Author Topic: Ariel Castro found dead in his cell  (Read 4838 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Ariel Castro found dead in his cell
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 04:58:23 AM »

[scratches head] Did this person tie their ankles and their neck to the same point? Or what?

With determination, you can lean into it.

Even in well thought out isolation cells that have solid doors instead of bars, a toilet/sink combo that relies on pushbuttons instead of handles/levers, and lighting fixtures and sprinkler heads designed to break away at something just just barely above a slight breeze, there are places you can hook a rope to.

Or, as you might have unknowingly suggested, hogtieing oneself can be a (pardon the pun) viable option.

Constant video monitoring only helps if someone actually watches the video.  5-minute suicide checks are about three minutes too long, considering how long it will take to assemble the staff necesssary to go into the cell.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 06:56:27 AM »

[scratches head] Did this person tie their ankles and their neck to the same point? Or what?

Saw a young woman in court custody take her bra, get it caught up in the bench in the holding cell, tie the other end around her neck, and laid under the bench.  Managed to cut off her air supply enough to pass out.  In enough time (she was found in about 5minutes), shè might have managed it.

On the bad news front, sounds like his family found an ambulance chaser, and they're making noise about suing..,
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:29 AM »
Saw a young woman in court custody take her bra, get it caught up in the bench in the holding cell, tie the other end around her neck, and laid under the bench.  Managed to cut off her air supply enough to pass out.  In enough time (she was found in about 5minutes), shè might have managed it.

On the bad news front, sounds like his family found an ambulance chaser, and they're making noise about suing..,

I think the blood supply gets reduced enough to pass out before ever going into distress over not breathing.

So it's really not at all that hard to do.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 10:11:18 AM »
I think this should be tossed up here...

Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
I think the blood supply gets reduced enough to pass out before ever going into distress over not breathing.

So it's really not at all that hard to do.

Yep.  Lack of oxygen does not cause the body to freak out and go for air.  It's the build up of carbonic acid in the blood stream from too much C02 in you.  Cut the blood to the brain and you'll pass out before you freak out and go into survival mode.

Had a cousin die from hanging with her butt 6" off the floor.  Uncommon sexual activity may or may not have been involved.  Probably was.  Nobody knows if there was a second person present. Never will.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Ariel Castro found dead in his cell
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 12:15:03 AM »
Speaking from experience, I kinda suspect he didn't really hang himself.
I also believe "nobody saw nuthin'."

Not any experience, just cold logic told me this.

He plea bargains to avoid the death penalty and then kills himself within a month?

I find that unlikely.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 12:20:32 AM »

This would be the same family that said -- in public and for the record -- that he was an evil person and they wanted nothing to do with him? THAT family?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 12:38:43 AM »
A great loss to humanity.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 09:50:52 AM »
This would be the same family that said -- in public and for the record -- that he was an evil person and they wanted nothing to do with him? THAT family?

Its the principle of the thing.   ;)
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »
Its the principle of the thing.   ;)

Nah, it's SHOW ME THE MONEY time!
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
Nah, it's SHOW ME THE MONEY time!

"I might be able to get some money I didn't earn" is about the most principled many people get.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
Maybe someone was thinking of the taxpayers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.