Author Topic: Why stupid and boorish things are popular.  (Read 2364 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Why stupid and boorish things are popular.
« on: September 22, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »

And by "stupid and boorish," I am not referring to myself. The following is excerpted from Hayek's The Road to Serfdom, from the chapter entitled, "Why the Worst Get on Top." I think it explains everything from the Democratic Party to reality television. Enjoy. If you can.

There are three main reasons why such a numerous and strong group with fairly homogenous views [the totalitarian political party] is not likely to be formed by the best but rather by the worst elements of any society. By our standards the principles on which such a group would be selected will be almost entirely negative.

In the first instance, it is probably true that, in general, the higher the education and intelligence of individuals become, the more their views and tastes are differentiated and the less likely they are to agree on a particular hierarchy of values. It is a corollary of this that if we wish to find a high degree of uniformity and similarity of outlook, we have to descend to the regions of lower moral and intellectual standards where the more primitive and "common" instincts and tastes prevail. This does not mean that the majority of people have low moral standards; it merely means that the largest group of people whose values are very similar are the people with low standards. It is, as it were, the lowest common denominator which unites the largest number of people. If a numerous group is needed, strong enough to impose their views on the values of life on all the rest, it will never be those with highly differentiated and developed tastes - it will be those who form the "mass" in the derogatory sense of the term, the least original and independent, who will be able to put the weight of their numbers behind their particular ideals.

If, however, a political dictator had to rely entirely on those whose uncomplicated and primitive instincts happen to be very similar, their number would scarcely give sufficient weight to their endeavors. He will have to increase their numbers by converting more to the same simple creed.

Here comes in the second negative principle of selection: he will be able to obtain the support of all the docile and gullible, who have no strong convictions of their own but are prepared to accept a read-made system of values if it is only drummed into their ears sufficiently loudly and frequently. It will be those whose vague and imperfectly formed ideas are easily swayed and whose passions and emotions are readily aroused who will thus swell the ranks of the totalitarian party.

It is in connection with the deliberate effort of the skillful demagogue to wield together a closely coherent and homogeneous body of supporters that the third and perhaps most important negative element of selection enters.  It seems to be almost a law of human nature that it is easier for people to agree of a negative program--on the hatred of an enemy, on the envy of those better off--than on any positive task.  The contrast between the "we" and the "they," the common fight against those outside the group, seems to be an essential ingredient in any creed which will solidly knit together a group for common action.  It is consequently always employed by those who seek, not merely support of a policy, but the unreserved allegiance of huge masses.  From their point of view it has the great advantage of leaving them great freedom of action than almost any positive program.  The enemy, whether it be internal, like the "Jew" or the "kulak," or the external, seems to be an indispensable requisite in the armory of a totalitarian leader.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
Re: Why stupid and boorish things are popular.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:57:59 PM »
He will have to increase their numbers by converting more to the same simple creed.

Here comes in the second negative principle of selection: he will be able to obtain the support of all the docile and gullible, who have no strong convictions of their own but are prepared to accept a read-made system of values if it is only drummed into their ears sufficiently loudly and frequently. It will be those whose vague and imperfectly formed ideas are easily swayed and whose passions and emotions are readily aroused who will thus swell the ranks of the totalitarian party.

YES WE CAN!
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:44:21 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if I should stop being so vague. Although, I think I was kinda obvious about it on a few occasions, but only obvious enough for somebody familiar with the country in question. I doubt anyone reading this would feel anything but confused, though. >:D >:D

Welcome!  Seldom do we read such articulate, yet highly vague, assertions of ambiguity.  My hat is off to you and the rest of the citizens of your confusing country.

Huzzah! (obviously)

eta: And yes, you are Fistful's fault.  (obviously)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:49:18 AM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »
Welcome!  Seldom do we read such articulate, yet highly vague, assertions of ambiguity.  My hat is off to you and the rest of the citizens of your confusing country.

Huzzah! (obviously) (obliviously)

eta: And yes, you are Fistful's fault.  (obviously)

FIFY

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
@ Sergeant Bob

Ya know, your avatar reminds me of Physical Graffiti.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
@ Sergeant Bob

Ya know, your avatar reminds me of Physical Graffiti.

I'll bet that's because it is Physical Graffiti! =D  One of Zep's best!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 01:45:49 PM »
I'll bet that's because it is Physical Graffiti! =D  One of Zep's best!

Boogie with Stu, dudes!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »
Mmmm. Custard Pie.

With bourbon or rum sauce, for relevance.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
YES WE CAN!

HOPE !!!!

CHANGE !!!

FORWARD !!!

Seig Heil !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 01:03:48 AM »
Boogie with Stu, dudes!

Excellent! Also, Trampled Under foot!