Author Topic: Handy tip for you bicycle types.  (Read 11557 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Handy tip for you bicycle types.
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Gettin' there.  

A decent commuter bike that fits me, with a Brooks wide leather saddle.

You can buy a Brooks saddle and put it on any bike.  Expensive, but they're available.  My Surly LHT has a Brooks.  My fixed gear bike had one as well.  I kept the saddle when I sold the bike (had a throwaway on it when it sold). There are a few other brands that are nearly identical (Velo Orange for example).

Usually, when someone says they can't find a bike that fits them or that they like, it really means they don't want to pay much for a bike.  There are so many types and brands (or makers), bare frames, complete bikes, etc, anyone can find a bike.  The only question is price.

Get a Surly LHT, throw a set of these bars and this Brooks-like saddle and you'll be close.  Add a basket and you're set.

Or, go full retard with a Rivendell Atlantis.  However, a Surly LHT with the right upgrades is most of what an Atlantis is for a fraction of the price.

There's always a full tilt Rivendell Sam Hillbourne if you want to save a few bucks over the Atlantis:

Chris
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:29:28 PM by mtnbkr »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
Gettin' there. 

A decent commuter bike that fits me, with a Brooks wide leather saddle.

I'm doing the same, but more of a "tripping/commuting/rail trail bike" and a saddle that fits me. My current bike is an old Trek 820 w/ 21" frame, I'd probably do better with a 18-19" frame. 

I tried a wide saddle for 150 miles, didn't work for me. I have ~30 miles on a narrower saddle, as long as I wear padded shorts it seems to be working out for me, ask me again in 100 miles.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »
I tried a wide saddle for 150 miles, didn't work for me. I have ~30 miles on a narrower saddle, as long as I wear padded shorts it seems to be working out for me, ask me again in 100 miles.

Wide saddles rub and are only suitable for short distance riding.  Toughen your taint and you won't need a cushy seat.  I've done 117 miles in a day on a Brooks.  I couldn't do it now, but at that time, I was riding 80-100 miles a week and frequently doing 50+ miles at a time.  My butt wasn't the slightest bit sore at the end of that day.

After 5,000 miles, I did have to lace my Brooks to keep it from sagging too much and to keep the sides from flaring.  It rides much better now.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:08 PM »

There's always a full tilt Rivendell Sam Hillbourne if you want to save a few bucks over the Atlantis:

Chris

Where is the drool emoticon when you need one. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
Toughen your taint and you won't need a cushy seat.  Chris

Working on it. The male gender specific saddle has been a lot better than the wide granny saddle I did have.

Plus I am liking padded biking shorts, seems take care of the friction problem.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »
Yeah, it just takes miles.  Check out some chamois cream, it may help with the friction issue. I've never felt a need for it, but some of the folks I ride with swear by it.

Some good reviews here: http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/06/chamois-creams-comparative-review.html

As for the bike above, yeah, it's a beaut.  Rivendell caters to a very specific cycling philosophy not addressed by the big companies.  I hate to say it, while pretty, their bikes aren't all that special.  Yes, they can be built into something special for those not attracted to all things racing, but there are less expensive options out there.  Velo Orange is a relative newcomer that offers some nice frames for a fraction of a Rivendell.  A person can build a Surly or Soma in a Rivendell-esque fashion.  IIRC, Grant Peterson (HMFIC at Rivendell) even said the Surly LHT was a good substitute for the Atlantis for those on a budget.  Still, the lugs and artistry of his bikes is special.  I've seen a few in this area and they're just as nice in person.  They look even better with few thousand hard miles on them. 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 09:48:22 PM »
Yeah, it just takes miles.  Check out some chamois cream, it may help with the friction issue. I've never felt a need for it, but some of the folks I ride with swear by it.

Some good reviews here: http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/06/chamois-creams-comparative-review.html

As for the bike above, yeah, it's a beaut.  Rivendell caters to a very specific cycling philosophy not addressed by the big companies.  I hate to say it, while pretty, their bikes aren't all that special.  Yes, they can be built into something special for those not attracted to all things racing, but there are less expensive options out there.  Velo Orange is a relative newcomer that offers some nice frames for a fraction of a Rivendell.  A person can build a Surly or Soma in a Rivendell-esque fashion.  IIRC, Grant Peterson (HMFIC at Rivendell) even said the Surly LHT was a good substitute for the Atlantis for those on a budget.  Still, the lugs and artistry of his bikes is special.  I've seen a few in this area and they're just as nice in person.  They look even better with few thousand hard miles on them.  

Chris

There was a Surly LHT on MN/SP craigslist a few weeks ago that looked like the bike you posted above and for around $900 IRC, if I wouldn't of been in the dog house with Mrs Charby, I would have been all over it. Some guy built it to resemble a late 1950's early 1960's Schwinn cruiser, it was sweet!

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »
What is funny is some of the guys and gals I ride with after our last outing were all talking about how we each needed to build a bike like PeeWee Herman's.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:58 PM »
I've been tempted to build something like that as well, I just don't have room for it.

I had a 60s vintage Raleigh Sports 3spd for a while, but it was a bit too small for me and the space issue was still there.  It was similar to this, but not as shiny.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 10:16:36 PM »
I've been tempted to build something like that as well, I just don't have room for it.

I had a 60s vintage Raleigh Sports 3spd for a while, but it was a bit too small for me and the space issue was still there.  It was similar to this, but not as shiny.

Chris

<sigh>.

I passed up one of those about 15 years ago, because I couldn't see spending $75 for a garage sale bike.  Regretted it ever since.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
You can buy a Brooks saddle and put it on any bike.  Expensive, but they're available.  My Surly LHT has a Brooks.  My fixed gear bike had one as well.  I kept the saddle when I sold the bike (had a throwaway on it when it sold). There are a few other brands that are nearly identical (Velo Orange for example).

Usually, when someone says they can't find a bike that fits them or that they like, it really means they don't want to pay much for a bike.

...The only question is price.

I'm cheap, I admit it.  Lots of stuff is ahead of dealing with the bike.

My good bike (an old Schwinn Voyageur touring bike set up with flat handlebars) is sick.  It needs a wheel and freewheel.  And probably a chain.  And, since the rail on my old Avocet saddle broke, a new saddle.  Hence my grousing about wanting a saddle that once was readily available, but now seems to be a luxury item.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 10:20:16 AM »
Brooks are not readily available at your LBS, but are available online.  They aren't cheap either.  I bought mine 6 years ago when they were significantly cheaper (but still not "cheap").  I wouldn't by a Brooks at today's prices.  I'd go for the Velo-Orange copy instead.

Wheels are available.  If you know what you need, then getting one online is a good option.  You'll need a chain if your bike is more than a year old. 

I know what you mean by priorities.  Good bikes (ie not dept store) aren't cheap, but will last decades if cared for.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
I swear by this stuff.  Pervasive enough on a long ride.  Also if you get a saddle sore it will clear it right up.
http://www.amazon.com/Bag-Balm-BAG-BALM-OZ/dp/B0018SBP4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379601792&sr=8-2&keywords=bag+balm
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I swear by this stuff.  Pervasive enough on a long ride.  Also if you get a saddle sore it will clear it right up.
http://www.amazon.com/Bag-Balm-BAG-BALM-OZ/dp/B0018SBP4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379601792&sr=8-2&keywords=bag+balm

Good stuff, I use it on my dog when his face is rubbed raw from bird hunting.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »
Good stuff, I use it on my dog when his face is rubbed raw from bird hunting.

Yep I've used it on cracked and bleeding dog paws before.  She hates keeping a bandage or sock on though!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
I've got a classic Schwinn coaster hanging in my mom's garage.

The rear hub needs replacing/rebuilding because "some kid" used to slam on the brakes too hard and too often  ;/

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »

My good bike (an old Schwinn Voyageur touring bike set up with flat handlebars) is sick.  It needs a wheel and freewheel.  And probably a chain.  And, since the rail on my old Avocet saddle broke, a new saddle.  Hence my grousing about wanting a saddle that once was readily available, but now seems to be a luxury item.

you are going to need chainrings then

that sounds like 124-229 dollars of repairs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Men-s-Xcom-Road-Bike/21699109

http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwinn-Fifth-Avenue-Men-s-Hybrid-Bike/21191095
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:51:45 AM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »

that sounds like 124-229 dollars of repairs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Men-s-Xcom-Road-Bike/21699109

http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwinn-Fifth-Avenue-Men-s-Hybrid-Bike/21191095

Friends don't let friends buy adult bikes at Wal-Mart, kind of like the tent rule you know.  ;)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2013, 11:05:25 AM »
Friends don't let friends buy adult bikes at Wal-Mart, kind of like the tent rule you know.  ;)

Worse than the tent rule.  Because walmart bikes are assembled in store by walmart employees.  This could injure or kill you.
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »

Maybe.  I've not had a problem keeping a single set of chainrings through multiple chain and cogset replacements, especially if the rings are steel.  It depends on the mileage and actual wear.  I'd do the cogs and chain first and wait on the rings if money is tight. 

I recommend a chain with new cogs mainly because the two really wear in together and a mismatched set will cause shifting and other issues.  I've not seen the same effects on the front rings except in very worn rings.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
Worse than the tent rule.  Because walmart bikes are assembled in store by walmart employees.  This could injure or kill you.

I've seen forks on backwards, bar ends installed in all sorts of bizarre positions (how about pointing back at the rider?), etc without even getting into just plain old maladjustment.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
old Schwinn Voyageurs were old in 1985

a Rivendell would be nicer than drop shipping a Mongoose to your local walmart for your assembly
but the Brooks seat costs more than 124 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Xcom-700c-Bike-Blue/dp/B0085WB0EU
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 01:25:18 PM »
There are options in between the two extremes. :)

If there's an REI nearby, they have some nice bikes under their Novara house brand.  There will be sales and a 20% off coupon this Spring...

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
my favorite option is craigslisting something for 120 bucks, but the bigboxbikes of today are not the sears freespirits of 1979

The Kent Genesis 29er for 220 bucks is a heck of a deal for a commuter mountain bike

I bought 2 for my highschool kids to ride.
It has a shimano altus grupo and they have survived 2 years of riding rather well.

Sure its no Klein, but the aluminum welds are solid and they stole the geometry from something reasonable.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »
old Schwinn Voyageurs were old in 1985

This thing, and not that, that, "thing".  (They pasted the name onto a bike suitable for president mom-jeans.)

I don't know how old mine is.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was 30 years old.  IT came with old tech -- Suntour derailleurs,  originally had bar end shifters.  27x1.25 wheels.  Cantilever brakes.  A touring bike of it's time.  Everything except the rear wheel and seat are in fine shape.

It originally came, BTW, with a 40 spoke rear wheel.  Try and find one of them now!  (I tried, after pretzeling that wheel.)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:24:49 PM by lee n. field »