Author Topic: White families deserve the crime section 8 housing brings with them  (Read 7612 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: White families deserve the crime section 8 housing brings with them
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »

I do love how the author, and others, basically assumed it was automatically talking about blacks. Plenty of whites, Latinos, Asians, etc are in Section 8 housing as well.

Around here, the problem is quite simple. If the folks who give a *expletive deleted*it leave and only people who don't give a *expletive deleted*it stay, you end up with a spreading problem. Part of Lancaster, PA turned ghetto from a single Section 8 housing project. Folks moved away from Water St, which made buildings nearby cheap, which Section 8 tenants moved into. Folks near the former projects tenants moved out. Repeat. It spread. You can see amazing old buildings in sections of Lancaster that look like they were shelled and then inhabited by refugees. Same thing happened in Coatesville. Near the entire town moved out, except for people that couldn't afford to do so.

That is how middle class Americans deal with crime and poverty, they move away from it. That is why property, class and culture become so linked to geographical zones.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 10:12:14 AM »
I do love how the author, and others, basically assumed it was automatically talking about blacks. Plenty of whites, Latinos, Asians, etc are in Section 8 housing as well.

I had some Section 8 tenants when I first got into residential rentals (a couple of them came with the rentals). I stopped doing Section 8 early on for a lot of reasons. While I had a a few good tenants (a couple of elderly ladies and a single mother and child), the couple with a kid and the couple with no kids were worthless. Interestingly, all five tenants were white. I think the author is maybe a little racist.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
My wife's elementary school has some Section 8 housing within the school boundaries.  Consistent with the population of our county, the overwhelming majority of the Section 8 housing residents are white, with Hispanic a distant second. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
My wife's elementary school has some Section 8 housing within the school boundaries.  Consistent with the population of our county, the overwhelming majority of the Section 8 housing residents are white, with Hispanic a distant second. 

Also, my white Section 8 tenants were in an area of CA that's 50% Hispanic / 50% white, so she should stick that into her demographics.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »
If it weren't for white civilized people, most of these people would be: living in places where people still defecated in the drinking water, having a life expectancy of about 35, having high infant mortality rates, engaging in constant tribal warfare.

FTFY

Skin color has little to do with barbaric behavior. Lack of education is the primary culprit compounded by greed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
at one point managed 40 rentals scattered around mannassas. about 1/2 section 8. i had more trouble from the "regular " tenants than the section 8 folks. and ironically the only folks i ever had to take to court to get em to go were white.
i wonder whats the articles authors experience was  if any
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »
That is how middle class Americans deal with crime and poverty, they move away from it. That is why property, class and culture become so linked to geographical zones.

Which is why the Left loves Section 8: they can target it at folks they hate who already un-azzed the AO.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 02:19:10 PM »
I'm sure she doesn't live in a ghetto neighborhood where they plunk Section 8 housing.

Here's where she started to lose me (other than her opening paragraph, of course):

I can’t deny that that’s a real phenomenon. While I don’t think Section 8 tenants can be blamed on the whole, I think there’s real evidence that one unintended consequence of the Section 8 housing program is moving crime and disorder to new places as families try to break the cycle of poverty.

I once worked for a public housing agency in a medium-sized city. Our agency had (at the time I was there) about 3500 government-owned units that we rented out, (mis)managed, and (mal)maintained. We also administered the Section 8 program, but I wasn't involved in that so I have no idea how many units fell under Section 8.

What I DO know is that there were no public housing residents, in our units or in Section 8, who were trying to "break the cycle of poverty." Au contraire, we were dealing with third and fourth generation public housing residents -- and this was 30 years ago. They didn't want to break the cycle of poverty, they wanted to perpetuate it. To them it was a gravy train.

And, at least in this city, nothing has changed (for the better) in the ensuing 30 years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
Section 8, at least in CA, is not limited to the "bad parts" of town. It is often right in the middle of "two kids and two cars" suburbia, likely due to higher housing costs. While not a fan of Section 8, I have to say in the county where I had experience with them, they actually had very strict controls. during annual inspections, I would be written up if a closet door squeaked when it opened. Tenants were inspected several times throughout the year and every scratch they made recorded. I even had one inspector write a tenant up for the house being too cluttered.

Section 8 apparently varies across states and counties though, as to where you will find it and how strict they are regarding screening and monitoring those that apply.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
If section 8 came to her hood Im sure she would be among the first protestors...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
In 1980 Berkley Breathed lost his one and only paying cartooning job from a newspaper when he drew (and they published) his Star Trek Movie spoof "Honkey Trek- The White Flight".  (Which I, sadly, cannot find on the Interwebz.)

That is precisely what happened in Chicago.  All the original ethnicities  (Italians, Irish, Poles, Jews, and Germans) packed up and moved to the greener pastures of the suburbs in the late 60's-early 70's as Chicago schools declined, and the city became a liberal hell.

Now, the do-gooders in their continuing inability to think and use logic (only "feel"), and urge the suburbs to embrace "affordable housing".  Which means section 8, which means that the two sets of multiple apartment complexes at the east and west ends of Roosevelt Rd. (how appropriate) that are all section 8 also look like bullseye bookends when the police blotter report comes out in the weekly newspaper.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
....What I DO know is that there were no public housing residents, in our units or in Section 8, who were trying to "break the cycle of poverty." Au contraire, we were dealing with third and fourth generation public housing residents -- and this was 30 years ago. They didn't want to break the cycle of poverty, they wanted to perpetuate it. To them it was a gravy train.

And, at least in this city, nothing has changed (for the better) in the ensuing 30 years.

My family lived in a sec. 8 apartment complex for four years when I was a kid, living in Maine, in the early 80's (The location eliminates there being a racial angle to my observation, as that part of Maine at that time was all white). I personally only know of TWO families, mine being one of them who showed an eagerness to 'break the cycle of poverty' and get out.

This was an entire apartment complex, over a period of four years. Two families. Other families (typically not with a working dad) came and went, but always just to another section 8 situation down the road or across town.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
You want to know what's worse than the Section 8 For Life crowd?

Those that have gotten kicked out of Section 8 and are bouncing from motel to motel and then campground to campground after managing to pull the miracle of getting kicked out of their Section 8 housing. Those people are the most fun to deal with.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
I'll add to my observation above...

My family and the other family I mentioned (who got out) were the only families I can recall that had two stable parents that didn't have something glaringly wrong with their ability to self support. I can think of four other two parent families, one with both adults crippled, and three with no reliable income due to 'lifestyle choices'.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »

Those that have gotten kicked out of Section 8 and are bouncing from motel to motel and then campground to campground after managing to pull the miracle of getting kicked out of their Section 8 housing. Those people are the most fun to deal with.

GOD YES!!
the folks we have worried quite a bit about getting tossed off. they waited a long time on waiting list and if booted no second chances
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »

And you are more than welcome to them.  NIMBY,L,SB,P,OT.*

*-Not In My Backyard, Library, Starbucks, Parks, Or Town.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.