Author Topic: Lawn mower advice please  (Read 7673 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 07:57:27 AM »
mtnbkr,

I used one as a teenager, but the yards I mowed were very putting-greenish, so that's probably why I didn't mind.

I've always thought someone should make small (12" cut) self-propelled remote-controlled lawn mowers.  You could market them with snap-on plastic shells to make them look like the vehicle of your choice.  The NASCAR crowd would eat it up.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

grampster

• friend
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005, 06:17:25 PM »
I rescind my former recomendation and defer to Mr. Wildstillnopicofthepinkhighheelsforthcomingalaska.cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2005, 08:02:55 PM »
I still haven't figured out why those old fashion manpowered lawnmowers are so expensive.
Am I missing something?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2005, 08:43:48 PM »
Pave it and paint it green.  You'll be more pleased with the results. You could 'mow' it with a leaf blower.

Regards
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

mack

• Yeah...that's me...
    • IllinoisCarry
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 06:42:28 AM »
Oleg, sounds like manual labor to me....hire a nice kid in the neighborhood to cut the grass.....mack
"The defense of our liberties is first at the ballot box, then the soap box, then the jury box and failing all else, the cartridge box"

Stickjockey

• friend
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2005, 10:42:20 AM »
You can get them for about $100 at Lowes.
Let me check, but I think I've got one I'll send you for $50.00 and shipping.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Greg Levy

Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2005, 02:40:27 PM »
Quote from: Waitone
Goats, think goats.
Hmm...I was thinking it was time for kids, myself.

On the idea of a Push Reel Mower...I bought one because most of my yard is trees and shrub, with only a 15 X 20 foot section of grass.  I HATE IT!!!!  It works good, until I find a pine cone or a small tree branch.  Anything other than grass, and it stops like you hit a brick wall.  Nothing like having to rake BEFORE and AFTER you mow.  

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought something else...

Quote from: Stickjockey
You can get them for about $100 at Lowes.
Let me check, but I think I've got one I'll send you for $50.00 and shipping.
Heck..I've got one just for the cost of shipping.  Then I can tell the wife it was stolen, and get something better.

greg

mtnbkr

• friend
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2005, 06:02:00 AM »
heh.  When I sold my reel mower at a yard sale last year, the guy that bought it lived across the street.  He had just moved in and the grass was rather tall (it was mid spring).  I was mildly amused by the guy trying to cut grass that would choke a gas mower with this reel mower.  Needless to say, I never saw him use it again.

Chris

mfree

• friend
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 06:19:29 AM »
This raises a good point.... the grass in my backyard is *extremely* tall, and all I've got is a piddly 3hp push mower with rusty blades. I don't own any more yard equipment than that (seems to be just fine for the front 1/4 acre). So, I'm in the market for something cheap that'll handle it this once and be useful on down the line in other pursuits.

What's the ramifications of getting a little tiller and just chopping it all under and starting from scratch with clover? If it's too bad I'll just spend a day out there with an electric string trimmer and a rake...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 06:48:50 AM »
Quote from: mfree
What's the ramifications of getting a little tiller and just chopping it all under and starting from scratch with clover? If it's too bad I'll just spend a day out there with an electric string trimmer and a rake...
Pissed off neighbors and rabbits eating and breeding like crazy in your yard.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 06:51:36 AM »
I'd sharpen the blad on that mower, set it at max height, and take it slow.  After the first pass, cut only half width "rows" and take it slow.  Once you get one cut, rake, then mow again on a lower setting.  By this point, you can take larger "bites" and move faster.

I had to do this the other day with my electric mower.  I have a much smaller yard though.

Tilling it under and starting over might work, but it may also open your lawn up for a weed invasion.  As long as you keep a nice thick carpet of grass, it's hard for weeds to get a foothold, but by tilling it, you'll open it up for every weed seed dropped by the breeze, birds, or animals.  I had no weeds at all in my front yard until a drought and my laziness let a large thin patch appear (lawn pattern baldness?).  From there on, it's been a battle to keep weeds out.  I'm almost back to my previous state, but it's taken a lot of chemicals and manual weeding.

Chris

mike

Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2005, 07:03:44 AM »
"think" Artifical turf!:o

mfree

• friend
Lawn mower advice please
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2005, 10:46:24 AM »
I managed to get it all lashed down with the little 3.5 horse mower, but the back yard looks nasty... like a lawn full of standing green straws, due to the thickness of the grass stems. Will it recover?

Will I care? :-D

Only thing I really care about now is that the lawns are growing past what I consider regular cutting length in *4 days*.... what the heck kind of grass is this!