Author Topic: Nuke Reactors Closing  (Read 658 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Nuke Reactors Closing
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »
I knew several reactors across the country were having issues meeting all the ridiculous regulations, but this is the first I've heard of plants closing because they can't compete with alternative energy. I can buy the "can't afford to get up to environmental specs" argument, but barring environmental regulation costs, and not counting taxpayer subsidies for alternative energy, I find it hard to believe nuke can't compete with alternative energy, especially over the long haul.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/02/vermont-reactor-closing-signals-death-knoll-for-aging-nukes-what-replaces-them/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Nuke Reactors Closing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
Not hard. Refuse to let operators relatively easily update their equipment, and load them down with near impossible red tape. Then subsidize alt energy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:12:10 PM »
Not hard. Refuse to let operators relatively easily update their equipment, and load them down with near impossible red tape. Then subsidize alt energy.

Yeah, I should have more clearly stated that I can understand this happening in the current regulatory and environmental environment. Given a level playing field though, nuke should kick the butts of most other energy sources.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:29:26 PM »
Yep. Vermont Yankee is closing their plant. Came as a surprise to my friend who works there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
That plant is very old and has only reactor, making the overall cost of maintenance high.
I think it was built in 1972. There are only a few that old still operating.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods