about racism. To say that Grant opposed the Klan is not to claim that he was a stalwart of racial equality.

This likewise applies to the issues of slavery and the Civil War.

I wasn't saying that at all.
In fact IIRC it was Nathan Bedford Forrest who was the original founder of the KKK.   While he really didn't intend it to be racist or even violent, the fact was it very quickly devolved from what he intended into exactly what it was; an organization intent upon the oppression of the newly freed Black population.
I believe Forrest tried to undue what he'd created but he couldn't get the proverbial toothpaste back into its tube; the deed was done. 
Try not to impute into my posts that which I do not directly state. =)

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »
Don't forget that Father Abraham Jesus Lincoln was an evil Republican  :facepalm:

Yeah but let's all be thankful he was not a RINO. [popcorn]

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2013, 11:21:56 PM »
Oh, well I don't think the war was a "noble efffort to end slavery," or at least it didn't start out that way. Of course, some people saw it that way from the beginning. (I once came across something, I think it was an old newspaper from Colorado, in which young men enlisting for the Union Army spoke of wanting to go and fight to end slavery.)

Are you talking about slavery in border states, or was slavery legal in some of the actual Northern states? I don't recall the details on that. I seem to recall that it was practiced in Illinois, despite being outlawed. I'm not sure what Lincoln, or Congress, could have done about that.

I believe it was either NY or MA that had the last remaining slave in the Union. And I'm more railing against the revisionist history that misrepresents the root cause of the war. While it may have been "slavery" it wasn't the practice of owning slaves that the North wished to end, but rather the economic power and autonomy that gave to the South.

And since Lincoln was more than happy to use troops against other citizens and suspend the parts of the Constitution he didn't like for "national security" I'd say he was a rather prototypical Republican.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 12:15:23 AM »
Try not to impute into my posts that which I do not directly state. =)

I didn't "directly state" that the Klan was race-neutral, but that seems to be how you were reading it. I was just trying to clear things up. It seems I failed, since I still don't know why you would respond that way.

I believe it was either NY or MA that had the last remaining slave in the Union. And I'm more railing against the revisionist history that misrepresents the root cause of the war. While it may have been "slavery" it wasn't the practice of owning slaves that the North wished to end, but rather the economic power and autonomy that gave to the South.

And since Lincoln was more than happy to use troops against other citizens and suspend the parts of the Constitution he didn't like for "national security" I'd say he was a rather prototypical Republican.

Again, how was Lincoln supposed to have freed slaves living in New York and Massachusetts? And how would Lincoln's abuses of power enter into it?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 12:20:38 AM »
I didn't "directly state" that the Klan was race-neutral, but that seems to be how you were reading it. I was just trying to clear things up. It seems I failed, since I still don't know why you would respond that way......

:facepalm:  This isn't going to go anywhere.   Forget it.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2013, 01:22:35 AM »
Again, how was Lincoln supposed to have freed slaves living in New York and Massachusetts? And how would Lincoln's abuses of power enter into it?

If he could start a damned war to end slavery in the south I'm confident he could have figured out a way to end the practice in his own states. If ending slavery was important enough to send federal troops to kill Southerners and shred the Constitution, why wasn't it important enough to do the same to Northerners?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 02:10:26 AM »
I'm no expert, but maybe you're overlooking the fact that no Northern states seceded, or tried to remove military installations from Lincoln's control?

Also, I seem to recall that the North had already found a way to end slavery. It was called gradual abolition. The South decided not to end it all.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »

Yeah, the spots haven't really changed.  The Republicans only started to look good when the Democrats became Communists  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
If he could start a damned war to end slavery in the south I'm confident he could have figured out a way to end the practice in his own states. If ending slavery was important enough to send federal troops to kill Southerners and shred the Constitution, why wasn't it important enough to do the same to Northerners?

Ummm

1)  Lincoln didn't start the Civil War.  Seven states seceded before he was even inaugurated on 4 March 1861. Even then hostilities didn't start until 12 Apr 1861, when Confederate Forces fired on Ft. Sumter.

2)  The initial objective was to preserve the Union, not free or end slavery.  Freeing slaves (not ending slavery) only became a war goal with the Emancipation Proclamation.  And let's take a look a that document.

The Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order issued by President Abraham Lincoln on January 1, 1863, as a war measure during the American Civil War, to all segments of the Executive branch (including the Army and Navy) of the United States. It proclaimed the freedom of slaves in the ten states that were still in rebellion, thus applying to 3.1 million of the 4 million slaves in the U.S. at the time. The Proclamation was based on the president's constitutional authority as commander in chief of the armed forces; it was not a law passed by Congress. The Proclamation also ordered that "suitable" persons among those freed could be enrolled into the paid service of United States' forces, and ordered the Union Army (and all segments of the Executive branch) to "recognize and maintain the freedom of" the ex-slaves. The Proclamation did not compensate the owners, did not itself outlaw slavery, and did not make the ex-slaves (called freedmen) citizens. It made the eradication of slavery an explicit war goal, in addition to the goal of reuniting the Union.

The ending of slavery, making of freedmen citizens, giving them voting (and other civil) rights only took place with the passage of the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments.

So to say the war was about slavery is to miss the point of the war.  It was in essence over state's rights.   Sadly the state's rights side lost simply because "the hill they staked their flag" (Slavery) on was and is morally repugnant.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:20:01 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

My wife makes cornbread in muffin tins.

Ummm

1)  Lincoln didn't start the Civil War.  Seven states succeeded before he was even inaugurated on 4 March 1861. Even then hostilities didn't start until 12 Apr 1861, when Confederate Forces fired on Ft. Sumter.

Ummmmmmm

"seceded"   :P

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2013, 02:46:11 PM »
to say the war was about slavery is to miss the point of the war.  It was in essence over state's rights.

Tax Rebellion  >:D

• friends
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »
so why were the other.9 mill slaves less deserving of freedom?  location?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »
so why were the other.9 mill slaves less deserving of freedom?  location?

Which slaves are you talking about, and who said they were less worthy of freedom?

• friends
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
Quote from: fistful link=topic=40829.msg830859#msg830859 date=1377[b
473626]
Which slaves are you talking about, and who said they were less worthy of freedom?

apparently abe

[/b]It proclaimed the freedom of slaves in the ten states that were still in rebellion, thus applying to 3.1 million of the 4 million slaves in the U.S. at the time.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »
apparently abe

[/b]It proclaimed the freedom of slaves in the ten states that were still in rebellion, thus applying to 3.1 million of the 4 million slaves in the U.S. at the time.

1. Not this stuff again.

2. No American president, not even Lincoln, had the sort of dictatorial powers to declare slavery illegal in states not in rebellion. The Proclamation was the act of a military commander, exercising authority over territory reclaimed from the enemy.

3. For Lincoln to try to free the slaves in loyal states would have been terrible strategy, as it would have softened their support for the Union.

This sort of criticism of the Emancipation Proclamation is a symptom of very poor education in our country. Shame on us.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:21:04 PM by fistful »

• friends
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
lincoln was not bound bt the powers he legally had in other areas    so it just wasn't "practical"?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 10:32:05 PM »
He fooled just enough of the people just enough of the time, right up until his last play.