Author Topic: Worried about passwords? Have no fear the US gov is here!  (Read 3331 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Worried about passwords? Have no fear the US gov is here!
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »
Yeah, you can trust them.

There is no way this works or won't be abused.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Worried about passwords? Have no fear the US gov is here!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »
Because other government issues ID numbers have proven to be so secure.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
Microsoft tried this awhile back... pimping their live/hotmail account as a global login service.

Facebook is sort-of contending for this as well.  Lots of sites piggyback authentication onto facebook accounts.  Big ones I see so far are newspaper comment sections, I haven't seen anything actually important using it so far.

I hate the notion of unified logins.  I just don't trust 'em.  Whether corporate or government.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »
The study said users are tired of all the requests for registration from Web sites. One report found that 77 percent of users change their behavior when asked to register online, with 60 percent leaving the site.

Could that be because users see no reason for registering?  Unless they want to sell me something, why does the local e-newspaper need to know who I am or what parts of the paper I look at?  If they want to count hits to decide to do away with a section they can do that without bringing me into the process.  I am not going to log on to an on-line retailer until I am at the point of purchasing something - they have no business knowing what I personally have been looking at before deciding to make my purchase.

I know the marketing arguments.  I do not accept them.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »
They could always pay me to follow me around.  Don't suppose anyone has entertained that suggestion.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »
I have well over ten different passwords and logins for different services. at least 6 of them are for my job.  The one thing they tell you not to do or at least avoid is using the same password for multiple things and don't write them down. It is annoying to have all these passwords jumbled in my head but having one password/login name to rule them all takes away your main form of redundancy. This just makes the haker's job that much easier when it comes to collecting all of your information. I don't believe anything is secure enough to leave with one key. Especially if that key is issued by the G man.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!