Author Topic: Motorcycle (mechanical) expert opinions sought.  (Read 4087 times)

Lee

• friend
Motorcycle (mechanical) expert opinions sought.
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
Ran across this ad and was thinking about going to look at it, and possibly making an offer. I'm not much of a mechanic.  He says in the ad that it doesn't run well, and he doesn't know why.  It doesn't sound like there could be anything too seriously wrong with it.  He's moving in a few weeks and sounds motivated to sell.   The exhaust does look a little (smoky).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY_KwxiXq8k&feature=youtu.be

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Motorcycle (mechanical) expert opinions sought.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »
Too many possibilities withiut seeing the bike in person, but the first thing that jumps out is the cafe racer do-over and the total lack of air filters.  If the second is indicative of the owner's mechanical prowess then the first is likely a complete hack job. A decent looking hack job, but still a hack job. Form over function and all that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:49 AM »
Carburetors. Which, BTW, are not available, nor are parts.

A very good friend has two of those sitting in his garage. One was his father's (bought new and well-maintained), the other was given to him because ... it didn't run well. This friend is the shop foreman in a VW dealership and a top-flight technician. If he says it can't be fixed, you can take it to the bank.

Too bad, because they're beautiful bikes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:39:37 AM »
Something like that has likely been rode hard and put up wet more often than not. Unless you really want a frustrating, multi-year project I'd suggest letting it go.
You could easily put $3-5k into such a project and net yourself a bike with every bit of $2500.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »
Thanks very much  for the feedback. Ill probably pass on that one, but He lives close by, so I'll have a look at it. I'm going to take $1000 in cash and look at a half dozen old bikes this weekend.
I've really got a jones for a vintage two wheeler...not too particular on style...just to putz around on. 
The one I really have my eye on is a 1973 Elsinore 250 that is 90% restored. Motor just rebuilt, new seat, tires, brakes and fork seal seal replaced. The kid wants a quad instead...and wants to get some cash.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »
Where do you live? My SIL has a early 70's 175 Yamaha Enduro she's been trying to sell to me. Its been sitting in a shed for a few years and the mice have made short work of the seat. I did ride it 4 or so years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:46:17 AM »
I live by the adage "dont buy someone else's problem". It has served me very well.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »
I live by the adage "dont buy someone else's problem". It has served me very well.

I've repaired many a 2 cycle engine buying other people's problems really cheap. My main outboard on my boat was a $100 someone else's problem, $150 in parts and 2 hours of my time and it runs like a scalded ape.

Uranus is a gas giant.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
That smoke looked bluish , like oil smoke.....

I would not buy it, but your capacity for work may be way higher =D

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
I've repaired many a 2 cycle engine buying other people's problems really cheap. My main outboard on my boat was a $100 someone else's problem, $150 in parts and 2 hours of my time and it runs like a scalded ape.

Werd.

If its cool or turns your crank, its not about money.
If parts are 'impossible' to come by, you have to learn the skills to make or modify them yourself or seek out someone else with the skills. It all comes down to time, patience, money.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
Werd.

If its cool or turns your crank, its not about money.
If parts are 'impossible' to come by, you have to learn the skills to make or modify them yourself or seek out someone else with the skills. It all comes down to time, patience, money.

Yes, I don't buy any older engines unless there a ton of parts available as NOS, aftermarket or ebay is loaded with them. Learned my lesson with late 60's-early 70's Mercury twins, they changed drastically every 2-4 years, so many models were only made for 2 years.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
i JUST saw a cherry-looking 550 Four on the back of a truck the other day. Wonderful looking machines. The straight line from the tank through the seat and the "correct" rake just turns me on.

This was mine, before I found out I wasn't a mechanic. 1975 CB360.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
you want this bike!

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcd/4018281931.html

better get used to a right hand shift!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:45:45 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »
I'm in central Ohio.
I really want a Harley fat bob...but id have to sell my Jeep, and that isn't going to happen.
I'd nearly settle for a Honda CB70 right now.
A co worker wants to trade me his Cherry 1996 Yamaha Virago 750 for a couple of guns.
It's the sensible thing to do financially and I'm considering that- but i don't have any that I really want to turn loose of right now. My wife would prefer that option and only take my balls off and leave the rest.  At my age a bike has more appeal anyway though.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »
The terms "motorcycle" and "financially sensible" are mutually exclusive terms, they really, really do not go together. If you do use them together you are deluding yourself or trying to lie to your spouse.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I've been doing it for decades =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
True.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
I'm in central Ohio.
I really want a Harley fat bob...but id have to sell my Jeep, and that isn't going to happen.
I'd nearly settle for a Honda CB70 right now.
A co worker wants to trade me his Cherry 1996 Yamaha Virago 750 for a couple of guns.
It's the sensible thing to do financially and I'm considering that- but i don't have any that I really want to turn loose of right now. My wife would prefer that option and only take my balls off and leave the rest.  At my age a bike has more appeal anyway though.

If you wanting something similar to an HD, many of the early years of the Victory bikes (V92C) can be bought for under $5k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Victory-V92C-2001-victory-v-92-c-cruiser-great-condition-/300953432385?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item461238f141&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:53:32 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 08:34:37 PM »
Nice looking bikes.  This is on my bucket list though. Well...this and the motorcycle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3uBiqYZLlI

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 05:31:09 AM »
The terms "motorcycle" and "financially sensible" are mutually exclusive terms, they really, really do not go together. If you do use them together you are deluding yourself or trying to lie to your spouse.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I've been doing it for decades =D

A bike is much, much cheaper than a therapist.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »
That is true as well. I almost edited my reply to Larry to add that. :)

Charby- I did some reading about Victory, and looked at a lot of used ones online last night.
They are pretty impressive. Unfortunately my short term plan is to pay less than $1500 for something to have right now, and get a "real" bike a couple of years from now. I can't stretch my budget any further at the moment- two many irons in the fire.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
Looking at the video, it's kinda hard to say what it it, but that puff of smoke is less than encouraging.

Those carbs are not vacuum-regulated CV carbs, so absence of filters should not impact the running too much, if at all. However, if they are worn and have air and fuel leaks (internally, this won't show up as a puddle), that would be a problem. If they are just misadjusted, it's a weekend of screwing around. If not, it could be some months before you figure it out. Blue smoke usually means oil is burning, and the oil to burn can come from the valvetrain by way of worn valve seals and guides, or as blowby from worn rings and/or cylinders. Either one is a bunch of work.

I'm in my second year of trying to get a basket case XJ550 going...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Lee

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
Well...I don't have to worry about the Honda now.  My wife is soooo pissed. The Jeep might have to go.  I bought this today. Just like the top pic with the green tank.
http://gearpatrol.com/2013/06/10/behind-the-wheel-star-motorcycles-bolt-bolt-r-spec/

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
I won't bother asking how we went from spending 1500 on a used cycle to 8500 on a new motorcycle with questionable performance.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
Yeah....I wouldn't have a good answer for that one. And believe me...my mind went through at least a hundred reasons why on my way home.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »
Safety- it's all about safety! New bikes are way safer. and.....safer! Yeah, that's it!