Author Topic: Mumbai-style attack in Nairobi  (Read 6952 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Mumbai-style attack in Nairobi
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »
These are extremely graphic and sad. I find them to be motivating to brush up my marksmanship and other survival skills against the day the violence is attempted upon me or my family.

http://totallycoolpix.com/2013/09/graphic-the-west.....

They certainly are BOTH graphic & sad ... I'd say tragic.   
Be armed but you better have a plan to get you and yours OUT... one person going up against organized (and these terrorists seemed very well organized) is surely a no-win scenario.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
Be armed but you better have a plan to get you and yours OUT... one person going up against organized (and these terrorists seemed very well organized) is surely a no-win scenario.

I am thankful to say that if something like this was attempted in my local mall it could be stopped or at least diminished by the presence of armed citizens.

I expect once all the debriefings are done on the Kenya murders we will have a better idea of the MO of these savages.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
I am thankful to say that if something like this was attempted in my local mall it could be stopped or at least diminished by the presence of armed citizens.

I expect once all the debriefings are done on the Kenya murders we will have a better idea of the MO of these savages.

While I am VERY pro 2A I have the unfortunate belief that it is more likely that terrorists would plan something like this in places like Washington D.C., or New York City.  That is someplace where the prevailing "ethic" is antigun and it would be most likely there would be no CCW owners and only armed police/security who wear pressed and dressed "bull's-eyes" -- ie., uniforms.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
While I am VERY pro 2A I have the unfortunate belief that it is more likely that terrorists would plan something like this in places like Washington D.C., or New York City.  That is someplace where the prevailing "ethic" is antigun and it would be most likely there would be no CCW owners and only armed police/security who wear pressed and dressed "bull's-eyes" -- ie., uniforms.

i wish i could disagree   but i fear greatly you are right  though they better stay north and west of the capital in dc or they might get a surprise
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »

Here's the thing - if I am with "mine" then my priority is to get me and them out and away, not to engage the shooter(s).  The rest of the washed and unwashed masses are on their own until, at the very least, "mine" are out of physical harm's way and have had at least initial dealings with the hysteria/shock/outrage/blood lust that finding ourselves in such a situation might engender.

Fair warning - the next person who suggests that because I carry (at least one) a firearm I am a "Sheepdog" will find themselves in need of an Animal Control Officer to fill out the report made necessary by my response to them having said that.  Shots for rabies, distemper, mad cow disease and a high-grade systemic antobiotic might all be in order as well.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
you guys see the woman the kenyans are looking for?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430201/Kenyan-Mall-Massacre-Off-duty-SAS-soldier-handgun-saved-100-lives.html

I had wondered about the white guy with a gun in the original round of pictures.

That guy is a hero.  H.E.R.O.

I wonder what Obama's dad would have to say about him?

ETA:  Skid, suggesting the SAS guy is a hero for repeatedly saving innocents in this situation in no way implies that you (or I or anyone else) have any obligation to mimic his actions.  That's some above and beyond stuff and something that were it to happen here in the US in lay life, is grounds for conferring the Presidential Medal of Freedom upon a person.  Heck, this might even still stand for grounds for this gentleman.  I hope the Queen knights him for this or something.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:54:24 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
Sorry to disagree, but the current mess, they guy would probably be charged with illegal carry or something.

About the only action that would confer  praise on an armed individual citizen would be saving a politician or a cop.

The lousy bastards did not even confer an award on the hero's on flight 93, who probably saved a bunch of them.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »
AZRedhawk44 -

I agree with you completely.  Doing something like that in lay life is grounds for a Presidential Medal of Freedom - so long as all the proper permissions were obtained in advance.

Elsewise, it's grounds for some other sort of "award".

And BTW, if I knew where to send it, I'd put a pallet of his favorite beer on a FedEx International flight and pay the extra to make sure it arrived warm the way the Brits like it.  He clanks so loudly that CDC recommends earplugs if within three blocks of where he is walking.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »
I like to think that, were I in a position to engage appropriately, I would act in such a situation. I'm not married, have no children, and I believe the people who might miss me would understand. I also feel that, if we hope/want to reverse the nanny state trend, citizens need to demonstrate that action is possible before state authority intervention.

All of that said, I will not judge or fault anyone whose obligations preclude the same philosophy. Honoring one's commitments is, in my opinion, the finest and most important demonstration of humane behavior, with its own heroism.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
The latest from the "news" is that the victims were horrifically  tortured- true? who knows.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
The latest from the "news" is that the victims were horrifically  tortured- true? who knows.

It is definately possible, though it should also be pointed out that the torture claims emerged on the same day that at least one Kenyan official admitted that the collapse of part of the mall was due to some Kenyan soldiers hitting one of the supporting columns with an RPG.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/27/kenya-military-westgate-mall
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
The pic of the dead couple, with the man's arm over the woman, moved me deeply.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.